Newcastle VW dealership

GeordieVanJam

Teacher
T6 Pro
Recently bought my T6 from here and can’t recommend them enough. If anyone lives in the area, they are better than the surrounding dealers I’ve been to. Ask for Jack Guthery - he’s a good lad, who’ll go the extra mile. Tell him Stewart sent you ;)

That the young lad? I dealt with Paul Matharu... really good
Yeah... the young un. Paul was really nice as well. He gave the bairn a beach ball to play with and take home to keep him quiet. Think it’s a really good team they’ve got there.

Recently bought my T6 from here and can’t recommend them enough. If anyone lives in the area, they are better than the surrounding dealers I’ve been to. Ask for Jack Guthery - he’s a good lad, who’ll go the extra mile. Tell him Stewart sent you ;)[/QU
Recently bought my T6 from here and can’t recommend them enough. If anyone lives in the area, they are better than the surrounding dealers I’ve been to. Ask for Jack Guthery - he’s a good lad, who’ll go the extra mile. Tell him Stewart sent you ;)
i got my van from jack he is very good and I will definitely use him again.

I bought my van from Newcastle also, paul to be exact.

Van had a passenger door that caught after unlocking so when you opened the door it snapped back shut, then Opened up normal again until the door was locked. The steering wheel was also not straight when driving straight. Probably not the sales mans fault but something that was immediately obvious to me after ten minutes driving. Had to take it to a dealer near me to be fixed.

Also the gap insurance policy stated t32 and t30 on the same document.....

I had a faulty door window switch, scratched paint work and a crack in the headlight switch- all fixed with no hassle.

I picked my van up last week, dealt with Jack, can’t recommend him enough, and I’m 300 miles away from the dealership!

I bought their ex-demo SWB panel van, ticked all the boxes for me, and saved a tidy penny over buying a new one. T32 highline 4motion, was well worth the day spent traveling up and back, they also took my last van as part-ex, which was a T5, T30 4motion.

I bought their ex-demo SWB panel van, ticked all the boxes for me, and saved a tidy penny over buying a new one. T32 highline 4motion, was well worth the day spent traveling up and back, they also took my last van as part-ex, which was a T5, T30 4motion.
Sounds awesome... way beyond my price range! Well done though

It is a lovely van, my third 4motion transporter, fith VW van and ninth VAG vehicle, so bit of a fan, but first time in Newcastle, if the other people are like Jack from Lookers, then it’s probably a great place to live?

It is a lovely van, my third 4motion transporter, fith VW van and ninth VAG vehicle, so bit of a fan, but first time in Newcastle, if the other people are like Jack from Lookers, then it’s probably a great place to live?
Only place I’d live now.

Lookers will bring a used vehicle to your nearest dealership. A friend had his T6 delivered from Guildford to Thornaby and I had mine dragged over the Pennines from Carlisle to Thornaby. I've got to say that Lookers Carlisle did a very poor job of preparing the vehicle though.

I had the same issue when someone said ‘geet canny’ to me for the first time lol

Its actually a lovely place, Id live in Tynemouth.
I’d live in Tynemouth if I had a spare £1 /2mill... most of the houses on the market need complete renovations doing and the cheapest start at £300k... although, I guess that’s chump change down south

Lookers will bring a used vehicle to your nearest dealership. A friend had his T6 delivered from Guildford to Thornaby and I had mine dragged over the Pennines from Carlisle to Thornaby. I've got to say that Lookers Carlisle did a very poor job of preparing the vehicle though.
I saw a few from the Carlisle dealership I was interested in... glad I didn’t take the time to travel there... Newcastle branch were great. Resprayed a few scratches to factory standard and replaced anything I wasn’t happy with no bother - shame I’ve still got so many plans to finance now!

hi all, I bought my t6 highline from the same branch last year, I dealt with jack guthery also, he was a pleasure to deal with, sorted a few issues immediately and I was more than happy with the van, will definetly return for my next works van. It helps the fact I'm based 1 mile from the branch

On the 25th April I went into this dealership to purchase a van. The van I had my eyes on was actually at the VW van centre in Glasgow. It was 2nd hand but quite new van on a 18 plate with just under 14000 miles on the clock. I signed for it on the Saturday 27th and was told the van would be brought down from Glasgow early in the week. Ok that is fine for me.

It got to Tuesday and I received a call from somebody at the van centre and I was thinking they were letting me know the van had arrived. It wasn't for that reason, it was a guy calling for me to pay my deposit. I passed over the details and the deposit was paid. Excellent another step forward to owning my own Transporter. The guy then asked me if the salesman had spoke to me to tell me when the van would be brought down? I said the salesman assured me the van would be here early this week so I was hoping it might have been here by now. He said ok I will get Alan to call you and let you know what is happening.

The following day I was told the van was still in Glasgow as the wrong van had been picked up and brought to the Newcastle dealership. Not quite sure how this mistake happened but ok I can accept mistakes do happen. Another day passes and it gets to tea time so I called up to ask what was happening and what stage we were at? To my surprise, the van was still in Glasgow. I was happy up until this point but now I was getting annoyed at the situation. I said if the van isn't here by the weekend then I would not be going ahead with the purchase. I couldn't believe the van was only 170 miles away but it was still in Glasgow 1 week later.

