newbie question - do these springs look normal?

polyeidus

Hi,

I have a 2016 T28 T6 with 40mm lowered suspension. The ride in the rear is really uncomfortable and every bump sends a shudder through the van.

I've taken a look at the springs to see if i can identify them and notice the coils are really compressed. Would this normally be expected?

20211006_104726.jpg

i wonder if they are these . . . ?

it looks like the "centre coil section" is supposed to be coil-bound, leaving the top and bottom of the spring for travel.?

looks like you might have a rough ride with that setup.

any markings on them?

1633516968204.png

1633516988593.png

lets see if we can get any additional info or help from our trade members.

@BognorMotors

@The Van Cave

@CRS Performance

Thanks for finding these - they do look very similar - mine do not appear to have any visible markings on them...

V-MAXX SPORT LOWERING SPRINGS FRONT & REAR SET - VW T5 T6 03-19​

V-Maxx Lowering Spring Set for the VW Transporter
We have worked with the Dutch suspension company now for many years and have experienced great success with their high-quality suspension components. Extensive testing and the TÜV approval give both customer and ourselves the peace-of-mind when installing the components.
The lowering springs for the Transporter come in three different setups: 60mm front, 45mm rear - 45mm front, 45mm rear - 60mm front, 60mm rear. This gives you a choice of ride height as well as the option to effectively 'level' a work van or a camper converted van.
All V-Maxx products come with a 2 Year Warranty as standard providing the components are fit correctly and used as the manufacturer intended.
Here's what the manufacturer has to say
An intensive test and inspection program for design, used materials and end product, guarantees a long-lasting enjoyable, sporty and safe use especially for any type of car in all conditions. We work closely with the German TÜV to comply not only with the strict European quality and safety regulations, but also to make the best application for your car.
In addition to the vastly improved handling and braking capacity, V-MAXX lowering kits, screw sets and large brakes ensure that your car also looks extra nice!
Fitment:
VW T5 Transporter & Caravelle 2003 - 2009 Models
VW T5.1 Transporter & Caravelle 2010 - 2015 Models
VW T6 Transporter & Caravelle 2015 - 2019 Models
Please Note - These springs will fit all engine and gearbox variations of the above van
Contents:
1x Set of 4 V-Maxx Lowering Springs in Selected Configuration
Please Note - This sale is for 4 V-Maxx Lowering Springs only and does not include any additional suspension components

When having new or up-rated suspension fitted it's advisable to replace such things like the rear coil spring mounting cups as these can sometimes be worn. When uprating your suspension, using old worn parts can sometimes cause vibration or knocking from the worn components so we always advise to replace these parts at the same time. Please Click Here for the genuine VW OE rear spring cups.

*we do not offer a fitting service for 4Motion models. If you have a Sportline model your vehicle will already be lowered by -30m*

All specified lowering rates may vary approx. +/- 10 mm depending on vehicle standard specification, options, tolerances & age. For example camper conversions, carrying more or less weight in the rear.

*After any adjustment to a vehicles ride height it is recommend the vehicle’s geometry is checked and re-aligned using suitable equipment. Failure to do can result in excessive and uneven tyre wear and in extreme cases even affect the vehicles handling. Please note Vanstyle do not offer an alignment/geometry service and alignment is NOT included within the Free Fitting Service.*

Pricing: £158.33 ex Vat
VAT: £31.67
Total: £190.00 inc Vat

From reading other posts the Bilstein B14 looks a popular option - would these give a better (more comfortable) ride and be compatible with the stock shocks?

From reading other posts the Bilstein B14 looks a popular option - would these give a better (more comfortable) ride and be compatible with the stock shocks?
i run OEM Sportline suspension.

so one of the Trade guys copied in above would be best to advise you on your upgrade options.

but, as you say the B14`s are very popular.

Your current springs are so coil bound that replacing them with a better quality spring will help, but any after market lowering spring that you combine with standard shocks will lead to a reduction in ride quality from standard. The standard shocks just don't work very well with after market lowering springs. To avoid spending money twice, you would be better off going for a solution that includes upgraded shocks, such as the fantastic Koni shocks we offer, plus lowering springs, or a quality coil over kit, depending on which would be most suitable. We have a few options available that can greatly improve the ride comfort compared to what is currently fitted and I'll be happy to discuss it in more detail, just drop me a DM if you would like to discuss it further. It's very important to specify the correct suspension for the correct application, so it's useful to know how the van is regularly used, what sort of load it carries, how much lowering you are ideally looking for etc.

These springs are doomed to fail ! the design of them is to have the centre coils close , but with a one spring fits all scenario , the springs often get over stressed with heavier vans and campers. This stretches the spring steel and the paint ( powder coating ) flakes causing rust and ultimate stress failure ..

The Height of the van is important because if the spring allows the van to sit too low the shock cant function and the ride is terrible .

B14 is old hat nowadays most of the dealers who sold that kit are selling other things nowadays .
We have the largest range of suspension solutions and our spring range has 8 different strengths so we can hook up the best result by far for any van , any weight !

worth a chat with us i would say .
SH

EA9B2869-6861-4825-B772-428B6DB7FCE1.jpegMy B14’s after less than 20k !!
Just fitted the KW ST-X kit from The Vancave and the difference is night and day interns of ride and comfort.
When fitted they just look like they are going to work, the B14’s are almost coil bound with no weight in the rear.

Dependant on budget, I would stay away from springs only or a spring/shock upgrade. The best and proven suspension upgrade is a decent set of coilovers, we stock the following if we can be of any assistance;

STX T30 and soon T32
KWV1 T32
STXA T30
Bilstein B14 Komforts

You are lucky there is a very good choice of very good suspension available to choose from, and we can advise what will be best for your needs.

I have a kamperkings interior and towbar (bikes only). So I'm guessing that would be considered quite heavy. I'm also up in Scotland, any recommendations for engineering firms in the central belt whi can fit these?

The vehicle will have a plated weight that the suspension will be able to work to. T26/27/28/30/32 etc.

We supplied plenty of mail-order suspension up to Scotland, there are plenty of decent garages up there to fit for sure.

Dependant on budget, I would stay away from springs only or a spring/shock upgrade. The best and proven suspension upgrade is a decent set of coilovers, we stock the following if we can be of any assistance;

STX T30 and soon T32
KWV1 T32
STXA T30
Bilstein B14 Komforts

You are lucky there is a very good choice of very good suspension available to choose from, and we can advise what will be best for your needs.
Completely disagree with this comment we have between 20 and 30 customers a month that are delighted with a quality performance matched spring / shock combination Coil overs are definitely Not for everyone , there are also tons of clients who don’t want to lower their vans. Of course coil overs can not do this at all. , Many coil over kits have proved to be unfit for purpose as they have one spring used for all applications. ( As can be seen in the picture of the rear B14 springs above ) So worrying about the weight category of your van and getting the correct spring rates is futile because all coil overs come with same spring rates regardless of the vans weight …
simply research on this forum to see how pleased van owners are with sport shocks and springs , search Koni special or special actives . More than enough evidence of the superior performance of these amazing parts ,

Last edited:
Back