Newbie Looking To Buy A T6 What Engine?

David1066

Hi all
I've been looking to buy a t6 for a while but no sure what to go for as I've read some horror stories about different ones.
Any advice welcome as my last vw van was a company t5 102 lwb back in 2005

What are you going to be using it for ?
We have a 102 campervan, which is fine, but might be too slow for someone using it daily.
None of the engines are bad in the T6.

Pete

What's your plans for it david...? Works van.., Daily commute, camper conversion..? Long trips, off road... So many variables to consider when choosing the right model

A friend and I both like fast cars (we have caterhams) and he thought I was foolish buying a 102 hp T6. He has been pleasantly surprised with how it goes.

I guess its a slightly tougher decision now the Revo remap has been withdrawn.

I’m happy with my 102. Whatever you get it will put a smile on you face every time you drive it!

Ian

As others have said .....what are you going to use the van for and over what types of roads/ distances

I’ve got a T 6 kombi 150 bhp ..... a very good allrounder , except the fuel consumption ... the VW figures are pure fantasy

Very pleased with our 102 camper good economy (mid 40's) cruises well on Motorways but its not a sports car. If you bear that in mind its great!

Thanks for the replies
I'm after a work van initially but in the long term it will replace my current car .
So to start with I'd have it racked out but with the option of maybe removing it when required , adding a second row of seats etc.
I'd prefer a 6 speed gearbox but wouldn't be end of the world.

I had a 140 T5 which was great. Fast enough, powerful enough - it would even quite happily tow when fully loaded.

Very pleased with our 102 camper good economy (mid 40's) cruises well on Motorways but its not a sports car. If you bear that in mind its great!

fully agree with this on all points, its exactly the same for me. I probably would have chosen a higher bhp model given the choice, but this van ticked a lot of the boxes, so went for it and i was pleasantly surprised..its by no means a slouch for normal driving

Highline spec gets you a few more extras such as air con...

Better off imo with a 150 bhp or higher unless your one for watching the mpg...

Blimey, you're very lucky getting that. I have a 102 camper conversion and i get no where near mid 40's :(

Love My T30 102 T line 2016 blue motion around 40 M P G has air con and cruise, non roll breaks has been great work horse for 3 years now

and has less to go wrong than a High line i ll add any bits if i need them and got my conversion planed for the back of it now

so get what you can for as much as you can afford in any of the models you wont be disappointed but remember the Blue vans are faster

Had a T5.1 102 campervan then had it remapped by Pendle. A lot nicer drive with a marked amount of extra grunt. Now have a T6 150 campervan with DSG which I’m really liking though will no doubt remap as well. It’s not meant to be a speed machine, but for me, the extra torque and grunt over the 102 made it a more relaxed easier drive and no struggling up steep hills.

Had a T5.1 102 campervan then had it remapped by Pendle. A lot nicer drive with a marked amount of extra grunt. Now have a T6 150 campervan with DSG which I’m really liking though will no doubt remap as well. It’s not meant to be a speed machine, but for me, the extra torque and grunt over the 102 made it a more relaxed easier drive and no struggling up steep hills.

hi Donk but what about your fuel consumption after the mapping did it improve

Ferrari diesel and steep hills is just a gear change cant say my van has struggled on any of the Surrey hills even loaded up it and for comfort i cant wit to take out the bulk head so i can move my seat back a notch or 2 my weekender conversion should 't weigh to much cant wait building it just getting the material lists together now

hi Donk but what about your fuel consumption after the mapping did it improve

Ferrari diesel and steep hills is just a gear change cant say my van has struggled on any of the Surrey hills even loaded up it and for comfort i cant wit to take out the bulk head so i can move my seat back a notch or 2 my weekender conversion should 't weigh to much cant wait building it just getting the material lists together now

To be honest I don't really know about the fuel consumption. didn't pay too much attention to it. I think I will with this one out of curiosity.

150 highline with full camper conversion, enough power for a van. Fuel isn't too bad, did Luxembourg and Germany last year, avg was around low 40s. I was on my hols so was in no rush and enjoyed the scenery. Kept it at 65 to 75 on motorways.

Back