Photography

20200607_121458_Olympus.JPG

I read @Ghost 's original post the other day, got me thinking about my pictures. Last week, the second time at Longridge Fell, I dug out our old (2008!) Olympus u820, as it has a 5x telephoto. Today's photo is Shutlingsloe, the Cheshire Matterhorn, with 2-3x zoom. Not bad for a bit of ancient tech!

I had a Lumia 950, which I would still be using if it were not for Whatsapp, which still gives stunning image quality compared to most new smartphones. All my other pics here have been with my Sony XZ2 Compact, which I think has the best compromise between size (i.e. small) and image quality. Not up to the Lumia, but pretty good.

The Olympus compares quite well with the Sony when I did a landscapes comparison; it's only 8MP and a different (softer) colour balance, doesn't have the HDR colours but the Sony sharpens a little too much, as most phones seem to.

Anyone have a recomendation for an updated version of the Olympus? small and pocketable, but with decent telephoto.

View attachment 73194

I read @Ghost 's original post the other day, got me thinking about my pictures. Last week, the second time at Longridge Fell, I dug out our old (2008!) Olympus u820, as it has a 5x telephoto. Today's photo is Shutlingsloe, the Cheshire Matterhorn, with 2-3x zoom. Not bad for a bit of ancient tech!

I had a Lumia 950, which I would still be using if it were not for Whatsapp, which still gives stunning image quality compared to most new smartphones. All my other pics here have been with my Sony XZ2 Compact, which I think has the best compromise between size (i.e. small) and image quality. Not up to the Lumia, but pretty good.

The Olympus compares quite well with the Sony when I did a landscapes comparison; it's only 8MP and a different (softer) colour balance, doesn't have the HDR colours but the Sony sharpens a little too much, as most phones seem to.

Anyone have a recomendation for an updated version of the Olympus? small and pocketable, but with decent telephoto.

Hi @CAB ... I’m still using. Canon 550d but with new lenses..but have a look at Canon Powershot range very similar to your olympus
the more you pay the better the range and other tech stuff.....it’s the picture that says it all not the camera :thumbsup:

ps giving your locations has helped me to find new places of interest to visit....keep it up

Reactions: CAB
View attachment 73194

I’ve got a Panasonic Lumix TZ200 which took the Beetle photo above and also has a really good zoom....D4D586C0-4829-4B32-A6A3-64E4BED36B50.png

Back