TSi MPG

That’s interesting.
The 150bhp Petrol Caravelle I’ve had this last week isn’t great IMO.
The sound is dreadful when you floor it and it runs out of legs very quickly.
Stuck £30 in the other day, covered 109 miles which isn’t great considering there’s nothing in it.

Saying that, agree about how quiet the engine is. It’s much nicer to drive round town than the diesels. Almost like a limo.
Definitely need to spec DSG with the petrols. The one I have on loan is manual, but imagine DSG would suit the way it drives a lot better.

I would imagine the 150TSI is a little underpowered in a Caravelle, which is quite heavy - You'd have to work it harder to go anywhere, and therefore MPG is shocking - I have found similar results with the older 140/180 TDI engines in the T5 California's. The 140 was thirstier and, IMO, underpowered, the bigger HP engine suited it so much better.

I would imagine the 150TSI is a little underpowered in a Caravelle, which is quite heavy - You'd have to work it harder to go anywhere, and therefore MPG is shocking - I have found similar results with the older 140/180 TDI engines in the T5 California's. The 140 was thirstier and, IMO, underpowered, the bigger HP engine suited it so much better.

True.
The 180 was ok, if you could find one that didn’t consume 10litres of oil every other week :rolleyes:

I can’t understand why Volkswagen are still supplying these silly little 2.0 engines.
The Transporter has struggled with underpowered units since VW dumped the 2.5 5pot. Even the 204 feels like it’s serious lacking compared to that thing.

BMW supply their cars with a 6 cyclinder Diesel and have great emission numbers and fuel consumption figures.

I can’t understand why Volkswagen are still supplying these silly little 2.0 engines.
The Transporter has struggled with underpowered units since VW dumped the 2.5 5pot. Even the 204 feels like it’s serious lacking compared to that thing.

Can't agree with that at all, my 150 is so much quicker, torqueer (not a real word :D) and more economical than my 130 5 pot. I wouldn't go back for any money! Realistically I think the future is for even more displacement downsizing as technology gets better and especially once electric motors are added to increase torque and economy. And unfortunately even BMW are speedily backing away from 6 pots apart from their top performance models, and I am sad about that.

You cannot be serious right...???
When I moved from my 130 5 pot to the 140 4 pot, I felt Volkswagen were miss leading us with their performance stats.
I remember the old 2.5 would accelerate with ease up hills fully loaded and on motorways put your foot down and the thing would move.

The 140 in comparison lacks the mid range grunt, but Volkswagen said it had more torque and power. That was before the emissions scandal.
You know where I’m going with this, right.

Will agree the fuel consumption on the 140 was marginally better. But then once you factor in failed dpfs etc, where was the real world cost savings...?

Too right I'm serious! I've never driven the 140 but it surely can't be that far off the 150 which is as quick as I want from a 2.5 ton van, something I never thought about my T5. As for fuel econom, 26-28mpg from the 2.5 and 36+mpg from my T6 is a hell of a real world saving...

I have to say, now that my 150bhp (6 speed manual) has a few thousand miles under its belt, it's actually beginning to feel quite spritely. I'm averaging 40ish mpg (manual calculation as opposed to Multi Fictional Display!). I've always been a massive advocate of petrol......and always despised diesel with a passion, but I'll reserve judgement until I've driven a petrol T6. I suspect diesel is the best (most efficient) way of powering a T6......shame I bought a diesel just as the experts changed their minds as to the suitability of diesel as a fuel! I had a ride in a BMW X5 hybrid the other day......my god, petrol and electric......what a combo! Never thought I'd say it being a petrol head, but a hybrid T6 would get my attention for sure!! Sadly, I suspect us diesel drivers will be about as popular as Jimmy Saville before long!! :(

Can't wait for a petrol hybrid. If they are anything like the Golf GTE they'll be perfect.

I ordered a Petrol T6 204 dsg a while ago, as I’ve gradually been getting rid of my Diesel vehicles, RR Sport was the first to go,since then I’ve only got petrol vehicles.

So today I went across to Oli, Bognor Motors to have a drive of one of his new Petrol VW Vans, WOW after driving the Cali Ocean in the past what a revelation the 204 dsg Petrol is, first of all it is just so so quiet, then secondly when you are sitting there waiting to pull away you can actually feel the instant power available as you start to feed it in, but when you floor it it’s instant power just so so much better than the diesel 204 and it just goes and goes, and if you need to prove something so easy to play with as it’s the 2.0 Gti engine, I can’t remember how much more is available on tap but a stupid amount, so all the arguments about the Petrol being a slug just don’t hold any ground at all.
Only sour ones if you don’t have the Petrol version.
The only point that I would make at present is that it is not available in 4motion, so it will be all new to me this time around as I have had Range Rovers for the last 20 yrs.
Don’t believe me look up my cars for petrol power.

I'm certainly not sour, I'd love to get rid of my diesel and replace it with petrol - I just couldn't afford the fuel it would take to drive a 204 petrol in a way that would make it worth having over a diesel. As mentioned, a petrol hybrid is the way to go, I spent a week borrowing my business partner's C350e and it's great with the power of a hottish petrol with the fuel economy of a diesel (rubbish noise though). A 150PS petrol with a 50+PS electric motor would have me swapping like a shot!

