Tropics Trip

Day 2 and 3
No phone coverage day 2
Spent Sunday night (day 2) at a really good free camp off the main road.
There were about 10 caravans and campervans but still we couldn't see our neighbors. Millions of stars at night. 20210627_124858.jpg20210627_155801.jpg
On a straight stretch of road there was an emergency landing strip for the Royal Flying Doctor planes.This is how people in remote areas get emergency medical help from accidents and illnesses. Emergency phone connected to local Police every few hundred kms.20210627_120834.jpg
20210627_125023.jpg

Day 3
Headed north to the border but no phone coverage so had to turn around and go back 180kms to the last town as if we cross the border and cant get into Queensland we will have to head home for 2200km and then isolate for 14 days. Covid is breaking out in most states of Australia again so we have to camp overnight to see what we can do tomorrow, either head on or have to head home. There will be an announcement by the state governments tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few random pictures of the trip so far.
View of camping spot out of van window. 20210627_071811.jpg
20210627_125109.jpg
Typical rest area,(layby) along the road, you can sleep there but could be noisy. Just a water tank and small shelter, probably pretty hot in summer out there. 20210627_181725.jpg20210625_105958.jpg
A look inside my trailer, this allows me to have a clutter free van and still have the gear needed for traveling off the beaten track for extended periods. The trailer weighs 200kg and the load is about 200kg so the van pulls it easily. There is water, bbq,shovel, axe ,saw,pots and pans, tools, porta potti, gas bottle and stove, and a few assortments and luxury items. I can fit all this in the van but when camping for the night have to move it around out of the way so its easier with the trailer. On shorter trips I don't use it.
Oh, and still observing happy hour at the end of driving each day.

20210628_164304.jpg

Fab pictures Mick. Keep them coming please.
Best of luck with the Covid situation, I hope that you are able to get through without isolating.
The distances you guys travel still amaze me.
Just for the sake of campervan solidarity, I’ll also raise a Gordon’s and Tonic to you.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi @Oldrat , it might seem long distances but there is hardly any traffic so you can travel at the speed limit if you want to between towns. In fact there is so little traffic you wave to the other drivers like in the old pioneering days.Resized_20210627_094511_36021617928812.jpeg
A pleasure to have a drink together only 12000 miles apart

Last edited:
Day 4
Woke up to worsening covid news and more restrictions. Will have to abandon trip and head for home. Dont want to get stuck out on the road and not be allowed home and forced into government quarantine.
Our timing was not good, when we left home no restrictions on this route but within 2 days covid spread around the country and state governments locking down borders.
Oh well, there will be other times.
Beautiful sunrise here this morning in a lovely quiet place to camp for the night. 20210629_071604.jpg20210629_070121.jpgreceived_337286637954894.jpeg

Last edited:
It will take 3 days to get home but we've enjoyed ourselves being out here. Free camping every night, beautiful sunrise and sunset each night so feel it wasn't a waste of time, a week of being in the outback with great camping away from everyone. Spent a bit of today at Coober Pedy checking out the underground buildings. Told that 80% of people live underground as temperature is always 22c even in summer. Few pics of underground and tonight's camp in the scrub about 1km off the road. 20210629_175418.jpg20210629_140439.jpg20210629_140553.jpg

20210629_175351.jpg

Wow.
I can see the attraction of living underground.
Sad to hear about your trip being curtailed, but thanks for the interesting pics.looking forward to you resuming your travels when Covid allows.

You’ve still covered more distance than I’d probably do in the same time.

Quick Q
How do you keep that lovely van so clean with all that dust and dirt about?

Gutted for you Mick having to turn back, look forward to reading about your next trip when ever that may be.:thumbsup:

I used to hate white vehicles but now realize they always look cleaner than any other colour I've ever had.

Hi.. once again great post of your new adventure…but like you our plans keep changing….but the spirit remains…stay safe :)

Hi@ Ricardo T
I know you travelled around Australia years ago, who would of thought it would be like this with covid.
We just assumed we could always go were ever we wanted.

Its funny but all the members who answer my posts I feel I know you after reading all of yours.
Even though we are in different parts of the world I could tell you who now has a vw crafter, trailer, travelled oz,likes minimal gear in a van, helps out with electrical problems, has lowered van, etc.
Quite amazing really.

Day 5
Last camp in arid country, 400km north of Adelaide. Probably 1 more camp then home. One picture shows how far apart we are from others. 2 caravans about 400 meters away.
I really enjoy being out in the desert country. There is hardly anyone around. 20210630_173935.jpg

20210630_173554.jpg

20210630_180239.jpg

Last edited:
Have returned home after trying to get to Cairns in north Queensland. Beaten by covid outbreaks.
Did just over 2600km and once again noticed the biggest effect on fuel economy is wind direction. Apart from hills of course.
When heading into a headwind fuel consumption goes up.
Tailwind and consumption down.
No wind and reasonable and expected consumption.
I know this is obvious but pulling my small trailer had much less effect than wind direction which surprised me a bit.
So the less stuff on your roof the better.
Saw many 4wd vehicles with racks on the roof loaded high with gear, this must use heaps more fuel.
As I was intending to do around 10, 000 km this could be fairly important.
Pleased to report van ran faultlessly through all types of roads and conditions.
Now waiting to see what happens with covid on the direct route through NSW to see if we will try again in a few weeks.

Sorry that your trip didn’t work out Mick.
Thanks for the useful report and trip update.

Better luck next time when things in this crazy world have settled down a bit

Back