Buying a new van since 2007 -> Price shock (and T6 / T6.1 thoughts)

northy

Hi, thanks for letting me join the forum

I bought my Kombi in 2007 (its a 06 LWB 130) and now looking to get a replacement some 15 yrs later, so have been out of the loop as far as Vans go for many years

But boy what a shock - I assumed i was going to buy a 2nd hand T6 (T32 Kombi LWB DSG / maybe 4motion) but im now wondering if i swallow the long lead time (im hearing 12 mths?) and go for a new 6.1 instead, so i get a new vehicle with warranty etc

Im seeing 4/5 yr old T6 vans that are 20% off the current T6.1 new OTR price (so probably same price as they were originally or more?)

I got a quote today from a dealer for a new van...their quote was just 1.0% lower than the online configurator on a £51k high spec DSG!
I guess its all supply and demand (anecdotally there are certainly a LOT more Kombis around now then when i bought mine thats for sure)

Q1. I have seem a few videos etc and looks like the key downside on the current model is the lack of the more sophisticated Dash....other than that is the general concensus 6.1 is superior?
Oh and I guess Addblue is PITA. Anything else?

Q2. Any insider views on current wait times...or is this clear as mud? I read horror stories

Q3. i live in Pembs so miles from any dealer - nearest in Swansea so happy to shop around...any recommendations?

Q4. Finally - anybody use autoebid....i tried last night but couldnt seem to add all the 9 options i wanted...will try again!

Thanks for any insights!
Northy

I used Autoebid. It took and eternity to arrive but that's par for the course at the moment. I also tried Swansea but their discount was nowhere near Autoebid. I'd email Autoebid or ring, and ask for a quote with the extra options you would like. They'll send through a quote and you can compare elsewhere like for like. Cardiff came significantly closer to Autoebid than Swansea so best to shop around and see who will offer what.

Good luck.

I'd been searching for nigh on 8 months, seen plenty pre-owned vans but the prices were outrageous. My original budget of 18k was looking pathetic as many were asking that for a 10 yr old PV & anything newer came with seriously high mileage. Finally struck lucky with my local VW Dealer on a 2018 T6 Highline (no VAT) with added years warranty, breakdown cover & service plan till 2026. As soon as anything reasonable is advertised it gets snapped up. Even managed to sell my old 2006 Caddy within 24 hours of advertising it. Hope you manage to find something without paying over the odds.

I used AutoeBid, although I couldn’t get all my spec to come up. Instead I used the VW configurator, and emailed them the code.

I got a quote from Ashford that no one else would meet, so quite happy so far with AutoeBid. Just waiting ‘patiently’ for the van now.

Back