New vs. Used Prices

soxley

VIP Member
Hi all. Noob here, getting prepared to embark on first DSG Kombi purchase. I'm still learning, and wanted to sanity check the cost of new vs used/nearly-new…

Used/nearly-new vans that meet the spec I’m after currently sit at around £44k-£46k at most dealers. However, I’ve run a few new options through AutoeBid and OTR is coming in at around £39k (based on a 15% discount).

So are used prices are currently higher than new? Is this because of short-supply and long delivery leads times for new vehicles?

Hiya chap I bought a 20 plate 204 t6 in December it was cheaper for me to buy that as a standard van than a van already done. I would of been looking at say a 58/19 plate for what I paid so I’d say from vw it works out better for me. I’ll be selling mine at the end of the year for my new sportline black edition so I hope the prices are still strong.

Hi all. Noob here, getting prepared to embark on first DSG Kombi purchase. I'm still learning, and wanted to sanity check the cost of new vs used/nearly-new…

Used/nearly-new vans that meet the spec I’m after currently sit at around £44k-£46k at most dealers. However, I’ve run a few new options through AutoeBid and OTR is coming in at around £39k (based on a 15% discount).

So are used prices are currently higher than new? Is this because of short-supply and long delivery leads times for new vehicles?
Yep, that’s about right. Anyone in receipt of a brand new van at the moment, could turn it around immediately and make a good profit - crazy world!! Simple supply and demand issue

This is why Iv put my deposit on for a new t6.1 sportline black edition. Who knows I may get offered more when I get it.

Thanks - so it's as I thought. Crazy times. Now the dilemma... save a few £k but have to wait for a good while (some are saying 2022?), or swallow the extra cost. Hmmmm.

More thinking/planning to do. It will be a lifestyle van (coming, MTBS, etc.) so no urgency on time other than my own impatience!

Its definitely worth ringing around a few dealers @soxley

Whilst some don’t have any factory allocation left and will therefore tell you they can’t deliver until next year, there will be some that still have factory allocation this year.

But your best outcome is finding a dealer with a stock order similar to the spec you want already placed with the factory. This is something they will be planning to put in the forecourt when it lands, or use as a demo. As long as the factory hasn’t yet given it a confirmed build date, you should be able to amend the spec with any extras you want.

I managed to get one of these ordered on 1st Feb and it was delivered last week of March. I know a few others have been able to do the same recently. You’ll need to cast the net wide and make a few calls, but it may well be worth it and you may well strike lucky - just don’t constrain yourself to local dealers only.

You might also come across the odd cancelled order in your phone calls which comes close to what you want. If you can be a little flexible on spec/colour, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Its definitely worth ringing around a few dealers @soxley

Whilst some don’t have any factory allocation left and will therefore tell you they can’t deliver until next year, there will be some that still have factory allocation this year.

But your best outcome is finding a dealer with a stock order similar to the spec you want already placed with the factory. This is something they will be planning to put in the forecourt when it lands, or use as a demo. As long as the factory hasn’t yet given it a confirmed build date, you should be able to amend the spec with any extras you want.

I managed to get one of these ordered on 1st Feb and it was delivered last week of March. I know a few others have been able to do the same recently. You’ll need to cast the net wide and make a few calls, but it may well be worth it and you may well strike lucky - just don’t constrain yourself to local dealers only.

You might also come across the odd cancelled order in your phone calls which comes close to what you want. If you can be a little flexible on spec/colour, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Thanks Ozi. That's really helpful. I've never purchased new before, so it's a steep learning curve!

Just PM’d you some extra details that might help

Just PM’d you some extra details that might help
Hi @Ozi may i ask - could you PM me any advice also....just embarking on the same journey for a new van to replace my Kombi bought in 2007
i got a price from a Dealer today....works out at 1% discount on the Config builder list price for a £55k van!

Back