Oil gooey???

joe_j_barnes

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi All,

any idea what could be the problem?

away camping dad checked the oil and says it’s not right, smoke coming from dip stick tube, called AA advised to not drive but no diagnostic yet advised me to call VW assist, who are now on way to collect.

it’s only just on 24000 recently had first service 2017 DSG 204 struggling understand what could be the fault put less than 12000 on since owning 2 years ago.

Hi Skyliner
Would this be an issue then?
vw assist on route now but don’t want to start up or use rest of time camping here in case on long keen damage.

AA guy says it’s not right but van is wrapped in cotton wool by me very light use only just ran out of VW warranty but got an extension luckily enough.

Maldonado booked for a full conversion in 4 weeks too

The coolant reservoir is lower than it should be but not empty. Have you had to top it up at all?

Definitely water in oil, which is bad news. Don’t start it whatever you do.
Are you far from home ?

Pete

Was the smoke coming from dipstick tube before you removed it?... sign of pressurised crank case?.

What made you check?

Was it running roughly?

Any warning lights?

How many miles a week does it do?....

Low water, emulsified oil may indicate water jacket to oil circuit leak.

Possible oil cooler?

Possible head gasket?

Was the smoke coming from dipstick tube before you removed it?... sign of pressurised crank case?.

What made you check?

Was it running roughly?

Any warning lights?

How many miles a week does it do?....

Low water, emulsified oil may indicate water jacket to oil circuit leak.

Possible oil cooler?

Possible head gasket?
Hi Dell,

smoke when removed dip stick
Asked my dad why it makes noise when started up as fan belt or similar makes a noise for a sec dada then just checked but all ok belt a little wet not sure why he dipped and checked oil but when he did he alerted me and said it’s not good hence calls since to sort out pickup.

No noise when running all normal - in my understanding ( but no nothing on car mechanics)

no warning lights at all.

drive roughly 100 mile a week if that when in use but less since lock down and when using I use as daily drive which is short stop starts approx 5 miles a day

Only just had First service 3-4 months ago not due for first MOT until Oct back dated from lockdown.
12200 when bought in Oct 2018 on 24200 now.

treated like a baby be my and my pride a joy.
Not abused and cleaned every week regardless of weather or cleanliness of van.

Hopefully that sludge has come from the top of the dipstick, not from the engine oil In the sump.

Pete

Definitely water in oil, which is bad news. Don’t start it whatever you do.
Are you far from home ?

Pete
Thanks Pete

we pushed it in the wagon, drove it up here on Monday about 40 miles ish away but not used since luckily enough

Hopefully that sludge has come from the top of the dipstick, not from the engine oil In the sump.

Pete
Dipped it a few times to check, dad seems to think it’s defo back pressure.

am just hoping it’s covered on my warranty, can’t see why not it’s mechanical and I’ve checked my policy details.

Just had an update from Liverpool VW

oil been dropped and checked all ok, And no back pressure?

found that an EGR pipe was defective do have replaced that, doing more tests tomorrow and likely I’ll be going to pick it up..

slightly worried and confused from what it was yesterday happy there’s no issues but conscious if it may not be diagnosed properly.

Do I check again before I leave and ask to see other oils from engines that are there to compare with mine? I’ve checked the T6 hire van I have and oil is what you would expect

Best of luck @joe_j_barnes , let us know what happens.
Hi @joe_j_barnes ...regarding checking the oil..I always just before I leave double check stuff and a quick walk around the vehicle ..but I’ve noticed that during the cooler months a slime buildup inside the oil filler cap ...but I know from experience its cause by condensation ( Called emulsification ) ...If you see it just clean it off.....

can look like this

D674719F-60E0-403A-BC6F-E75CF59D9CB4.jpeg

Vans back with me,
VW said oil checked and dropped checked for any contamination but all ok oil a little low so topped up and re checked.

found EGR pipe was defective so replaced.

no others issues noted - I’ve dipped and checked oil twice since picking it up and oil is normal ?

I will continue to monitor but false alarm it may seem? How could this be tho ? possible build up on dip stick am thinking butunsure of how, other than call them fibbers not much I can say but will check every few days and if different will send back it’s still under warranty so was best I have had it checked out.

Vans back with me,
VW said oil checked and dropped checked for any contamination but all ok oil a little low so topped up and re checked.

found EGR pipe was defective so replaced.

no others issues noted - I’ve dipped and checked oil twice since picking it up and oil is normal ?

I will continue to monitor but false alarm it may seem? How could this be tho ? possible build up on dip stick am thinking butunsure of how, other than call them fibbers not much I can say but will check every few days and if different will send back it’s still under warranty so was best I have had it checked out.

The engine and the oil will become hot during running and once you stop will cool down ...but the likes of the dipstick and oil filler tube cool down faster and any vapour or moisture is trapped and reacts with the oil to create the sludge..this could be the cause

Back