OBDEleven vs VCDS

MattCo

Hi All,

I am looking at buying OBDEleven or VCDS to do some coding on my T6.1 the key things I want to do are activate the tow bar module and add rear speakers.

I would also like to be able to clear codes etc.

Which system is best for this and is VCDS worth the extra money compared to OBDEleven?

Thanks
Matt

I have ODBEleven, because it works with my iPhone, and does what I need. It will read and clear codes, and so far I’ve done fader for rear speakers and door mirror on first key press.

Do I need to get the pro version, do I need credits to do the coding or will the base edition allow coding. I don't think it's very clear and it seems like the credits are needed for the one click apps?

Basic edition doesn't allow codings, however one-click apps are available (via credits). Credits are used only for one-click apps. The codings and adaptations are "free" with Pro.

My 2c:

OBDeleven is great for keeping with you on the go, but over time gets pricey with subscription.

VCDS is the king in garage but does not cut it mobile unless you carry a laptop. In my experience Hex-Net / VCDS mobile are close to useless with T6, ymmv but seems the browser version is severly limited, I could not even do a full scan with it. More expensive but no subscription.

No experience with T6.1 though. If you simply want couple of things coded might be easiest to see if you can drop by someone using these regularily - buy for long term use rather than one off need.

Reactions: mmi
Thanks everyone for your input, I only want to do a few things on my van then I probably wont touch it again until I get a new van or a car and want to do some bits to it. The main thing I wanted to know is can it be done and which version can do the coding.
The £300 for VCDS is a bit much to just turn on the trailer module and fader for rear speakers when compared to OBDeleven pro for £95. VW wanted £140 so I am saving £45 just by buying OBDeleven.

Thanks everyone for your input, I only want to do a few things on my van then I probably wont touch it again until I get a new van or a car and want to do some bits to it. The main thing I wanted to know is can it be done and which version can do the coding.
The £300 for VCDS is a bit much to just turn on the trailer module and fader for rear speakers when compared to OBDeleven pro for £95. VW wanted £140 so I am saving £45 just by buying OBDeleven.
There is always the option of asking on this forum for the help of a fellow member if it's just those simple items as a one-off, job.

I had a similar issue with coding for a rear-view camera, local VW dealer wanted £79 minimum so I bought OBDEleven Pro for £95 and did the coding in a few minutes on my drive. May be £20 more than VW but since then have been able to use for checking and clearing faults. I intend to do a couple of other mods so it will have been a good investment. My son-in-law has a T6 combi and since the OBDEleven is not tied to a particular VIN I can code his camera when he fits it. Only failing is the support from Voltas is very poor, all they do is point you to the forums - but the price/functionality ratio can't be beaten.

Does OBDEleven allow you to code in the rear fader once you add speakers?

Yes, I did it with mine this way. I put some instructions on the rear speakers thread (search Fader and you’ll find it)

I've used a few Vag-Com/VCDS (Ross-Tech stuff) and OBDEleven. Value-wise OBDEleven has been the best by far and as n10n said; you don't have to carry a laptop everywhere. I was dubious about using OBD11 on my Samsung S20 as I honestly thought it would be crap but... it has been superb and I have used it to adjust and tweak all sorts of things - just because I can. So far I have done:

Added teardrop wiper function and increased the delay to 10 seconds - makes a useful single wiper sweep 10 secs after washing the screen. (Gets that dribble that runs down the screen)
Reduced interior light time from 10.5mins to 30secs. Very good when camping as the lights seemed to take forever to switch off.
Changed coming home/leaving home to work through front fog lights. (avoids lighting my neighbours house up who lives opposite me)
Enabled auto lock/unlock of all doors.
Enabled developer mode and added SWAP/FEC codes for Sat Nav.
Enabled big digital MPH in MFD.
Enabled cornering lights on my wife's car.
Adjusted heating timer of front heated windscreen as it's too short as standard for me.

