Personal number plates

Will I look like a Prat?

• Yes, remember your roots

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • No, aspire to rise above your station

Votes: 61 81.3%

• Total voters
I have my personal plates that I have had 7 years now and currently they are on retention. I have new Autohaus surrounds and the plates are pressed metal. Reason I haven't put them on yet is I actually love my current reg! It spells D.i.l.l.i.g.a.f. Lol. Bus is called Dilly as a result. All I got to do is pay £80 and I can put them on. Mine are my initials which are actually VW (how lucky am I guess you could say it was meant to be that I was a VW fan!). They read X30 VAW

I have my personal plates that I have had 7 years now and currently they are on retention. I have new Autohaus surrounds and the plates are pressed metal. Reason I haven't put them on yet is I actually love my current reg! It spells D.i.l.l.i.g.a.f. Lol. Bus is called Dilly as a result. All I got to do is pay £80 and I can put them on. Mine are my initials which are actually VW (how lucky am I guess you could say it was meant to be that I was a VW fan!). They read X30 VAW
I'd keep DILLIGAF - love that expression!!

Oooh, nice surrounds @Buggirl , seen them on eBay, pricey, any chance of a closer pic of them? Are they shiny plastic or matt?

Can anyone advise please on the procedure if you want one.....can you get one and put it on a shelf until your van arrives at dealership/outside your house, or is really too much of a faff? Thanks.

I can only tell you how I did it direct with the DVLA. Found a reg on their site that suited. Purchase it which retains it for your use, and it's removed from circulation. You will get a form from the DVLA which will allow you to transfer it to you vehicle. Mine was £250 with transfer fees included normally £70-80 if I recall. Give the form to your dealer and he will register the car with it and make up the plates. I think you have up to 10 years before it has to be used. If not DVLA will take it back. You never really own it.

..message ends..

Last edited:
Same as @Teejay1 its really easy
Unless your dealer does as ours did and forgets you've passed the V750 (Certificate of Entitlement) document onto them and so doesn't use!! :) Even then though, if the vehicle gets registered on a standard allocation number plate, as ours did, it is now really easy to change at a later date - once you have one, you can use the details from the V750 and do online - only took us 5 minutes to sort and got an instant email saying we could use the new registration.

There was the additional cost of getting new plates made up but, as it was the dealers fault, they made up for us and offered to exchange once we'd sorted with DVLA.

I normally get It put on a standard reg so all the paperwork and services book is on that reg so when you sell it goes back to that plate. Then change the plate after but you will need to phone the insurance company and they could charge to change it and if on finance you need to tell them and they can charge . You can keep the plates it comes on then put them back when you sell it so the will have the dealers name on them keeping it all looking good .

I had mine registered by the dealer, then transferred myself. As said above, it takes five mins online then you get confirmation that they can be used straight away, just make sure insurance company are aware. Once you have bought them you have ten years in which to transfer them onto a vehicle.
Just look at different places to buy from as sometimes they advertise the same plates but at different prices.

Thank you. Just purchased my choice from the DVLA site, reduced from £250 yesterday to £175 today, result and it has T6 in it, double result!!! My initials with "1" prefix was £32000!!!!!! So gave that one a missI will do the change myself as per Keeff's advice....thanks again everyone.

Mention the intention to put the private plate on when you sort the insurance; we were told as it will be within the first 14 days it wouldn't incur an extra charge... I guess cos you could cancel for free in that period & re-insure!

Mention the intention to put the private plate on when you sort the insurance; we were told as it will be within the first 14 days it wouldn't incur an extra charge... I guess cos you could cancel for free in that period & re-insure!
Ours was first insured on the private plate but then had to be changed when we realised that the dealer hadn't used (V5C dropped on the doormat about 7 days ahead of date of registraton). Insurance company made the change free of charge as the insurance hadn't actually started and advised that, as long as we sorted out the switch to the private plate within 14 days of the insurance commencing, it would be free of charge to put back on, otherwise we would be charged an admin fee of £20 to make the switch.

Slight thread highjack. Can anyone recommend a plate printer/maker who will do slightly non standard stuff like closing the gap between the reg year numbers and the letters? We bought a plate for the T6 but with the gap it does not really look as its meant to

Back