No insulation on a camper king campers

It’s common sense really. Adding vibration insulation is going to make it quieter. Adding thermal insulation is going to help keep the temperatures balanced.
The before and after example quoted above is the one to take notice of.

Pete

Sure, no problem. I'm no expert, and I'm sure people will say "you don't need to do this" or "you should have done that", but this is how I've done mine and I'm really happy with it...

So as mentioned previously, I did the sliding door, the back quarter, the tailgate and the 2 front doors. In total I ordered the following:

3 x Sound Deadening Dodo Mat DEADN ® Hex 20 Sheets Special Edition Car Van 4x4 - Sound Deadening Dodo Mat DEADN ® Hex 20 Sheets Special Edition Car Van 4x4 | eBay
*used this for all the panels

1 x Camper Van Insulation Foam Dodo Thermo Liner Pro 6mm Foil 3sq.m Sound Proofing - Camper Van Insulation Foam Dodo Thermo Liner Pro 6mm Foil 3sq.m Sound Proofing 5060675880456 | eBay
*used this for sliding door, 1/4 panel and tailgate

2 x Dodo Mat Acoustic Liner Sheet 15mm Car Soundproofing 100x50cm Self Adhesive - Dodo Mat Acoustic Liner Sheet 15mm Car Soundproofing 100x50cm Self Adhesive 5060675880401 | eBay
*used on 2 front doors

Can't recommend the Sound Deadening Shop enough. I ordered a fair bit from them on different days, and most of the time it was free next day delivery.

2x Insulation Rolls - https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-insulation-roll-l-6m-w-0-37m-t-100mm/3663602481812_BQ.prd

I also used aluminium tape to put on all joints, joins, seals and small gaps (probably over kill!) and got some spray glue to keep the insulating foam in place. A roller helps to make sure the sound deadening is pressed firmly on the panel, but I also used a long wooden soon for all those out of reach places!

You'll also need some trim tools to remove the panels and then some replacement clips. I snapped a few when pulling the panels off, they aren't expensive so I just replaced them - Halfords Trim Panel Clips | Halfords UK

I'd also recommend, whilst you have the panels off to vacuum the bottoms out. I like Camperking vans, but because they are mass produced I've found the attention to detail is somewhat lacking! I found the odd bolt, screw, rivet and just general rubbish in the bottom of the panels.

I think that's it, but If I think of something I've missed I'll let you know and if you have any questions please ask :)
Andy

View attachment 181428

View attachment 181429

View attachment 181430

View attachment 181431
Thanks so much for a very detailed description and the associated images of the work I am very grateful for this as I will be able to order the correct products for the job and like you will not be able to reach behind the kitchenette. Thanks Chris

This was the insulation in mine...
IMG_20190209_150047.jpg
Needless to say I've re-done all the bits I can. Eventually I suppose it will all be ripped out and upgraded so will do it properly then.

I did send this pic and others to the boss who gave me a full set of insulated door cards. Every bit helps.

Sure, no problem. I'm no expert, and I'm sure people will say "you don't need to do this" or "you should have done that", but this is how I've done mine and I'm really happy with it...

So as mentioned previously, I did the sliding door, the back quarter, the tailgate and the 2 front doors. In total I ordered the following:

3 x Sound Deadening Dodo Mat DEADN ® Hex 20 Sheets Special Edition Car Van 4x4 - Sound Deadening Dodo Mat DEADN ® Hex 20 Sheets Special Edition Car Van 4x4 | eBay

1 x Camper Van Insulation Foam Dodo Thermo Liner Pro 6mm Foil 3sq.m Sound Proofing - Camper Van Insulation Foam Dodo Thermo Liner Pro 6mm Foil 3sq.m Sound Proofing 5060675880456 | eBay

2 x Dodo Mat Acoustic Liner Sheet 15mm Car Soundproofing 100x50cm Self Adhesive - Dodo Mat Acoustic Liner Sheet 15mm Car Soundproofing 100x50cm Self Adhesive 5060675880401 | eBay
*used on 2 front doors

Can't recommend the Sound Deadening Shop enough. I ordered a fair bit from them on different days, and most of the time it was free next day delivery.

2x Insulation Rolls - https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-insulation-roll-l-6m-w-0-37m-t-100mm/3663602481812_BQ.prd

I also used aluminium tape to put on all joints, joins, seals and small gaps (probably over kill!) and got some spray glue to keep the insulating foam in place. A roller helps to make sure the sound deadening is pressed firmly on the panel, but I also used a long wooden soon for all those out of reach places!

You'll also need some trim tools to remove the panels and then some replacement clips. I snapped a few when pulling the panels off, they aren't expensive so I just replaced them - Halfords Trim Panel Clips | Halfords UK

I'd also recommend, whilst you have the panels off to vacuum the bottoms out. I like Camperking vans, but because they are mass produced I've found the attention to detail is somewhat lacking! I found the odd bolt, screw, rivet and just general rubbish in the bottom of the panels.

I think that's it, but If I think of something I've missed I'll let you know and if you have any questions please ask :)
Andy

View attachment 181428

View attachment 181429

View attachment 181430

View attachment 181431
Just finished the sliding door, rear quarter and also the tailgate. Very pleased with the results and used you advise for all works. Just the doors and I do but the difference is night and day as you mentioned. Just closing the sliding door for a a different experience. I am no expert but so pleased I did it. Just a few loose screws found in the process but no flag ends

A532FA24-BDED-42F7-8FE1-98AF78C5577A.jpeg

I have a T5 2011 original converted by CK
Only just bought it so we will see how it copes in the Scottish Winter.

