OEM vs aftermarket windscreen

czmate1999

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi all,

As some of you know my windscreen needs to be replaced after a stone chip on the way to Camperjam.

Anyway the insurance is offering an aftermarket replacement or I can pay £700 for an OEM replacement…

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with aftermarket glass??

Cheers

CZ.

Hi all,

As some of you know my windscreen needs to be replaced after a stone chip on the way to Camperjam.

Anyway the insurance is offering an aftermarket replacement or I can pay £700 for an OEM replacement…

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with aftermarket glass??

Cheers

CZ.

Is it heated? (Another cracked screen)a lot of comments on this post Another cracked screen.

VW don't make glass, and the companies who make the glass for VW, also make glass for sale in the aftermarket.

Your factory screen has a chip, ad you could spend £700 and that could also get a chip the very next day

You choose....
Thanks for the reply. Just like to do my due diligence… I realise that VW sub it out.

I had heard that some suppliers use glass that meets the minimum standards set out by the DoT but might not fit the safety standards required by VW

Anyways, have just spoken to my insurer - Pilkington make both the OEM and the aftermarket panels that auto glass use. Difference I have been assured is just the VW stamp.

So happy with that. :)

I had my windscreen replaced with pilkington. I was fine with that until I wasn’t. It’s the same company but not the same glass. The cabin is more noisy after the windscreen replacement. The heated lines as are not the same anymore. Not very pleased.

I had a non genuine screen. I'm sure that the heating elements were more visible, plus they missed a strip right in my eyeline. Something I didn't find out until the following winter.

hmmm, mixed views. I will take a recording of cab noise and some photos of the my current screen before it is replaced and review afterwards. If it fails to live up to expectations then I will have to have words with the insurance company.

I had genuine vw the first time as still under warranty but it didn’t last long before the elements started to stop working One at a time .After about a year not many still working on driver side. Then it cracked luckily so had after market fitted .It work well but lines stand out a little bit more .So far all still working but fitter said if any stop work phone and they replace free if no chip on the broken line.
If mine goes again I would go aftermarket.

Back