TSi MPG

you wont need to go from 40mpg to 20mpg.......vw's figures for the petrol engine will be a work of fiction.....real world will be totally different! You can bet your boots it'll cost more than the diesel because they'll need to claw some money back for the emissions scandal.....not only that, they'll trade on the fact that everyone seems to be freaking out over diesel!!!

What I'm saying about the mpg is that I'm currently getting 40mpg but in an equivalent petrol I'll be getting 20. That was the reason I changed to a diesel 20'odd years ago.

Hybrid for me,when they arrive. Electric to get me to the motorway, then some kind of internal combustion engine to carry me along at a legal speed.

I was very keen on petrol having had a series of unreliable diesels, the worst being our 180 California.
But the T6 diesel engine seems pretty good and I think it probably suits a van more than a petrol engine. I'd be keen to see one being tested though - do they sound any good (four pots usually don't, even petrols)? The "lack" of torque won't be an issue as the gearing will be tweaked' the petrol 204 is quicker than the diesel apparently despite having the same power.

My first post on this forum. I live in Sweden and the last month VW had a campaign on the vw multivan. Not sure if you have that model in the uk or what it's called there.

Anyway, the selected cars had the tsi 150hp engine with manual gb, led lights, aux heater with remote (on petrol), park pilot with reverse camera, heated chairs in the front, 3 zone ac, foldable mirrors, composition media with app connect.

As you now realized, I bought one. Traded in my MB GLK to get a bus. Strange move...

Back to the topic. The TSI is driving really well. It's quite, almost no vibration and drivable from 1200rpm and up, however a bit lazy below 1700 or so. I've driven almost 1000km and the average consumption according to the mfd is 9,2l/100k. Not too bad imho.

This Wednesday it will go for a tune though. According to the firm it will get 257hp and 380NM. If it will reach 200 I would be happy. Volkswagen Multivan 2.0TFSI 150Hp 2012-2017 Stage 1

I have no connection to the tuning company except I placed an order with them.

To summarize, I'm happy with the engine as is and hopefully even more so on Thursday.

Sorry for a lot of text.

I would be cautious of claims of an extra 100bhp unless VW already have an option on sale with similar output running the same internals.

CO2 fee is large in Norway. For the 204 horspower version TDi and tsi, the petrol has a extra fee of approx 10.ooo pounds

It has the EA888 gen 2 engine which is available with 220hp stock. The tuner has the same tune for all versions.

Id stick with 220 then rather than 260 as that will be plenty quick enough ;) Let me know how it goes mate as this wont be my last T6 so will seriously consider a petrol if they can be remapped to a decent level with less issues than diesel.

Absolute opposite for me. Comparing figures Diesel wins on paper however petrol has double the rev range so you cannot compare.

Petrol any day.

My local dealer's response to the petrol availability query this week is outlined below. I have ordered a 2018 TDI but may well amend the order :)

I can confirm that Volkswagen are having a petrol option Transporter, we will be launching two new petrol engines across the Transporter range at model year to mirror the current engine offering on Caravelle (150PS Manual and 204PS DSG). Expect to see availability across panel van, kombi, window van as well as Shuttle and California.
However, full availability and pricing will be announced closer to the time we open for order.

Right ok, changes within the 2018 model are as follows :

- City emergency braking – warns of hazardous situations and, when necessary, triggers emergency braking. Multi-Function display plus with Driver Alert: monitors the steering patterns and alerts the driver to take a break., this is now standard on all models and trim lines.

- Automatic headlights with daytime running lights and leaving home function, auto-dimming rear-view mirror, rain sensor (lights and vision pack), multi-function steering wheel are now standard on all trim levels

- The tailgate lights will flash when tailgate is unlocked.

Finally, there are other changes where certain items have been discontinued as extra options however will still remain standard if standard with that particular vehicle.

Having read a few of the previous posts mentioning T6 Kombi petrol being available 2018 model I checked as I think I would a got one. This is the disappointing reply.

