Outback Trip

G'day Aussie Mick! Loving your posts..takes me back to 1990 when we did 10 months and 24Km's around Oz in a fantastic T2...never missed a beat. Not sure I could do the same today in a T2 but would live to do it in a T6 like you. Keep em coming...look forward to your next instalment!2F786B2A-558D-4935-AF15-7CC49A38EA88_1_201_a.jpeg

Hi RicardoT , looks like the same sign post outside Coober Pedy as in my picture. I bet you have great memories of your trip.
I used to have an air cooled T3. You never forget the sound of a old 20200821_101702_29915163583411.jpegkombi motor do you.

I dont know why but in uk we call the t3 a t25. We had a air cooled one before we got our t6. We spent more time taking everything out the boot to look at the engine to get the damn thing running again than we did travelling around. That being said we had a great time in it most of the time. I wouldn't want to drive it where you been travelling though. Unless I was toeing it behind my t6.

Yeah I spent a lot of time keeping mine running too, I never knew if it would start .
In hindsight I learned a lot about mechanics from that beast but when it was running it purred along but drank a lot of petrol compared to a diesel T6

Our Ozzie T2 was definitely not a 'Friday afternoon job'...although being a trained mechanic back then I was hot on preventative maintenance...even took the engine out on a skateboard to renew4870D99B-40D0-4DF7-968D-791CDBEB9D1E_1_201_a.jpeg the clutch in Adelaide!

Completely agree with everything you say. One day I was filled it up and then could see a trail of fuel behind us. The top of the tank rusted and was leaking. I then thought that's ok I just wont fill it up completely until I change tank. What broke next. The bloody fuel gauge. You couldn't write it really.

Wow at least I didn't have to drop my engine.I changed CV joints, front steering stuff, auxiliary fuel tanks, endless points in the distributor, a few coils and once changing plugs dropped a helicoil into a cylinder, eventually got it out with long nose pliers and swearing..time has softened the memory

WA has closed its borders to the rest of Australia so we can't go there. We can only go to SA NT and QLD.

Great to see and hear your story Mick. We have a very similar T6 TDI340 and thinking of doing the same thing once restrictions are eased. We are currently in the Tweed/Coolangatta "bubble" so not allowed into greater QLD for now. Can I ask what you carry in the trailer, we have found so far that we can fit everything in the van itself but have only done shorter trips along the east coast. I can hang our two bikes off the towbar on a carrier which I can see is part of your trailer load.

I put things in the trailer that dont fit in the van. Longer table , poles, small bbq,porta potti 20200820_161523.jpg,water ,stuff like that.It frees up cupboards and drawers. Its lockable and aerodynamic, called a Pod trailer, made in Melbourne, a bit expensive but robust and hot dip galv frame and body is tough plastic like a builder's wheel barrow. Only weighs 200kg tare.
I only use trailer on longer trips. Otherwise use towbar bike rack too.
Uses about 10% more fuel pulling trailer, but more comfortable in van

Left Alice Springs 3 days ago and went east for about 100kms. No phone signal.
Camped at Trephina Gorge in a conservation park, outrageous price of $3.30 per night. Weather is quite hot so only bushwalking was done early till noon and then late afternoon till happy hour of course. A few Aboriginal rock paintings under overhangs in gorge , hard to photograph cause of bright and shadows.
Poor old fridge working flat out in the heat of day so catching solar very important. Back in Alice for 2 days to reprovision then out west into the Western MacDonnell ranges. Trying not to put endless pics of my van so anything may show up.Gave a little fellow traveler a drink as water is scarce for animals and birds. 20200827_102321.jpg20200827_102410.jpg20200825_171959.jpg20200821_172820.jpg20200827_102214.jpg

Left Alice Springs 3 days ago and went east for about 100kms. No phone signal.
Camped at Trephina Gorge in a conservation park, outrageous price of $3.30 per night. Weather is quite hot so only bushwalking was done early till noon and then late afternoon till happy hour of course. A few Aboriginal rock paintings under overhangs in gorge , hard to photograph cause of bright and shadows.
Poor old fridge working flat out in the heat of day so catching solar very important. Back in Alice for 2 days to reprovision then out west into the Western MacDonnell ranges. Trying not to put endless pics of my van so anything may show up.Gave a little fellow traveler a drink as water is scarce for animals and birds. View attachment 82864View attachment 82865View attachment 82866View attachment 82867View attachment 82868

still want your trailer !

ps I’d like your thoughts on the trailer ...looking to import one if it all stacks up :thumbsup:

The pink and grey birds are Galahs.We have had a pet one for 38 years. His name is Basil . The creek crossings are generally dry for many years but when in flood can be metres deep and hundreds of metres across .They can be sandy so care must be taken in a 2wd like I have.
Pic of emus crossing the road, big flightless bird like ostrich but native to Australia. It's a bit picsolated as I had to crop it.received_308744943523225.jpegreceived_806320523439497.jpeg20200827_193116.jpg20200827_194846.jpg

Last edited:
I am so envious mick. We havent camped much this year. The other half fone teacher training this last year so been hectic at home. I so want to travel where u r now and I know I will one day. We will probably hire a motor home though although i would love to take my t6.

Back