Tropics Trip

AussieMick

T6 Guru
Later this week we are leaving Adelaide South Australia and heading to Cairns in North Queensland. We shall be traveling inland New South Wales (NSW) and Queensland staying overnight at various rest spots until we get to Cairns.
We will stay around Cairns for a week or two, hoping to go out on the Barrier Reef snorkeling and maybe stay out at one of the islands for a few days.
Leaving Cairns we will head South along the coast. This is a much busier area to travel so will probably have to stay in Caravan parks, if we can get in.
Due to covid19 no overseas travel allowed so many aussie vanning around Australia.
I will post a few pictures and a bit of a blog as we go if anyone is interested. Our adult kids will look after our house and our animals .
Think its about 2700 kms from here to Cairns the way we are going.
Map of journey 20210620_120620.jpg

Last edited:
Hi aussie mick.

I look forward to reading your journey and looking at the pics. I know theres lots of islands to go to on the reef but I can absolutely reccomend lady elliot island. We flew out there from Hervey bay and stayed there for a few nights. It was absolutely amazing.

Have a safe trip.

Mark

Things I've added to the van since last years trip to the outback.
*Changed 120ah agm to 150ah lifepo4 battery and onboard lithium 240v charger.
*Added another 200w solar blanket so now have 500w of solar panels.
*Additional driving light bar to help the standard h4 headlights if I have to drive at night.
*Added a few more usb sockets for phones etc.
* Taking a UHF/CB radio in case of mishaps in remote areas as Mobile phones only work about 20kms from towns and some are 100s of kms apart.
*Recovery tracks in case of getting bogged and need to self recover in remote areas.
Wanting to stay off the grid as much as possible and can be a bit isolated where we are going until near the east coast again so you have to be self sufficient.
That's all I can think of.

Reactions: CAB
Hi…. Be great to follow your journey…hope to see your pics so we poor folk can enjoy another outback adventure….:)

Well thats cheered me up on a miserable wet Sunday morning ;)

Seriously that sounds a truly epic road trip and looking forward the pics.

Hi @VanDamMan , taking the trailer again, so far you and I are in the T6 trailer club but I'm sure there are others out there .
Hi…it’s a club that might grow…:laugh: We plan to do the North Coast 500 ( top of Scotland ) next year ..9 hrs drive just to start the journey so the trailer will coming into its own….but like you if you have a trailer make it work …Can be a life saver….. still like your trailer though…so thanks for the inspiration:thumbsup:

I've only spent a little time in Scotland but loved it, hopefully after covid we can do something like that too, one day

Looking forward to reading this @AussieMick....sounds awesome! We loved the Atherton Tablelands and the vast beaches along the east coast...this is Rainbow Beach back in
'91.

.IMG_4162.jpeg

Ah, The old kombis could go anywhere .

Heading to Mareeba in the Atherton Tablelands to temporarily look after the wife's sisters farm, then down the east coast to at least Brisbane then the weather will get cooler so may head inland again.

Was leaving today for trip up to Cairns in Far North Queensland but covid has closed the state of New South Wales. If we pass through we will have to quarantine for 14 days on return and get regular covid tests.
Decided to travel straight up the middle for 2000 km then turn right towards Cairns. This adds 1000km to the journey but borders are unrestricted.
Adelaide to Cairns will now be around 4000km.
This will retrace some of last years trip to Alice Springs but once north of there new Territory for our van.
Camping should be easier this route as it is more remote until nearing the east coast.
Will leave in 2 days time as will have to carry a few extra things like more water and fuel containers etc.
20210624_081030.jpg
This is the only road that is sealed as all other roads are dirt which can be serious 4wd travel especially if it rains and I am 2wd and heavy.

Last edited:
Was leaving today for trip up to Cairns in Far North Queensland but covid has closed the state of New South Wales. If we pass through we will have to quarantine for 14 days on return and get regular covid tests.
Decided to travel straight up the middle for 2000 km then turn right towards Cairns. This adds 1000km to the journey but borders are unrestricted.
Adelaide to Cairns will now be around 4000km.
This will retrace some of last years trip to Alice Springs but once north of there new Territory for our van.
Camping should be easier this route as it is more remote until nearing the east coast.
Will leave in 2 days time as will have to carry a few extra things like more water and fuel containers etc.
View attachment 120958
This is the only road that is sealed as all other roads are dirt which can be serious 4wd travel especially if it rains and I am 2wd and heavy.
Puts into perspective mine and Mrs CAB's debate about whether to take another 2 pinter of milk on our trip :think smile bounce:

Day 1
Left home this morning heading up the Stuart Hwy. Once we left Port Augusta, 295km from home, the country is getting more arid and the soil is getting the red colour that central Australia is known for.
Pulled up for the night at a free camp 425 km from Adelaide.
Had to apply for entry permits into Northern Territory as Covid is breaking out again in some states. So far South Australia is ok so we can travel around but if we go to New South Wales, NSW, we would have to isolate at home on our return for 14 days.
Thus we are traveling around NSW but this will add another 1000km to the journey up to Cairns in North Queensland.
More travellers about than last year as no overseas travel allowed for Australia. 20210626_160824.jpg20210626_161702.jpg
Happy hour will be observed each day when the driving is done.
3,200km to go till Cairns.

Keep it coming @AussieMick this is going to be an interesting read. I watch Aussie gold hunters with my little lad and that landscape looks familiar, get a metal detector
Enjoy the trip

Hi @johnmacster , the area up ahead we are heading for Coober Pedy is one of Australias biggest opal fields.
From the air it looks like ants have been digging holes everywhere, a lot live underground in dugouts due to the extreme summer heat.
Not sure if gold is found around here but where we are heading, North Queensland, my brother in law goes out in the bush with a metal detector and finds a few nuggets of gold.

Sounds like a fabulous road trip. I’m in and looking forward to the next instalment.

(If anyone was interested I took the van to Tesco’s today! :whistle: )

Now you’re talking! Think we’ve watched every episode of Opal hunters as well ha ha! Great tv

Back