I originally bought it for diagnostic and DTC clearing and it's also very good for that:

Reset service timer after oil change.
Diagnosed which of the rear PDC sensors was faulty and cleared the DTC.
Adaptation/reset of starter battery when I replaced it with a larger 95ah AGM.
Clear all the DTCs I create when playing with things I really shouldn't...

Things to do directly with or with the help of OBD11:

Get rid of the start stop function.
See if I can enable the trailer function so the PDC does not see it when I have the trailer hooked up.
Get the electric side door working off the remote fob. (Button is there but doesn't work - this may be a locksmith job and not OBD but let's see)
Add folding side mirrors and code them in.
Set headlights to H7 or LED when I buy some.
Code in the rear camera when it arrives from Dav-Tec next week.
TBD....

In short, it was worth the Pro subscription I paid for and has saved me way more than if I had paid someone to do it all.

After reading back what I wrote above; it sounds a bit one-sided and putting VCDS down... that wasn't my intention. It probably helps if I explain that I am an amature OBD user; at best I am using it occasionally to fudge my way through. VCDS/Ross-Tech devices are way more advanced than I need and are very good for more focussed diagnostics. It has great features like measuring blocks and freeze frame to properly look at faults in real time and diagnose an issue. If you need to do that then it's perfect and worth the time and money invested in learning how to use it. It's a real expert user tool and in the right hands is a very powerful piece of kit.

I just want to make tweaks and changes so OBD11 is perfect in price and complexity for me.

I've used a few Vag-Com/VCDS (Ross-Tech stuff) and OBDEleven. Value-wise OBDEleven has been the best by far and as n10n said; you don't have to carry a laptop everywhere. I was dubious about using OBD11 on my Samsung S20 as I honestly thought it would be crap but... it has been superb and I have used it to adjust and tweak all sorts of things - just because I can. So far I have done:

Added teardrop wiper function and increased the delay to 10 seconds - makes a useful single wiper sweep 10 secs after washing the screen. (Gets that dribble that runs down the screen)
Reduced interior light time from 10.5mins to 30secs. Very good when camping as the lights seemed to take forever to switch off.
Changed coming home/leaving home to work through front fog lights. (avoids lighting my neighbours house up who lives opposite me)
Enabled auto lock/unlock of all doors.
Enabled developer mode and added SWAP/FEC codes for Sat Nav.
Enabled big digital MPH in MFD.
Enabled cornering lights on my wife's car.
Adjusted heating timer of front heated windscreen as it's too short as standard for me.

I originally bought it for diagnostic and DTC clearing and it's also very good for that:

Reset service timer after oil change.
Diagnosed which of the rear PDC sensors was faulty and cleared the DTC.
Adaptation/reset of starter battery when I replaced it with a larger 95ah AGM.
Clear all the DTCs I create when playing with things I really shouldn't...

Things to do directly with or with the help of OBD11:

Get rid of the start stop function.
See if I can enable the trailer function so the PDC does not see it when I have the trailer hooked up.
Get the electric side door working off the remote fob. (Button is there but doesn't work - this may be a locksmith job and not OBD but let's see)
Add folding side mirrors and code them in.
Set headlights to H7 or LED when I buy some.
Code in the rear camera when it arrives from Dav-Tec next week.
TBD....

In short, it was worth the Pro subscription I paid for and has saved me way more than if I had paid someone to do it all.
Hi Nam600, did you buy a gen 1 or gen 2 ODBEleven. I'm looking into getting one for my 2016 T6. Cheers.

Hi Nam600, did you buy a gen 1 or gen 2 ODBEleven. I'm looking into getting one for my 2016 T6. Cheers.
Gen 2. They have now released a generic OBD11 version app which uses the same OBD adaptor but has basic functions for fault code reading on other non-VAG vehicles too. Not tried it yet but about to give it a go on my brother's 2017 Kuga to see what it can do there.

Back