My only plus point is that with out insulation is was easy to add more wires , Solar panels
Which would be quite hard with insulation in the way.

I have a T5 2011 original converted by CK
Only just bought it so we will see how it copes in the Scottish Winter.

My only plus point is that with out insulation is was easy to add more wires , Solar panels
Which would be quite hard with insulation in the way.
It’s a nice job the doors are the hardest part but the results just in terms of being able to hold a conversation are great. To be honest I have not noticed it being any warmer but given the pop top it is unlikely.

*used on 2 front doors

2x Insulation Rolls - Diall Insulation roll, (L)6m (W)0.37m (T)100mm | DIY at B&Q

Andy

View attachment 181428

View attachment 181429

View attachment 181430

View attachment 181431
Hi Andy, nice work. How easy/difficult was it to remove the rock n roll bed? Have you noticed a big difference in sound/heat insulation?

Hi Andy, nice work. How easy/difficult was it to remove the rock n roll bed? Have you noticed a big difference in sound/heat insulation?
Hi, I didn't remove the bed to do the work. Just worked around it the best I could. Not noticed a heat difference yet, but not had a chance to spend a night away in it yet. I did have the heater going whilst my son was at football a few weeks back and it seemed to hold the heat longer and stay cozy!

As for sound, I think it makes a big difference. You can have a conversation whilst driving without having to tilt your head back and shout at the people sat behind.

Hi, I didn't remove the bed to do the work. Just worked around it the best I could. Not noticed a heat difference yet, but not had a chance to spend a night away in it yet. I did have the heater going whilst my son was at football a few weeks back and it seemed to hold the heat longer and stay cozy!

As for sound, I think it makes a big difference. You can have a conversation whilst driving without having to tilt your head back and shout at the people sat behind.
Thanks Andy - that's a relief, don't fancy touching the bed. Sound insulation is my main objective and any heat insulation is a bonus. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Andy - that's a relief, don't fancy touching the bed. Sound insulation is my main objective and any heat insulation is a bonus. Thanks for sharing.
No problem, yeah I didn't fancy unbolting the bed either. To be honest, it only got in the way when doing the back quarter panel but a couple of long wooden spoons to help push the insulation down fixed that...

Just out interest
My CK conversion and DVLA V5 form says 3 seats

I.e driver and twin front

The rear has seat belts x3 but I understand and maybe wrongly it is not legal to have people in the back
Due to Not having a crash seat certificate

Maybe this should be asked as a different thread , sorry

As for insulation living in Scotland I notice the van is cold and lots of water on the inside of the van windows in the morning

I wonder if insulation would help with that
However I do have a pop up top
So not sure it would make a big difference

However it might help to retain a bit of heat during the winter / spring trips

*used on 2 front doors

2x Insulation Rolls - Diall Insulation roll, (L)6m (W)0.37m (T)100mm | DIY at B&Q

Andy

View attachment 181428

View attachment 181429

View attachment 181430

View attachment 181431
Andy, did you go 'inside' the passenger/driver doors and put deadening material against the metal? I am reluctant to attempt this, particularly on the driver's door. I have heard of people removing the speaker and 'posting' whatever deadening they can manage through the hole, but I wonder whether this is worth the effort.

Andy, did you go 'inside' the passenger/driver doors and put deadening material against the metal? I am reluctant to attempt this, particularly on the driver's door. I have heard of people removing the speaker and 'posting' whatever deadening they can manage through the hole, but I wonder whether this is worth the effort.
Removing the door cards is a pretty simple job, I removed mine to fit @saxoboy puddle lights.

Removing the door cards is a pretty simple job, I removed mine to fit @saxoboy puddle lights.
Thanks Salty - I should have been clearer; I am ok removing the door cards, my concern is getting deadener right inside the door behind the metal plate. I don't have the confidence to start unbolting stuff like this

Thanks Salty - I should have been clearer; I am ok removing the door cards, my concern is getting deadener right inside the door behind the metal plate. I don't have the confidence to start unbolting stuff like this
You don’t need to remove the door regulator, removing the speaker allows you to get enough coverage on the door skin to reduce the drumming. There is no need to cover the whole door skin.
When refitting the speaker if you choose to use screws instead of rivets keep them as short as possible.

Just out interest
My CK conversion and DVLA V5 form says 3 seats

I.e driver and twin front

The rear has seat belts x3 but I understand and maybe wrongly it is not legal to have people in the back
Due to Not having a crash seat certificate

Maybe this should be asked as a different thread , sorry

As for insulation living in Scotland I notice the van is cold and lots of water on the inside of the van windows in the morning

I wonder if insulation would help with that
However I do have a pop up top
So not sure it would make a big difference

However it might help to retain a bit of heat during the winter / spring trips
I don't know about the legality of it not having a crash test certificate.

A 'Pull test' is also done by some companies.

I would have thought it unlikely that there wasn't one done if they are selling it with seat belts?

In any case, you should get the V5 reissued with the correct number of belted seats, presuming you are using them all.

Although my camper had insulation installed it was not done with an enthusiastic touch. So I sound-deadened and re-insulated, having to make access panels on the kitchen unit side. I now run the heater a little less in cold weather but i can understand converters not insulating. However, my re-insulation has made a big difference in hot weather. In the reallly hot weeks this year I just chilled the van with the air-con and that kept us comfortable,

Reactions: CAB
Back