Passenger airbag swap - Captains seat to Double.

Sjacko20

Simon
T6 Guru
I have read somewhere that T5’s were fitted with 2 types of passenger airbags to suit either single or double passenger seats, does anyone know if this is the case on the T6 because as part of our conversion we will be replacing the single captains seat with a double bench so want to make sure the little one is protected.

Cheers

I have read somewhere that T5’s were fitted with 2 types of passenger airbags to suit either single or double passenger seats, does anyone know if this is the case on the T6 because as part of our conversion we will be replacing the single captains seat with a double bench so want to make sure the little one is protected.

Cheers
That’s a really good question that I would think a lot of folk may not have considered @Sjacko20. I am afraid I do not know the definitive answer, however I do know about airbags. A normal size passenger airbag is designed to protect a single person; yes they are bigger than the drivers one, however that is due to the space difference between the passenger and the dash versus the driver and the steering wheel.
I would therefore say from a perspective of logic, that where a double seat is fitted up front, then the passenger airbag should be a different shape making it cover more of the dash once inflated.

Cheers
I have a T6 with a single passenger seat. At planning phase the dealer told that if i later would like to swap it for a double seat it won't be just a change of the seat, have to change the air bag, too. But haven't really verified the info.

Just contacted VW and it is still the case and Sod’s law mine is a single, the cost for a replacement twin airbag is £1057 + fitting.

Reactions: mmi
Just contacted VW and it is still the case and Sod’s law mine is a single, the cost for a replacement twin airbag is £1057 + fitting.
Crickey, that is quite a price tag. However, small price to pay for the safety of your nearest and dearest.

Likewise - I’m not sure how easy / hard it’ll be. Hopefully @Pauly or someone who knows more can advise.

Hi All,
I'm looking for advice please, i currently have a T5.1 2015 Sportline 60th Edition. I'm looking to replace the front passenger seat to a double seat.

I've been looking on Ebay and have found VW Transporter T6 Double Passenger Bench Seat In Simora from a 2017 transporter for £100.

Can someone tell me if i purchased this it would fit in my T5.1? Or do i need to get a T5 double passenger bench.

I've been told the fittings could be different and don't want to waste any money....

Appreciate your advice and hopefully this is the right place to post this message.

Cheers,
Mark

If it helps, I sold my double seat to a T5 owner who wanted to refresh his (former) builders van cab. He told me he was sure the fittings were the same as his double-seat thus was happy to buy it.

However, as you’re going from single to double.. you need to consider the passenger airbag; a van built with two captains seats most likely has airbags installed for such occupants, whilst vans built with the double-seat have a wider airbag installed in the dash to cover both front passengers.

If you’re keen on doing the conversion, there will likely be a queue of people that want to snap up your passenger captains seat. So you could see if they’re willing to swap airbags, too, to save you the expense.
A new bag would obviously be the better option, but isn’t likely to be cheap.

Food for thought.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this - have a T6 with captains seat from new - also looking at replacing with a bench seat so little one can travel in the front. Wondering how you got on.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this - have a T6 with captains seat from new - also looking at replacing with a bench seat so little one can travel in the front. Wondering how you got on.

We stuck with the 2 captains chairs in the end so didn’t take it any further but the airbag was a factor in the decision.

Reading this thread, I presume if you have a bench seat from the factory, then replacing it with a single seat would not necesitate the air bag to be changed. Only the other way round.

Not sure thats correct !
There are variants on airbag part numbers for the passenger side

My pal has just bought a t6 with a single captain seat and wants to swap it with a double. I had a double and swapped it for a single. I know you need to change the passenger airbags over if you’re going from single to double so I thought I could just swap mine with his?

has anyone got any idea how to do this.ice converted my van so pretty happy with tools and don’t mind getting stuck in. Do I remove the battery and take it out. Is it a ball ache?

Thanks

Back