Night heater; which battery ?

Bluetrampus

VIP Member
I’m fitting a Eberspatcher Diesel Heater. Which battery is better to connect the electrical power to, the starter battery or the leisure battery. The instructions I have found, suggest the starter batter. What are pros and cons. ?

If you have a leisure battery then connect it to that. The whole point of a leisure battery is that it is there to run things that you need when you are parked up. If the leisure battery is run flat, the you can always start the van off the starter battery.

If you run the starter battery flat, then you are going nowhere, however well charged your leisure battery is.

Pete

If you have a leisure battery then connect it to that. The whole point of a leisure battery is that it is there to run things that you need when you are parked up. If the leisure battery is run flat, the you can always start the van off the starter battery.

If you run the starter battery flat, then you are going nowhere, however well charged your leisure battery is.

Pete
Many thanks, that was kind of what I was thinking.

Running the diesel heater of your starter battery could be an issue if it runs the battery down. Mine is always switched to my leisure. if i run that down i just turn on the engine.

I have a switch on my panel which allows me to use either battery. I once left it on overnight switched to the starter and I had to jump the van the following day.

Running the diesel heater of your starter battery could be an issue if it runs the battery down. Mine is always switched to my leisure. if i run that down i just turn on the engine.

I have a switch on my panel which allows me to use either battery. I once left it on overnight switched to the starter and I had to jump the van the following day.
I’ve decided to connect it to the leisure battery as the consequence of a flat starter clearly outweighs a flat leisure battery. Thanks for the response.

Back