Personal number plates

Will I look like a Prat?

• Yes, remember your roots

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • No, aspire to rise above your station

Votes: 61 81.3%

• Total voters
Their are lots of plate makers online who will make you a plates as you want them, there are sold as show plates. Be warned they will not be road legal with out the correct spacing or mot passable. Depends how much you push it to whether you get pulled :sneaky:;)

Thanks guys. Does anyone have any experience of what you would likely to get pulled for? I have seen lots of vehicles around with plates that clearly do not have the correct spacing so I don't know how hot the police would be on that?

"Thanks guys. Does anyone have any experience of what you would likely to get pulled for? I have seen lots of vehicles around with plates that clearly do not have the correct spacing so I don't know how hot the police would be on that?"

When I had this plate on my previous Merc Vito about 7/8 years ago I got pulled twice by the Suffolk Police and we got a fixed fine of £30 on both occasions but no points on my licence thankfully.
I was also told if I got caught for a third time then the plate would be taken away!

The plate was miss-spaced with some rounding off on the '5' - see picture below.

Hope that helps?

my pictures 363.jpg

Depends on the enthusiasm of your local traffic plod really. In a nutshell any plate that isn't type approved, retro reflective, with the postcode of the place it's made at the bottom is an offence. It's not an end of the world offence but you could still get a VDRS for it or a fine. For me it depends on the amount of non conformity. If you are putting black screws in to change letters etc then I start asking myself if you are bilking fuel etc.
If your spacing is out a bit then I really couldn't care less.
BUT always remember this. It is an offence.. normally seen whilst the vehicle is in motion.. so it's often a good way to start pulling at a thread.. I'm not going to disclose all my tactics but if someone with a hooky plate opens up with "havent you got anything better to do" or they are rude or evasive... that's my start point to find out what's really going on... and you'd be amazed at the stuff we've found ourselves involved in. Because of a number plate.

I have a legal personal plate, but it always seems to get the same bit of "dirt" on it :rolleyes:
IMG_1973.JPG

image.jpg My plates have arrived, well impressed with that. Just need the van to stick them onto.....the dealer will be fed up with me asking "is it here yet?"

I know a few of you have private plates but i have seen some of your lovely abodes on the pictures.
Bit of fun really but I fancy a T6 pre fix plate like T6 VCT
I however live in an ex council house in the middle of a council estate in downmarket Rotherham. Will I look like a pretentious middle class wannabe prat?

Thats the thing. Whether your a Jesus sandal wearing lefty tree hugging hippy or a high flying Thatcher loving business exec. There's a Transporter for you and everyone in between. Classless or one for all classes.

If the plate means something or is personal to you, then who cares what the neighbours think. I've never had a personal plate before I got the T6. Mrs Donkey got me it for xmas. Everytime I see it, it puts a smile on my face. In this day and age when smiles can be hard to come by, that makes it priceless.

For me my plate was a gift from my parents on my 18th birthday. I like that it's personal to me and removes the age from my van.
With plates starting at around £250 they aren't as middle-class as they potentially used to be.
I say go for it.

My wife got me my plate for 5 years in business, hence the plate T60 RER. It's been on all my work vans and wouldn't look right without it.

Personally I love a good number plate. My MH is a Pilote and that's got P31 OTE and that cost less than £200. Not many people actually notice these plates, which I actually prefer, but those that do like them. Either way, they're mine and I'm happy with them.

I know a few of you have private plates but i have seen some of your lovely abodes on the pictures.
Bit of fun really but I fancy a T6 pre fix plate like T6 VCT
I however live in an ex council house in the middle of a council estate in downmarket Rotherham. Will I look like a pretentious middle class wannabe prat?
It could make your van look older to the other residents which in turn might draw less attention from potential jealousy scratches.

Always fancied one, and my T6 related personal plate was £175 ..... And like @Dieseldonkey, it makes me smile, and makes the van ageless, as said before.

I've got one on retention just because I didnt want anyone knowing it was me after living in similar environment to Blitz. The way the van is now though with the 2 tone means its easily recognisable so im popping it on as soon as the holder arrives for it. All id say is get something related to the person not the vehicle unless you are keeping it forever.

Back