TSi MPG

Depends what type of van it is and what you’re part-exing against, mine is a Feb 17 Westfalia from-new conversion and in a moment of weakness 2 weeks ago when I’d had enough of my stupid locks I enquired about chopping it in for a larger pvc Campervan and was stunned to be offered only £4.5k less than I paid for it and the salesman said he could have got on the phone and found a buyer the same day!

While I didn’t get an official valuation, a year after we bought our Cali it was worth more than we paid for it; thanks to 11% of price rises since we bought it and the rather epic discount we got. I’ve seen high spec Highlines for sale recently for more than we paid.

Could probably still get not far off what we paid for it today.

However what tends to happen is that you decide to sell it at the wrong time and get offered about £10.

While the hit we took on our last Cali wasn’t too awful, it was still an £11k drop in 3.5 years and that was super low miles and utterly mint condition; I was offered far far less from a local main dealer too.

VW vans hang onto their value well in general but I find it’s often circumstance that dictates price rather than some book value.

Let’s also not forget that a year ago it felt like diesels cards were marked; suddenly they were out of vogue; in fact it sounds like there’s another scandal affecting T6s now.

What the petrols win on by miles is drivaeability but also the lack of “short journey”
guilt which is often hidden from diesel ownership stories.

Been whizzing around in ours doing house stuff (actually using it as a van!); short journeys but enough to heat up the emissions crap they come with. Journey length shouldn’t be an issue but it is.

Oh and that flat spot in power at 2800rpm is winding me up.

Last edited:
While I didn’t get an official valuation, a year after we bought our Cali it was worth more than we paid for it; thanks to 11% of price rises since we bought it and the rather epic discount we got. I’ve seen high spec Highlines for sale recently for more than we paid.

Could probably still get not far off what we paid for it today.

However what tends to happen is that you decide to sell it at the wrong time and get offered about £10.

While the hit we took on our last Cali wasn’t too awful, it was still an £11k drop in 3.5 years and that was super low miles and utterly mint condition; I was offered far far less from a local main dealer too.
Yep the guy I spoke to said if I wanted to sell it privately I would probably get close to, or more than I paid for it, largely due to the fact that buying the same vehicle today would be almost £9k more than I paid thanks to the Euro dropping like a stone after I paid (the £ was worth €1.30 at that point!!). He did say though that the conventional thinking of people only buying campers/motorhomes mainly in the spring didn’t seem to apply any more and that more were looking at this time of year as they think they would be getting a bargain, which was tending to even out the seasonal valuations to a certain extent.

Depends what type of van it is and what you’re part-exing against, mine is a Feb 17 Westfalia from-new conversion and in a moment of weakness 2 weeks ago when I’d had enough of my stupid locks I enquired about chopping it in for a larger pvc Campervan and was stunned to be offered only £4.5k less than I paid for it and the salesman said he could have got on the phone and found a buyer the same day!
Westfalia's heritage is gold.
It's an interesting thread, and I would certainly test drive a petrol if I was buying today. I suspect that because our van only does maybe 3 journeys per week and 1 of them is always along one, I think diesel would still suite us best. However if I was running around on short journeys a good % of the time, I would probably be swayed towards a TSI. We've now got 22kmiles on our 204, and only once has the dreaded dpf light come on. I had to take it on a 30 minute drive at 2400 revs ish for it to turn off. At that point I had just called VW assist who had started to tell me to park up and await a technician. These egr/dpf/ad-blu's really are bloody awful, and a costly PITA just waiting to happen. We have the 5 year/80k miles warrantee. We usually keep our Vels longer than that (£10k worth of extras to amortise), but I think when the new fuels or hybrids come along I guess we will be tempted to jump at that point; but the TSI alone I don't think would be for us.

