Phillips H4 LED bulbs, any T6 reviews?

Bryn23

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I was reading about the options for replacing the VW candle bulbs and i noticed that someone said that Phillips were releasing a H4 LED, well i had a b it of a look and they are out and wanted to know if anyone has fitted them.

At $240 AUD they aren't cheap, but cheaper than a full led headlight change.

Buy the Philips X-treme Ultinon LED car headlight bulb 12953BWX2 car headlight bulb

I've got a set of Phillips 130+ that i have been meaning to fit, as i was shocked when driving home one rainey night... i had to flick from auto to on, as i wasn't sure if they were on.... (ended up with a flat battery next morning as i forgot to turn them off)

But I'm thinking these Phillips LED these might be a better option, look well built, but would be nice to know if they are worth the extra coin.

Curiosity piqued I went looking for these. Philips UK website invites you to 'Upgrade your existing halogen head- & fog bulbs to the latest LED technology'
but then follows it up with apparently no information at all - even the embedded site video is unavailable.
I'm interested, but guessing there may still be UK legal hurdles to clear?

I was reading about the options for replacing the VW candle bulbs and i noticed that someone said that Phillips were releasing a H4 LED, well i had a b it of a look and they are out and wanted to know if anyone has fitted them.

At $240 AUD they aren't cheap, but cheaper than a full led headlight change.

Buy the Philips X-treme Ultinon LED car headlight bulb 12953BWX2 car headlight bulb

I've got a set of Phillips 130+ that i have been meaning to fit, as i was shocked when driving home one rainey night... i had to flick from auto to on, as i wasn't sure if they were on.... (ended up with a flat battery next morning as i forgot to turn them off)

But I'm thinking these Philips LED these might be a better option, look well built, but would be nice to know if they are worth the extra coin.
Guys, just looked at Phillips UK website and not yet available :cry:, probably lacking EU homologation. Best available are Racing Vision at 150%.

Note the previous two posts crossed in the ether as I researched too.

Pros & cons here, badly adjusted headlights are a real issue, auto adjusters are too slow to react on cars with current LED fitted vehicles.

Looks like be blind looking or be blinded by others is our current predicament!

The e mark can never be applied to LED bulbs or hid using the filament bulb base, as that is the reason for the differing bases. Therefore it is technically illegal to use the conversion bulbs for road use..

However all I'd say is use them on lights you do not rely on for driving at night, and can be turned off, e.g front fogs, reversing lights only. Everything else could constitute a moving violation including the headlight mounted drl.

The e mark can never be applied to LED bulbs or hid using the filament bulb base, as that is the reason for the differing bases. Therefore it is technically illegal to use the conversion bulbs for road use..

However all I'd say is use them on lights you do not rely on for driving at night, and can be turned off, e.g front fogs, reversing lights only. Everything else could constitute a moving violation including the headlight mounted drl.
and High beam only on a twin H7 setup...

I'd steer clear of the headlights, as could dazzle an oncoming officer of the law, and he would then have a real reason to have a go..
Do you drive round with high beam on then? as any high beam will dazzle regardless of whats fitted.

Lol, no, but if you get caught out down a back road, the law might have a word, as led are F off bright, then if they figure they are none std........... H7 should be bright enough as std.. If not spend the wonga and do the job properly... Spec it on order is the only sensible advice...

Guys, just looked at Phillips UK website and not yet available :cry:, probably lacking EU homologation. Best available are Racing Vision at 150%.
The trouble is that the Australians are happy to sell/fit them but we are bound up in EU red tape that currently requires that LED Headlamps be fitted with a self-levelling system (and washers?) so it could be years before they get round to testing, let alone approving, these H4 dual 'filament' bulbs :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: that could improve night driving :whistle:.

However the rules do mean we don't get blinded at night; too much.
Current Merc LEDs are too bright; really dazzle oncoming drivers. Not seen the VW T6 LEDs on at night (only the rather OTT DRLs) but I suspect they are near the line of being too bright for oncoming drivers.

Good lights are good, dazzling other road users is not good. So while VW has clearly dropped the ball on standard lights, it's probably best we stick to rules made for the safety of others.

The searchlight on the Coastguard helicopter will set fire to grass at 10ft or nearer and its been done; now that IS bright.

The other sod off/too bright a light imho, are the ambulance led blues.. Unless there are two settings, day and night, and the muppets around my way are using the brighter day settings all the time.. I mean, they DONT NEED to be THAT bright! They Certainly dazzle me, and are blinding if stuck behind one at night...

The other sod off/too bright a light imho, are the ambulance led blues.. Unless there are two settings, day and night, and the muppets around my way are using the brighter day settings all the time.. I mean, they DONT NEED to be THAT bright! They Certainly dazzle me, and are blinding if stuck behind one at night...
Some Police lights are OTT too.

I think you 2 need to lie down in a dark room for a while :):)

Whilst it is up to others what they wish to do, it is worth the voice of caution as well as reason, as otherwise they could go ahead blind to the implications, and I hate the I'm all right Jack, sod everyone else attitude of some modders.. All mods should be done with careful thought to their effects.. Oh and I don't mind playing Devils advocate..

Oh, I forgot to add, it's also useful to shed some light as to why the led conversion bulbs are not approved for anything other than off road usage..

Back