Thank you for your recent contact to Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles UK. I am pleased to hear of your interest in the Transporter Kombi.

I have checked the model year changes; regrettably, the 2018 Transporter Kombi, now available to order, is not due to be released with a petrol engine. I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

Our role is as an importer of Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles to the UK and to provide sales and aftersales care, therefore, we have no input in the design process. Our German Parent Company, Volkswagen AG, is responsible for the design of our vehicles. We employ a large team of highly skilled engineers in our Design Team. I have passed on your comments, which will help to provide the manufacturer with up to date feedback. As you may appreciate, it can take time for such changes to be implemented. However, improvements are often made on the basis of customer comments.

Interesting, as its not actually available to order yet?! VW are typically slow in rolling anything out. VW UK told me last week, that full petrol Transporter details are out this coming week (although they've told me this for the last two weeks!)

I wait with baited breath as always......

Why the petrol? CO2 is higher and going for a 150hp diesel will be in the approx. range as a 200hp petrol with regards to NOx. You are fooled to pick petrol over diesel because of fear of diesel ban? By the way the euro6 is not affected by the ban in most cities. Demonised diesel? Blahh...

For me personally as a petrol head, it quieter, smoother, equally as good MPG, fuel is cheaper, probably more fun to drive, I could go on all day. Petrol over diesel everytime. I've been waiting for the petrol Transporter for a couple of years now.

Its good we are not all the same, and want different things, or we'd all drive white transits ;-)

Why the petrol? CO2 is higher and going for a 150hp diesel will be in the approx. range as a 200hp petrol with regards to NOx. You are fooled to pick petrol over diesel because of fear of diesel ban? By the way the euro6 is not affected by the ban in most cities. Demonised diesel? Blahh...
I was quite sold on diesel - our first, a new Astra 1.9CDTI 150 wasn't exactly the top of it's game but it was quite nippy. Then the swirl flaps failed at 38k miles and it was a massive hassle to get it sorted (NEVER buy a Vauxhall - products okay at times, customer service is DIRE). So then I spotted the BMW 335d - massive torque, big power, sounded good. Now that was a great car. Not great on fuel but it covered most bases but it got a bit old and a few chassis issues meant we looked around and the M135i caught our eye.

Our second diesel was a Land Rover Defender 110XS (2007); EVERYTHING went wrong with it and I soon tired of paying massive RFL, fuel and servicing on a "fast tractor" with a Ford Transit engine. So off it went. In it's place went a new VW California 180 4motion - the mutts nuts to us and many others. Then the problems started - EGR valves, a new ECU, multiple software updates plus a load of non engine/emissions stuff.

So we finally threw in the towel and that was it - no more diesels. Post 2010(ish) the emissions strangling nonsense just killed reliability. In a race to cut emissions they basically did the same as sticking a gauze over a turd pipe and claiming it reduces "emissions" - yep it does briefly but it soon gets clogged... DPFs, EGR valves, EGR coolers to cool the over hot EGR valves, DMFs to cope with the torque, the list went on. One "solution" to a previously unheard of issue followed another.

So yes, a diesel may have a bit better mpg but that's totally killed by endless issues. Want to nip to the shops? Don't take a diesel. It doesn't "like" it.
Want to drop the kids off on the school run? Again a no no in your delicate diesel.

So we ended up with a pair of trouble free petrol cars.

Realising we really missed a camper, we searched petrol options - there were almost none. So we did our research and the T6 Euro 6 engine had a much less stressed EGR system (initially I thought it didn't have one at all) and was based on the Golf engine - total re-design. So we bit the bullet, got the longest warranty possible and now use the other two cars for any short trips. A short one in the T6 and it complains very loudly.

So that's why people don't like diesels - not only are they far less responsive, sound mostly horrible (unless six or more cylinders) and have a tiny weeny power band, they also like to break down. A lot.

Back