Buying a new van since 2007 -> Price shock (and T6 / T6.1 thoughts)

northy

I bought my Kombi in 2007 (its a 06 LWB 130) and now looking to get a replacement some 15 yrs later, so have been out of the loop as far as Vans go for many years

But boy what a shock - I assumed i was going to buy a 2nd hand T6 (T32 Kombi LWB DSG / maybe 4motion) but im now wondering if i swallow the long lead time (im hearing 12 mths?) and go for a new 6.1 instead, so i get a new vehicle with warranty etc

Im seeing 4/5 yr old T6 vans that are 20% off the current T6.1 new OTR price (so probably same price as they were originally or more?)

I got a quote today from a dealer for a new van...their quote was just 1.0% lower than the online configurator on a £51k high spec DSG!
I guess its all supply and demand (anecdotally there are certainly a LOT more Kombis around now then when i bought mine thats for sure)

Q. I have seem a few videos etc and looks like the key downside on the current model is the lack of the more sophisticated Dash....other than that is the general concensus 6.1 is superior?
Oh and I guess Addblue is PITA. Anything else?

Q2. Any insider views on current wait times...or is this clear as mud? I read horror stories

Q3. i live in Pembs so miles from any dealer - nearest in Swansea - so happy to shop around...any recommendations?

Q4. Finally - anybody use autoebid....i tried last night but couldnt seem to add all the 9 options i wanted...will try again!

Thanks for any insights!
Northy

Have had my t6 for nearly four years and it is the best van I have owned.
The Adblu does not appear to be a problem.
Not keen on stop start, it seems to have slow dimwit response more often than not. Generally it’s nearly acceptable.
Having had a few t6.1 loan vans, I actually prefer my t6. They have made the footwell in the t6.1 too snug and no foot rest if you have a dsg. Which is not as good as my current one. Also being an old fashioned duffer, prefer the nav/radio arrangement on my own to the t6.1 newer arrangement.
The doors on the newer t6.1 seem thinner lighter and less robust. The sliding door lock system is different and obviously fixing a problem they have with the older lock failing. Just seems to digital rather than the more mechanical previous method.

On waiting for 12 months, the used t6’s will probably be back down to the more normal values. Definitely get a test drive or two of the two different models.

Reactions: JOG
On the subject of dealers. In my opinion the local to me are not any good and lie proficiently.
Have had excellent service from Swindon Van Centre, both on buying used and service/warranty repairs. Even though they are one and a half hours away it’s worth the effort!

Back