I'm certainly not sour, I'd love to get rid of my diesel and replace it with petrol - I just couldn't afford the fuel it would take to drive a 204 petrol in a way that would make it worth having over a diesel. As mentioned, a petrol hybrid is the way to go, I spent a week borrowing my business partner's C350e and it's great with the power of a hottish petrol with the fuel economy of a diesel (rubbish noise though). A 150PS petrol with a 50+PS electric motor would have me swapping like a shot!

The other great thing about the Petrol which not necessarily surprised me was the engine/ exhaust note noise which only a Petrol can give you.
Fuel wise I cannot comment but when I have mine you will soon hear about.
Great reply though, cheers

The other great thing about the Petrol which not necessarily surprised me was the engine/ exhaust note noise which only a Petrol can give you.
Fuel wise I cannot comment but when I have mine you will soon hear about.
Great reply though, cheers
I'm looking forward to some real world mpg figures when these start getting delivered. If they can achieve close to 30in normal use then a lot of people will have to have a serious think whether they want to stick with diesel. If it's nearer to 20 it just may not be feasible for many while diesel and petrol are the same price at the pumps (I expect that to change quite soon!)

I'm looking forward to some real world mpg figures when these start getting delivered. If they can achieve close to 30in normal use then a lot of people will have to have a serious think whether they want to stick with diesel. If it's nearer to 20 it just may not be feasible for many while diesel and petrol are the same price at the pumps (I expect that to change quite soon!)

I think also one other major item will be on whether your VW or whatever you are driving is Euro 6 compliant, for instance I live on the Isle f Wight and Portsmouth & Southampton are one of the Cities that are going to be charging a fee if you are not, look it up on the internet, there are loads of Cities/Towns that will be charging.
Not sure how though ?

Agreed, the value of Euro 5 and earlier vehicles will fall off a cliff at some time in the medium future.

Last edited:
Until the petrols offer similar torque and mpg to the equivalent diesel, there is no way I can run a petrol. My experience of a petrol Shuttle earlier this year in Germany was woeful. Come on hybrids!

Agreed, the value of Euro 5 and earler vehicles will fall off a cliff at some time in the medium future.

Sad really, because so many people have a lot of their savings in their M/homes, and someone can just come along and say sorry m8 you can’t use that anymore .
I suppose really, which I thought about was to buy a T5 gut it and do something silly like stick a V8 small block chevi in, now that would be cool, as it’s my favourite engine
Until the petrols offer similar torque and mpg to the equivalent diesel, there is no way I can run a petrol. My experience of a petrol Shuttle earlier this year in Germany was woeful. Come on hybrids!

Hybrids you are talking light years away, and they have only just started talking Petrol and we are not even into 4Motion which is still to come
I think that Diesel van/Car owners either are sworn diesel sniffers or they are believing in the after life ?
If you have a diesel then all the talk will be about Torque, I’ve been there, but it is coming to the end
because nothing is going to happen in a year or two and that Petrol mpg will evolve as it has done with cars over time, but the power is there already and everything else there isn’t any difference plus most people would prefer a clean Petrol, and they wouldn’t be selling them so well in Germany if they didn’t have a captive market and VW are not stupid whatever you might think of them.
Just think, they don’t even offer a brochure of the vans these days it’s all on-line like most other manufacturers do, they don’t need to but they sell more that any other manufacturer,and at super inflated prices, but why do we buy them because of their quality and lack of problems, if not change and buy Vauxhall ,Renault etc

Sorry but someone has to be the Devils Advocate especially as I’m a bit of a Petrolhead, never mind the mpg

I’m that sure Caulkhead knows what he’s talking about. Maybe he feels he needs to justify his Petrol version.
But they simply do not have the mid-range torque and the sound is anything but pleasant. It’s not something you would want to be revving to the redline.

That’s a complete unbiased opinion from experience.

I was really hoping for better, l mean really. I want to replace my current van, but won’t go down the diesel route whilst they have this adblu rubbish.
Which leaves me with a problem.

Plus side, the engine is quiet and agree the engine moves quick enough off the mark from standing. No dpfs or adblu to worry about which is a massive plus point.
Fuel consumption, I’m not to bothered. Even if you only get mid 20s, there’s less to go wrong, long term, hence less to spend and will probably save you money over diesel.

I’m off to the east coast in a minute with a full tank. I guess I will find out what kind of figures this Petrol does.

Mid 20s would be just about acceptable to me, it’s high teens that would concern me if that’s what it returns - I used to get mid 20s from my Mk 5 Golf GTI with a similar engine...

Come and try the 204TSI. I think you’ll find it a different animal to the 150TSi. Although I’ve not driven the 150, I’ve been driving the 204 since it arrived this week and it has felt far from lacking. In fact power and torque feels greater in every area, over the Bitdi, which is a cracking engine. So far I’m really impressed (although I was always going to be biased as I love petrol)

Back