New Van Discount - What should I Expect?

sw25481

VIP Member
This is a little bit of a repeat of someone else's thread from 4 months ago. So much has changed so I hope you do not mind me asking again.

What do folk think should be the target discount % you should be looking for from a dealer on a new van if you are willing to wait?

I saw a thread from a year or two ago where back then most people were advising 10-15% and another from 4 months ago saying AutoeBid was still suggesting 15%, both of which sounded punchy to me.

I know 2nd hand van prices, especially nearly new, are very high and all about the microchip and other challenges that have got us here. The few vans showing available at the dealers are roughly list price with a little more than delivery mileage on them before having a conversation. Some of the private sellers are less realistic than the dealers. There are just very few nearly new vans around and the ones at the dealers are very high spec so finding one that meets your exact needs to drive away today is hard without overspending on things that were not a priority. That said, I have been offered vans for delivery this year close to the spec I ideally want so some converters and dealers clearly have some allocations they are willing to sell. It is not all doom and gloom

Perhaps it is still possible, even realistic to expect to be able to negotiate?

Thanks all in advance for any advice

Scott

This is a little bit of a repeat of someone else's thread from 4 months ago. So much has changed so I hope you do not mind me asking again.

What do folk think should be the target discount % you should be looking for from a dealer on a new van if you are willing to wait?

I saw a thread from a year or two ago where back then most people were advising 10-15% and another from 4 months ago saying AutoeBid was still suggesting 15%, both of which sounded punchy to me.

I know 2nd hand van prices, especially nearly new, are very high and all about the microchip and other challenges that have got us here. The few vans showing available at the dealers are roughly list price with a little more than delivery mileage on them before having a conversation. Some of the private sellers are less realistic than the dealers. There are just very few nearly new vans around and the ones at the dealers are very high spec so finding one that meets your exact needs to drive away today is hard without overspending on things that were not a priority. That said, I have been offered vans for delivery this year close to the spec I ideally want so some converters and dealers clearly have some allocations they are willing to sell. It is not all doom and gloom

Perhaps it is still possible, even realistic to expect to be able to negotiate?

Thanks all in advance for any advice

Scott
I would plan my budget for no discount and then what ever you get is a bonus. As ever, decide on your spec - there will be lots of threads on here regarding that - and then shop around to different dealerships. when i went looking for mine i went to and called all over the country to get the best discount and then went to my local dealer and asked him to match it which he did - after a chat...

I would plan my budget for no discount and then what ever you get is a bonus. As ever, decide on your spec - there will be lots of threads on here regarding that - and then shop around to different dealerships. when i went looking for mine i went to and called all over the country to get the best discount and then went to my local dealer and asked him to match it which he did - after a chat...
Very sound advice. Exactly what I did. It's surprising what extras you can blag too by playing them off of each other.

What's the worst they can do? Say no!

Odd situation IMO, I’m guessing you are talking about a van that doesn’t exist yet and doesn’t have a firm delivery date. Getting a potential customer to pay anything upfront for a photo in a brochure must be the pinnacle of every sales managers career.
If it were a double glazing company BBC Watchdog would be all over them.
If you are determined to pay and wait then go in with low offer, as others have said they can only say no.
If you are going to pay anything up front read the small print.

Back