Yep the guy I spoke to said if I wanted to sell it privately I would probably get close to, or more than I paid for it, largely due to the fact that buying the same vehicle today would be almost £9k more than I paid thanks to the Euro dropping like a stone after I paid (the £ was worth €1.30 at that point!!). He did say though that the conventional thinking of people only buying campers/motorhomes mainly in the spring didn’t seem to apply any more and that more were looking at this time of year as they think they would be getting a bargain, which was tending to even out the seasonal valuations to a certain extent.
I rebuilt ours on the VW website out of interest. We ordered it 2 years ago, if I was ordering it again today it would be £7700 more , or £7k after discount!!!

My old 2006 335d was peak diesel I reckon; it was made before EGR valves, etc and had no DMF to fail as it was auto.
No DPF either; six years of total reliability, not a single emissions problem. No worries about short journeys and while it wasn’t exactly a Prius for mpg it certainly was good on fuel.
Serious power, massive torque and it even sounded good too. A guy my friends works with owns it now and it’s still rock solid even after a big remap to 350bhp/510lbs/ft (I ran it standard but it was still very quick).

But now they are strangled with DPFs, etc and while really quick, I just couldn’t trust one.

So well done the bent legislators who seized on diesels lowish CO2 output, drove it down with dreadful devices that don’t work and completely screwed up a type of engine that was, for a limited time,bloody brilliant.

Yea, in a moment of madness I nearly went and p/x the van for a 204 TSI Hiline which will cost just over £45k, and i was offered £18k less than i paid for mine just over a year ago! and a good job its was an Eu6 because if it was Eu5 they wouldn't have been interested.. I think are are just playing the game with the diesels hoping for a few people who will take the low offers..

Yea, in a moment of madness I nearly went and p/x the van for a 204 TSI Hiline which will cost just over £45k, and i was offered £18k less than i paid for mine just over a year ago! and a good job its was an Eu6 because if it was Eu5 they wouldn't have been interested.. I think are are just playing the game with the diesels hoping for a few people who will take the low offers..
Exactly, they're just preying on the people who believe everything they read and are panicking and immediately chopping in for a petrol accepting huge losses (which they won't pass on to the next buyer). They'll rub their hands and do it all again to the petrol and diesel owners who have the same panic reaction when they bring a hybrid out.

Westfalia's heritage is gold.
It's an interesting thread, and I would certainly test drive a petrol if I was buying today. I suspect that because our van only does maybe 3 journeys per week and 1 of them is always along one, I think diesel would still suite us best. However if I was running around on short journeys a good % of the time, I would probably be swayed towards a TSI. We've now got 22kmiles on our 204, and only once has the dreaded dpf light come on. I had to take it on a 30 minute drive at 2400 revs ish for it to turn off. At that point I had just called VW assist who had started to tell me to park up and await a technician. These egr/dpf/ad-blu's really are bloomin awful, and a costly PITA just waiting to happen. We have the 5 year/80k miles warrantee. We usually keep our Vels longer than that (£10k worth of extras to amortise), but I think when the new fuels or hybrids come along I guess we will be tempted to jump at that point; but the TSI alone I don't think would be for us.
Yes different choices will suit different use cases. If I was doing low mileage with short journeys then I would consider the petrol - but there again, if that was my usage I wouldn't looking at a Transporter at all. Mine's not my main vehicle, nor do I use it for work, it's a campervan and does long journeys only. I've done 7000 miles in 6 months averaging a true 35.7mpg and never had a stationary regen or a DPF light so a diesel is the right choice for me. I couldn't handle mid 20s fuel economy, but that's just my usage. Everyone should take the decision that is right for them, whether petrol, diesel, or just get out of the market for a while if residuals concern you. Just don't get badgered by the opinions of those who shout the loudest that their choice of one or the other is the one that everyone should make, they're just trying to get validation to reassure themselves.

