Intercooler replacement options: go big or leave it alone?

andrewga

There's loads of info around on upgrading intercoolers and turbos to get 200bhp plus, but I'm after some opinions on the 'modest' options :)

I have a 2006 T5, 2.5 (AXD engine) with 173k miles. I've owned it from new and looked after it well. I fully recognise it's a van, and I don't want to turn it in to a sports car! But my intercooler has ruptured and needs replaced. The way I see it I have 3 options:

Option 1: Cheapie replacement
Looks like I can get a 3rd party replacement for anything from £120 and I can fit it myself. That way I keep going with my 130bhp van

Option 2: 'Uprated' intercooler like Airtec, Forge, Wagner or Forge
I don't mind paying the £500 for a decent upgrade if I get something from it, but if get no performance improvement or fuel efficiency (as some have suggested) then I don't see the point. I'd rather keep the £400 difference and drive another 100k miles until the new one blows up!

Option 3: Start on the slippery slope of more power
If I get the upgraded intercooler it would probably be with the notion of getting a bigger turbo (most likely when/if the original one packs in). With a remap too this is looking like a £1000-£1500 endeavour. If it gave me a great van for years to come I'd pay it, but given the great reliability I have had for years and years I am very reluctant to push it too hard and draw trouble on myself.

So, the big question is, I suppose, is it worth seeking more power in a 17 year old van, or do I put it back together cheaply and as it was and hope to get another 170k miles out of it!

TIA...

I’ve had an Airtec on my 2016 150 DSG for about a year, and very happy.. my previous intercooler suffered from damage by a stone, the Airtec did improve performance and mpg, but only marginally.. easy to fit etc too

Back