Off for a couple of weeks.

Today we did drive home as it did rain and has set in for a few days.
The van never missed a beat over the last 2 1/2 weeks covering 2620kms.
My solar panels kept the lifepo4 battery charged the whole time never going below 80% soc. I think my power is now sorted but the temperature was never really hot usually in the 18c to 30c range so fridge was not running too hard.
We slept every night in the van and cooked most meals at the van occasionally going to the pub for dinner.
We did a fair amount of driving on gravel and dirt roads and due to wet conditions I felt 4 motion may have been handy but we made it through but no really muddy bits.
Fuel economy was good except when driving into stiff headwinds but that is to be expected and like you diesel is getting pricey now days.
So another trip is over and van needs a good clean up until next time.20200322_140009.jpg

Home safe and sound - well done! That was a proper “road test”!!! Thank you for sharing your trip with us. I’m sure that many looked forward to the updates as I did!

Looking forward to the next trip already!!!

Glad you got around safely, we had great memories when we picked up an old t25 synchro from Sydney auctions and travelled up the coast through Byron bay and finishing at Fraser island before getting stuck up to our wheels trying to get off the ferry and had to give up and return to the mainland !!.
Took us 12 weeks, litres of oil and then finally passing it onto someone else at a hostel. Great times would love to come back and do another coast but this time not tasting diesel fumes....

I’d love to visit Australia again.. we have relatives in Sale! Any more pictures of the trailer including inside? Looks a handy piece of kit!

I use the trailer for longer trips, multi weeks, it allows me to be self sufficient with food and water, spare fuel and stay off the grid.
It weighs 200kg and I carry about 200kg of gear in it. Its good for long items and keeps the van from being cluttered inside.
It takes some weight off the van also.
It pulls easily due to its light weight and is dust and water proof and lockable.
I have just mounted a fixed solar panel on it connected in parallel to my panel on the van roof so they easily keep my leisure battery topped up.
It adds a little bit to fuel consumption but not a lot.
You have to resist the temptation to take too much stuff as it now will fit.20210818_212603.jpg20210625_105958.jpg20211017_112739.jpg
If only going away for under a week we dont take it and there is a lot to be said for traveling light. Just the essentials.

Back