I received a phone call the following day to say my van had eventually arrived and it would be ready to collect the next day, on Saturday 4th May. At this point I was very happy again and didn't really care that the communication from the guys at the van centre had been very poor.

I arrived at the van centre on Saturday morning to complete the transaction and hand over my car. As I pulled into the car park I noticed my van parked up so I went to inspect it before I went inside the showroom. To my amazement it was full of scratches with marks and scrapes on numerous parts of the vehicle. Many of them looked like they would easily buff out, but the front bumper looked like it had been scrubbed with a brillo pad. Driver side sill had quite a large area where it had clearly been scraped and lost a lot of the paintwork. As soon as I spoke to the salesman I mentioned all of the scratches and scrapes but he assured me they would be rectified for me. He said it hadn't been cleaned up properly because of my anticipation to receive the vehicle quickly (even though it arrived late). So it would need to come back in and be buffed and valeted inside and out. Ok that is fine then I can drive my van over the bank holiday weekend and it can go back in on Tuesday to eventually come back to me in a satisfactory standard on the Friday 10th May. I took the van back in on the Tuesday and was told I would get a rental van from them for free until the work was completed. I was happy to do so but I was not happy about the £750 excess they had put on it in case of accident or even a scratch for that matter. I only needed to use the van to drive a few miles to work and back each so I signed for it even though I thought the excess was quite high, considering the circumstances.

Friday arrives and I see my van in the car park again so I go to inspect it before I hand over the keys for the rental van. To my horror the van didn't look much different than before. The scratches were all still there and the front bumper certainly didn't look it had been touched. I was beginning to wonder if the van had even seen a buffer machine, it just looked like it had been semi cleaned. I say semi because after a valet inside and out, the van wasn't fully cleaned inside and the outside looked like it had a quick wash and rinse. Definitely not the standard I had received in my previous 2 vehicle purchases from VW Lookers. But lets not make it about the valeting job as personally I dont really care as I can do that myself anyway. The big issue is the scratches. The salesman, the manager and 2 other salesmen went out to inspect the van, I dont know why it took a squad of them but they all went out and I stayed in the showroom, at this point quite irate at was going on. This was 1 of the largest purchases I have made and had dreamed of owning a Transporter for many years. Sadly it was at this point my regrets started to set in and was in a position I thought would never be possible. Do I really want to go ahead with this? I was not sure.

I told the salesman I would like to voice my concerns to the manager as I felt it was unacceptable to try and pass the van off to me as satisfactory standard not once, but twice now. Both the salesman and manager sat in his office while I explained the problem and they both agreed they had received the van from Glasgow in unacceptable condition. So why did they think it was acceptable to pass it to the customer in the same condition, twice.
The salesman then claimed he had given me £600 worth of freebies, as this was some kind of way for me to accept the condition of my van? I hope not. I told him I do not care about the freebies and this is not what this is all about. Plus he gave me 2nd hand floor mats as the first apology for the state of the van and then the 2nd time he gave me a car cleaning kit, apparently worth £300 so not sure where the £600 comes from. But again I do not care so much about this at this point, not because I am ungrateful. Far from it. All I wanted is my van in an acceptable condition for me to drive away happy. Which any customer who spends £22,000 on a vehicle should. I thought the chat went ok and I was still annoyed by the time I left and do not think they dealt with it in a professional manner, as nothing was noted. It was all word of mouth. How would he be able to clean it up properly if we hadn't went round and logged each of the discrepancies on the van. They had failed to do so twice before so I was not confident that my issues would all be dealt with.

I went back into the van centre this morning and I spoke to the manager and asked him to come outside to inspect my vehicle. Apparently other than the front bumper and the driver sill the rest of the van is in acceptable condition. When I signed for the van the salesman said any issues will be charged back to the original dealership. They had already agreed that the van was received in a poor state.

The manager then proceeded to accuse me of being unreasonable. Really? Customer spends over 20k on vehicle and is still not any further forward after almost 3 weeks of what was supposed to be possibly the best purchase of my life. I feel like he didn't care too much about the incidents because it seemed like any cost would come from them so he was trying to convince me that is was acceptable. He claimed to say the van which is only 1 year old with only 14000 on the clock was acceptable in the current condition because it was 2nd hand (other than the bumper and sill which he already agreed to fix)

Here is just some of the photos I have managed to get. They do not do it justice at all and look far worse by eye. I accept any 2nd hand vehicle may come with some scratches but I have managed to find at least 35 separate locations which could have easily been sorted out by now. Most of it I assume would buffer out but there are some deeper scratches that they do not seem to want to sort out. They are due to pick the van up on Monday and have it back to me by Wednesday in what should be the satisfactory conclusion to this poor process but my conversation with the manager this morning has put more doubt in my mind than before that I will eventually be a happy Transporter owner by Wednesday. I suppose come Wednesday it will be deal or no deal. I cant handle any more pitiful attempts to apologise. Each 1 has less substance each time it is used. up until now I have 4 apologies but am zero steps forward to being happy with my purchase.

20190510_172359.jpg 20190510_165318.jpg
20190510_165408.jpg 20190510_165437.jpg
20190510_171722.jpg 20190510_171850.jpg
20190510_171658.jpg 20190510_172722.jpg

Last edited:
Back