TSi MPG

This is a truly pointless thread when petrol heads get involved. They just don't get why a Van driver would want torque, the sort of torque that comes as standard with a diesel. Hopefully sometime in the near future a hybrid will be available that will seamlessly take over from the oil burners, but as for now a petrol T6 is just not up to the job for most Van drivers needs.

It wasn't a pointless thread to begin with. It's just unfortunate that a couple of people have gone a little off topic with their own agenda perhaps.

This is a truly pointless thread when petrol heads get involved. They just don't get why a Van driver would want torque, the sort of torque that comes as standard with a diesel. Hopefully sometime in the near future a hybrid will be available that will seamlessly take over from the oil burners, but as for now a petrol T6 is just not up to the job for most Van drivers needs.
I've used vans for commercial purposes since the MK2 transit and gone on to use Vito's, Sprinters, Vivaros etc. Now I'm just about to retire I no longer need to drag half a dozen people and all their kit along. I want a nice quiet, torquey petrol, privately owned, avoiding all the mechanical risk associated with trying to make diesel clean to convert into a camper. It's not just commercial users on here as you seem to suggest.

Agreed, am using petrol one as a car.

Hi fellow t6 petrol guys.
Please help. I really want a performance air filter, k&n do one but it's the flat one that just goes inside the box. I really want a cone induction kit version. I'm not looking for performance gains but anyone who's had a induction kit before knows how nice they sound on acceleration. Unfortunately I can't find anywhere that do them yet? Anyone know anything?

Cheers guys

Hi fellow t6 petrol guys.
Please help. I really want a performance air filter, k&n do one but it's the flat one that just goes inside the box. I really want a cone induction kit version. I'm not looking for performance gains but anyone who's had a induction kit before knows how nice they sound on acceleration. Unfortunately I can't find anywhere that do them yet? Anyone know anything?

Cheers guys
It'll lose you power, the only thing guaranteed to maintain factory power is the factory filter or no filter.....or a salad bowl...... you risk a check engine light if you don't have it mapped for a cone, a stock petrol turbo stage 1 tune rarely has a new filter, stage 2 maps often have a filter factored in. Watch this, ok it's a carb set up but it's still valid.

It'll lose you power, the only thing guaranteed to maintain factory power is the factory filter or no filter.....or a salad bowl...... you risk a check engine light if you don't have it mapped for a cone, a stock petrol turbo stage 1 tune rarely has a new filter, stage 2 maps often have a filter factored in. Watch this, ok it's a carb set up but it's still valid.
Kinda doesn't help, basically they are saying no air filter lol. Totally agree with warning lights thou, had one on my Peugeot and it jumped into limp home mode!
I'm not in it to gain horsepower but just to sound awesome.
Love to know how much the standard airfillter restricts the engine as it's a bit of a maze under there, even thou I know it's tuned for it.

Log with vag com your MAF reading with OEM airbox and air filter.
Then go for a short run with just metal mesh attached in front of the MAF and log again MAF reading.
Then you will know if any restriction from original Air box and filter.

This test can be done in less than an hour.

I guess the max you could get will be around 5 to 8 Gr/S so about 3 to 5 HP. Not worth the money you will never fill it.
Get it remap. You will feel that.

PS: stay away from any oiled filter ( K&N......) if you don't want to contaminate your MAF

Last edited:

My T6 TSI 4Motion remaped has over 400Nm from 2000 Rpm to 5000rpm and a peak at 460 Nm ( 339 LB/ft) but then can pull to 6500 rpm.
So kind of a diesel low down with gazoline top end.

The new petrol engine with GDI, on fly adjustable valve timing and valve lift can me low down torque monster with also some top end. just a win win. we art not talking of petrol engine of last millenium :) :) :)

this what a EA888 Gen 2 with OEM turbo and stage 2 E85 remap is capable. No torque their? :) :)
https://www.goapr.com/includes/img/..._b85/20_tfsi_long_b85_s0_vs_s2_tbe_e85_cc.png

Or a VW T6 TSI stage 1
https://images.dvxperformance.com/uploads//graphs/2491516986445/grafieksitest1tfsi204.jpg

Last edited:
Soo.....it 3 to 4 years time will I be able to buy a Kombi that can carry 5 of us and half a tonne of gear, do 40mpg+ and still be worth something when it comes time to change?

With the recent showcase of the electric crafter, I cant see the Transporter being far behind........ MPG will be come a thing of the past ! Unfortunately :-(

Ok, so forget mpg as a term, but how about range? I need a minimum of 400 miles. I have colleagues with Teslas and their range is a joke in real life use. I need the vehicle to work 12 months of the year, I'd be happy with a hybrid, as long as it does the job I'm paying it to do.

Looks like the options have now been pulled on the VW Configuration? Love my new TSI - as for torque with a remap it'll sit somewhere in between a diesel so no issue there, when it keeps revving to 300hp I'll be laughing!

I picked up t6 t30 150 dsg tdi 6k worth of extras Nov 17. With all the resent bad press and poor sales of diesels. I wished I had bought a tsi as I will be handing this back in 3 years on a PCP as I am sure the value of all diesels will fall like a brick and I don't want to be left with it. Very disappoint T6 owner.

Back