VCDS vs Carista vs OBDeleven vs ??

Jongall

Sold.
T6 Pro
Carissa or odbeleven? Looking at doing some basic programming ie auto locking etc. Would like auto mirrors but assume not available on my 16 plate shuttle se

Carissa or odbeleven? Looking at doing some basic programming ie auto locking etc. Would like auto mirrors but assume not available on my 16 plate shuttle se

I use Carista. Simple to use, and loads of features to tinker with.

Have a look ---> Carista - How I Done It -

Codingwise Carista capabilities are shown there. No more, no less. Also other than VAG platforms. Monthly payments.
Minimal fault code diagnostic capability.

Codingwise OBDeleven has no limitations. VAG only. However, for T6 codings are mostly done by manipulating bits/bytes which is not always user friendly. However for a few other VAG vehicles (Golf) there are similar "predefined" codings as in Carista. One-time payment.
Fault code diagnostic capability quite close to VCDS capabilities.

Hi all,

Looking for experiences between the 2 modules, I tried carista and ease of use is good via the app..

Any real differences between them?

OBDEleven allows you to do arbitrary coding changes. AFAIK Carista only allows a specific set of known changes. Look down the list of Carista settings and if you need anything not on there, consider OBDEleven instead.

I really struggle with obd11 I find it slow frustrating and needing update WiFi etc I prefer vcds

I have searched and found a couple of old threads comparing the two but....

At the moment as it stands:
Carista £24.99 - One month free
OBDEleven 1st Gen £34.24 - no credits

I have scoured their sites and can't figure out if:
I would need credits for OBDEleven - the FAQ just says you need them for 'One Click Apps' but it doesn't explain what they are?
I would need to buy pro after the free month?

I want to change the MFD to MPH primarily and maybe tinker with a few other bits. Do I only have a month with Carista and then have to buy pro?

Can anyone / any users shed any light please? TIA

For T6 & T6.1 --->

Really helpful thanks @mmi - I searched extensively, not sure how I missed that thread :unsure:

Reactions: mmi
Does anyone have knowledge of both vcds and obd eleven?

I've slowly gathered a list of basic codings to be changed and am debating buying some software.

I've always had vagcom so know the basic system and would like the newest version. However I probably won't use it again for a few years. Or maybe on the family Audi Q5.

OBD is obviously cheaper but is it as good, or will it still be going 5yrs down the line?

My gut feeling is vcds but always happy to try something different as long as it works.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Or anyone in Oxford / Oxfordshire wanting a crate of beers?

Put your older VCDS on eBay, you should get a good price for it (I did) and put that towards buying the latest version.

Worked out well I'm just hoping that I can get good use out of the latest version although even after a good many years of the older one I'm with expert on it.

did you get this sorted? im in carterto/witney with VCDS
Same as most of my ideas I think about it but don't actually get around to it until a few months later.
If you fancy a little job once lockdown eases It would be rude to turn down the offer :)

Cheers

Just spent £50 for the garage to tell me why there's a warning light on my dash.
Seems like I could save money by buying a scanner to do this myself, but which one?
Also if I'm thinking of making modifications such as installing reversing cameras, adding cruise control or upgrading headlights, should I pay a bit more for one that will allow me to make changes to the van's settings?

Reactions: JOG
Looking at buying either the Carista or Obd Eleven for general use and fault finding/code clearing on my own van, I don't want to pay a monthly subscription to do this and I would also begrudge paying an annual fee as well.

As for coding I've never attempted something like that before but I'm pretty capable of following tutorials if I needed to.

There is a large initial price difference hence my dilemma, any ideas which route might suit me based on what I've said?

Thanks.

Carista or Obd Eleven for general use and fault finding
For fault finding Carista is just a code reader - but unfortunately not even a good one for that purpose.
E.g. here

Would you consider VCDS? For fault finding it's capabilities are superior - besides just fault code reading it has the capability to do realtime measurements & recordings for further analysis.

E.g. below a VCDS screen capture of a multichannel recording about EGR valve self-calibration.
1651959127290.png

Or captured data can be processed even further in spreadsheet
1651960203011.png

For fault finding Carista is just a code reader - but unfortunately not even a good one for that purpose.
E.g. here

Would you consider VCDS? For fault finding it's capabilities are superior - besides just fault code reading it has the capability to do realtime measurements & recordings for further and analysis.

E.g. below a VCDS screen capture of a multichannel recording about EGR valve self-calibration.
View attachment 155783

Or captured data can be processed even further in spreadsheet
View attachment 155785
Great post. I would love to learn how to get more from my vcds. Are there any websites, as well as the ross tech forum i could use to help? Thanks.

Reactions: mmi
Back