TSi MPG

Whatever happens, I shall be buying Petrol as Diesel is definitely on it's way out and the Cities of Europe now charging us to enter.
The new TSI is all new once people start buying them there will be maps etc for better fuel economy, acceleration etc.
Diesels will always be more torquey, but will gradually get phased out for electric or hybrids anyway.

2 Ltr petrol can produce towards 300 BHP in road form as per Golf R, but it will not have enough torque to drag a van with the weight and aerodynamics of a T6 up much of a hill. Ideal petrol engine would have 6 cylinders and more capacity. In theory the electric / hybrids are great but charging a battery from the mains is not "clean" and the making of these batteries is destroying parts of the world at an alarming rate, and I am not a tree hugger. Baz

2 Ltr petrol can produce towards 300 BHP in road form as per Golf R, but it will not have enough torque to drag a van with the weight and aerodynamics of a T6 up much of a hill. Ideal petrol engine would have 6 cylinders and more capacity. In theory the electric / hybrids are great but charging a battery from the mains is not "clean" and the making of these batteries is destroying parts of the world at an alarming rate, and I am not a tree hugger. Baz

Never had much of a problem going up hills in my old Land Rovers, so can't see that much of a problem with the new petrols.
Apart from the fact I can't see VW selling a vehicle which is not fit for purpose, I'm not saying that there can't be problems but no different to any other manufacturer.
Maybe it will end up with larger petrol who knows, but at least VW are thinking the right way and moving forward with Petrol as Diesel is going to be phased out.

I quite agree with you regards the Battery/Electric/hybrids though.

Stop me if I'm wrong here, but in none of the current hybrids does the electric motor assist the petrol motor when needed , i.e. under load like hauling your ass up a long incline. I know in the Porsche, Ferrari, and Maclaren the electric motors do assist the petrol engines, but……they are a different ball game, and will that technology be cheap enough, soon enough? In theory, small, light, probably turbo petrol, assisted by an electric motor would be ideal, but………..is that what we will get?

Got to be more than the TSi...
The latest 3,6l VR6 has the same max torque as the TSI204 at 350Nm if I found the correct figures.

If I would be towing a caravan I would have gone with a Diesel. I would imagine fuel economy would be convincing.

I won't be giving up my 204 BiTdi any time soon that's for sure

Stop me if I'm wrong here, but in none of the current hybrids does the electric motor assist the petrol motor when needed , i.e. under load like hauling your ass up a long incline. I know in the Porsche, Ferrari, and Maclaren the electric motors do assist the petrol engines, but……they are a different ball game, and will that technology be cheap enough, soon enough? In theory, small, light, probably turbo petrol, assisted by an electric motor would be ideal, but………..is that what we will get?

Volvo uses the electric motors as booster in some models as you described. Smaller combustion engines driving the front and electric on the rear wheel for extra power

Volvo uses the electric motors as booster in some models as you described. Smaller combustion engines driving the front and electric on the rear wheel for extra power
I'm pretty sure that Volvo's config is the ideal solution. It is the alternative power train I would wish for when the TDI 4-motion dsg is finally killed off. 95% of the time the petrols characteristics would be fine, but that instant torque the batteries can give would be ideal when you need it. And if they combine to give 400bhp like the Volvo T8 config (2litre petrol charged + batteries) with similar mpg as the diesel great. Down side, is the £12k uplift in price for that config.
A £70k Vel???, probably

Our first petrol T6 Kombi is on the ship on route to us - Its a 204 DSG, and will be on the rental fleet immediately so if anyone wants to try before you buy :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bring back the VR6...

And its complete lack of torque ...... ;-)

Just joined on here, so be gentle...

I actually have a V6 T5 and I don't think you can have driven one (not many have, as they sold so few). It has plenty of torque (about 80% of the torque of the most powerful contemporary diesel, the 174). You are more than welcome to have a spin in it :p

About the only thing against it is its age - even the newest are nearly 10. Hence my reason for being here, trying to find out what the tsi is like and whether it's an upgrade or not.

Last edited:
Back