Yes different choices will suit different use cases. If I was doing low mileage with short journeys then I would consider the petrol - but there again, if that was my usage I wouldn't looking at a Transporter at all. Mine's not my main vehicle, nor do I use it for work, it's a campervan and does long journeys only. I've done 7000 miles in 6 months averaging a true 35.7mpg and never had a stationary regen or a DPF light so a diesel is the right choice for me. I couldn't handle mid 20s fuel economy, but that's just my usage. Everyone should take the decision that is right for them, whether petrol, diesel, or just get out of the market for a while if residuals concern you. Just don't get badgered by the opinions of those who shout the loudest that their choice of one or the other is the one that everyone should make, they're just trying to get validation to reassure themselves.

This is the most "nail on head" comment I've seen on this forum - ever. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is the most "nail on head" comment I've seen on this forum - ever. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi Polzeylad.

I don't know if the item in the article below should have a thread of it's own. I am sure you are already familiar with the subject. 'Gasoline Particulate Filter'.... GPF. Before I placed my order six weeks ago I tried to find out from VW when they would appear in the T6 TSI range. Nobody could answer the question...naturally. So I went ahead anyway and placed my order for the T6 TSI 150. From what I had read about DPF problems, I guessed that GPFs might well have problems of their own. The article below suggests not. The issue will not stop me from letting my order go ahead. But I am curious if you or anyone else on the forum knows if Particulate Filters can be successfully retrofitted....when the time comes for it to be necessary to do so. I hope I am not imposing on your time.

Marg; I’m afraid I don’t know but any “particulate filter” is basically catching nasties then relying on heat to burn it up; not good on short journeys IMO.

Marg; I’m afraid I don’t know but any “particulate filter” is basically catching nasties then relying on heat to burn it up; not good on short journeys IMO.

According to the article the exhaust emissions from petrol are much hotter then diesel and so the filter is constantly self cleaning and never gets clogged up. Sounds good....if it is actually true.

What makes me laugh is people buying these vehicles and covering 50 miles a week and then complaining they don’t work right.
Transporters were never designed to sit around collecting dust and if your mileage is so low, why on earth do you need one...?

Without doubt, ad blu, dpf and egrs are the diesels Achilles heel.
However after 5 years and 55000 miles driving my 2012 I’ve never had any issues with any of the above or anything else engine based.

It’s why the decision to jump into a T6 is so difficult.
Plus factoring in the eye watering price hikes from Volkswagen and the roof corrosion scandal, but that’s a whole other story...

What makes me laugh is people buying these vehicles and covering 50 miles a week and then complaining they don’t work right.
Transporters were never designed to sit around collecting dust and if your mileage is so low, why on earth do you need one...?

However after 5 years and 55000 miles driving my 2012 I’ve never had any issues with any of the above or anything else engine based.

Plus factoring in the eye watering price hikes from Volkswagen and the roof corrosion scandal, but that’s a whole other story...

I keep checking my roof; so far so good...

What does me me laugh, and it almost feels the power is more than quoted on the 204, is the torque steer under hard acceleration on the standard 17’s! It can be insane at times. I have to say, we have some with a couple of thousand miles on them now, and MPG aside, they are great fun, and can really hustle along! We are actually adding 20’s, and lowered suspension to one this week to see what difference that has on the drive - We are basically Sportlining it! And its available to hire ;-)

I must get out in one of the 150’s we are running to see what that’s like as a comparison.

I keep checking my roof; so far so good...

Fingers crossed it’s not an issue for you.
Volkswagen apparently will only give a 3 year warranty to T6 owners. They believe they have sorted/fixed this issue in 2014, however cases are appearing.

Keeping checking on a regular basis.
It’s outrageous what’s been going on with this fault.

Fingers crossed it’s not an issue for you.
Volkswagen apparently will only give a 3 year warranty to T6 owners. They believe they have sorted/fixed this issue in 2014, however cases are appearing.

Keeping checking on a regular basis.
It’s outrageous what’s been going on with this fault.
Had it done TWICE on our T5.1!!
I have heard of a few isolated incidents on the T6 but I think it’s near enough sorted.
The main improvement on the roof is...

...it’s actually waterproof!

Glad I amuse you, two years and 12,000 miles I won’t bore you with why I need one but then, I’m not complaining even after a new engine.

Back