Newbie Options

DesmoDave

VIP Member
Hi Folks,
Hope all are well, I did say hello on the other thread...
I've been pondering a van for a while now (who hasn't :)) but the choice is a bit daunting. I don't need a van for work but I'd like something I can use as a daily driver, move bikes around, move stuff around, maybe the odd overnight at a race meeting (basic camping), have the option of moving more than 2/3 people sometimes, but something that goes reasonably well.
All draws me to a Kombi, judging by what I see on here I understand the rear seats can quite easily be removed ? My car is an auto so DSG appeals and the 204 also appeals although I've not driven any so maybe lower HP's are plenty given the cost penalty of the more powerful version ?
Is 4motion worth having ? I see it as a worth it for the bigger HP but maybe overkill for me given as I don't live on a farm and if its that bad (winter) I'll use the car or stay at home.
Any suggestions/advice much appreciated...
Cheers, Dave

I was considering a Kombi, but they are still quiet utilitarian. On occasions it would carry 6 people, so would have to have a twin passenger seat. I don't think they are as comfy as the single seats. The more I looked at them, then weighed up how much money it would cost to make it a little more plush, I was getting close to Caravelle money.

The Velle is very much like a car. The seats move around easily and can be taken out. The rear bench weighs a ton, so you don't want to have to do that too often. With the middle seats pushed forward to leave room for legs, and the rear bench slid right up to the backs of them, I've had 3 bikes in the 'boot' quite comfortably.

Whilst we all like power, I find the 150 DSG perfectly acceptable. It's a van after all, so I don't feel the urge to press on. Fuel consumption is around 40mpg, plus they are said to be easier on front tyres.

The downside is that it is classed as a car, therefore commands a higher VED. Mines £465 until it's 5 years old.

Thanks @dubber36, good food for thought...I did wonder how heavy the bench was plus it has to be stored when not used which did make me wonder if the panel van route with 3 seats would be more suitable but then comfort isn't so good and its even more utilitarian. The additional VED for 5 years is a cheek considering the purchase tax already paid !! and like you say, it's not something for honing around back lanes, especially loaded !
Definitely need to get myself some test drives sorted...

I'd second everything that @dubber36 has said. I went from a 2003 Caravelle to a 2008 Kombi, I'm driving a Caravelle again now for the interior luxuries.

Also, there are plenty of options for remapping (Pendle, Revo etc, etc) and it's a lot cheaper than the extra you'll pay for the extra horses from the factory, although I believe that the 204's have a different turbo set up to the 150s.

The only stuff I wish I had on mine is 4Motion and a Sunroof!

The only reason I took the rear bench out to go on hols was so that the kids could have a single seat each. You have to take the second row of seats and the table out in order to remove the rear bench. So the sensible thing to have done would be have just taken the row 2 seats and table out and slid the bench forward to make a plush Kombi. The rear bench still reclines, so is pretty comfy.

@Luckavell thanks, hadn't even considered the Caravelle or a sunroof, looking at the second hand market it's not a common option but I bet it's a nice one to have, lighten up the whole cab. I suppose a drive of a 150 and 204 would settle the power quandary.

I got an aftermarket manual one retrofitted to my kombi and it was great. Not sure I'd want to fit one in a still warrantied Caravelle though! I'd definitely spec it if I was to buy new.

20170817_093634.jpg

20170817_093617.jpg

20170817_093649.jpg

@Luckavell I'm liking that very much...all of it, the sun roof certainly doesn't look an after thought, great colour, is it a special ? you've got a lovely set up there....

My considerations were pretty similar to yours. Not a work van, but mainly a family vehicle used for carting the family plus bikes around, and all our stuff, for doing trips to the Alps in the summer and basic camping.

I was keen to go for the 204; done remapping before and wouldn't really want to do this in warranty. Considered 4motion but decided against it due to increased cost to buy and running costs (lower mpg plus more tyres and replaceable parts), as well as the fussiness of the 4motion on tyre diameters all round (i read it has a 3mm tolerance).

I've ended up going for what i believe is one of the last 2wd 204 kombis, which i'm hoping to pick up next week. The 204 has been phased out in favour of a 199, which i suspect is to do with the WLTP regulations (the new test cycle) as it has an additional cat and (very) minor de-tune. I also believe all of the 199's will be 4motions.

A rear bench is going to be pretty heavy to remove, but consider a 2+1 as a slightly more manageable option. They are very easy to remove, although pretty heavy still.

:whistle:
@Luckavell I'm liking that very much...all of it, the sun roof certainly doesn't look an after thought, great colour, is it a special ? you've got a lovely set up there....

Thank you.

It is my old facelifted t5, lovely machine but no A/C and with the 20" wheels, B14's and H&R ARB's it was awful round here in Campagnia, Italy due to the state of the roads and the temperature in summer.

That said, the handling was great on any smooth roads and the sunroof helped a bit with sucking all the warm air out. I spent a lot of time soundproofing it and, although I never measured it, it made a huge difference. The one sound that I couldn't get rid of, or didn't get round to addressing was the engine noise. It was the 2.5 TDI which pulled like a train but sounded very agricultural. Testament to the rest of the soundproofing I couldn't hear the engine prior to installing any! The new 2.0 litre engines are much more refined and quieter so I wouldn't be surprised if when soundproofed a T6 Kombi would be as quiet as a Caravelle.

The colour is Ravenna Blue, unfortunately not available on the T6, maybe on the 6.1, who knows. The closest you'll get on a T6 is Acapulco Blue but it's no where near as vibrant. There's always resprays and wraps though!;):whistle:

@Village Didn't realise about tyre wear but my thoughts on the 4motion are the same and I have to question on the rare occasions I'd need it is it worth the penalties. The split rear seat option would suit me, probably leaving the single rear in most of the time so still plenty of room for stuff. Another reason not to go for 4motion would be more limited choice on the used market, something low mileage, 1/2 years old would probably suit me, I really do begrudge having to pay 'extra' VED and keeping a new 4motion 204 variant below £40k isn't going to happen. I can see why they are so popular given the flexibility, within reason there's something for everyone in one vehicle. Thanks for the info, hope all goes well with yours when you get it, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts once you've had some time with it.

@ Lukavell It is a nice blue, reminds me a bit of the Audi mistral blue, albeit a bit lighter. There are some cracking mods to be done, looking at them on the forum they are amazing, I'd have to consider something fairly standard to begin with and go from there, don't want to lose practicality, I get the impression sound proofing is very worthwhile but I'm sure I'd get sucked into changing wheels, improving suspension...there I go and I haven't even got one yet !

Thanks guys, Dave.

Enjoy the new van. Prepare to have your wallet emptied as once you start its very, very hard to stop...……...

Back