new van option of second battery. Help!

minmax89

VIP Member
T6 Pro
In the van configurator (www.volkswagenvans.ie):
The battery section of the optional extras (in Ireland so may be different to the UK) there are two options:

- Second AGM battery with cut off relay 92Ah 520A €305.13
- Second AGM battery with cut off relay with battery monitoring 92Ah 520A €382.73

if I select the first option, all is fine and it gets added. If I select the second, I get all kinds of options, saying:

You need to add one of these:
- Terminal block and function control module with body builder (ABH) programming €530
- Terminal block and function control module with telematics preparation and body builder (ABH) programming. No additional costs
- Function control module €375.81
- Function control module and telematics preparation €672.51
- Terminal block with function control module (2) and body builder programming €580.97
- Terminal block and functional control module (2) with telematics preparation and body builder (ABH) programming. No additional costs

Can anyone in the know please help with what these mean?

This is a panel van for work but I have plans to put a simple bed in the back, insulate, etc. so thought a second aux battery would be a good idea and everyone seems to think I should get it fitted at the factory, rather than retro fitting later. I am also thinking of a 240 invertor, but that is another conversation!

Many thanks
Adam

The 6.1 has the ability to fully charge the second battery* if you select the option with the battery monitoring but it needs extra kit to acomplish this. If its just a simple setup you require, select the no cost option.

*prior to the 6.1 the bluemotion only charged all batteries to 80% to allow for regeration braking.

The 6.1 has the ability to fully charge the second battery* if you select the option with the battery monitoring but it needs extra kit to acomplish this. If its just a simple setup you require, select the no cost option.

*prior to the 6.1 the bluemotion only charged all batteries to 80% to allow for regeration braking.
Thanks. So if I select the 'no cost option' as in, without the battery monitoring, does the van NOT charge the second battery? If so, how does it get charged? Or does it just charge to the 80% thingy?

Thanks. So if I select the 'no cost option' as in, without the battery monitoring, does the van NOT charge the second battery? If so, how does it get charged? Or does it just charge to the 80% thingy?
It does get charged buy a large relay, but because of the bluemotion, once the starter battery reaches 80% charge the alternator stops charging. This can be overcome by using a dc-dc charger instead of the relay, there are loads of topics on this if you search the forum.

It does get charged buy a large relay, but because of the bluemotion, once the starter battery reaches 80% charge the alternator stops charging. This can be overcome by using a dc-dc charger instead of the relay, there are loads of topics on this if you search the forum.
Thanks @Loz. I did do a search, but as I know next to nothing in this area its hard to know what to search for. But I'll crack on.
Have a look at chapter 2.5.4.1 in T6.1 Bodybuilder's guide (download the PDF-file) --> Body builder guidelines - BodybuilderDatabase
Thank you.
I was reading that section and it has a note:
'The second battery is always located as standard under the seat on the left in the direction of travel'
I'm having the two seater bench seat there. Does this mean it will be located in that?
I saw a guy with a aux battery under the drivers seat (but it was aftermarket fitted). I'd prefer that. I really like and use the storage in the bench seat so hope that it's not installed there at the factory.

Anyone know what I would search the forum for to see if anyone has a pic of the Second AGM battery fitted from factory?

Thanks @Loz. I did do a search, but as I know next to nothing in this area its hard to know what to search for. But I'll crack on.

Thank you.
I was reading that section and it has a note:
'The second battery is always located as standard under the seat on the left in the direction of travel'
I'm having the two seater bench seat there. Does this mean it will be located in that?
I saw a guy with a aux battery under the drivers seat (but it was aftermarket fitted). I'd prefer that. I really like and use the storage in the bench seat so hope that it's not installed there at the factory.

Anyone know what I would search the forum for to see if anyone has a pic of the Second AGM battery fitted from factory?
Yes, the factory-fit aux battery will definitely be on the passenger side. @Dellmassive may be able to provide a photo of his aux battery under the double bench seat.

OEM setup on mine: (under passenger bench_)

(Note: it will have a rubber cover over it . . . .)

1621880413850.png1621880422900.png

more info here:

1621880553771.png

this is with the rubber cover back on . . . . : https://www.t6forum.com/threads/sto...r-for-leisure-battery-or-not.6954/post-151280

1621880585373.png

OEM setup on mine: (under passenger bench_)

(Note: it will have a rubber cover over it . . . .)

View attachment 117274View attachment 117275

more info here:

View attachment 117276

this is with the rubber cover back on . . . . : https://www.t6forum.com/threads/sto...r-for-leisure-battery-or-not.6954/post-151280

View attachment 117277
Thank you so much @Dellmassive ! Thats a great help. (sorry, missed the notification for this post)

I've currently put the first option in (without battery monitoring) because if I choose the latter (with battery monitoring) and then pick any of the further options, I have to get rid of the bench seat in exchange for a single passenger seat. Not sure why but thats what the configurator says!

In Ireland, our configurator is at www.volkswagonvans.ie and this is the van configurator page. Some of you might be interested in looking at the differences in the options list.

Adam

I'm ordering a new LWB T30 to convert. The VW battery options are "Second battery (68Ah, AGM) with cut-off relay £300 or (75Ah AGM) with cut-off relay and battery monitoring." £378 - I am going for front passenger single seat with swivel and I understand it will be located under there. I am planning on using a van converter company for the electrics, (fridge, lights etc.) Is it best to get this extra battery option included with the new vehicle or have it done later? Is it basically a Split Charge relay? Is the VW supplied extra battery big enough for a Camper van running a fridge etc? If not, will I be able to add another battery or upgrade it? VW dealer not much help!!
Many thanks, JonnyL

Hi, I am awaiting my T6.1 kombi to arrive. I’ve added a second battery to the van. Could anyone confirm which seat base it will be located please? It’s twin seats up front. I read on an earlier post passenger seat. Is this correct and does anyone have any photos? Hoping to put my 600W inverter under there too. Thanks.

Hi, I am awaiting my T6.1 kombi to arrive. I’ve added a second battery to the van. Could anyone confirm which seat base it will be located please? It’s twin seats up front. I read on an earlier post passenger seat. Is this correct and does anyone have any photos? Hoping to put my 600W inverter under there too. Thanks.
Have a look at @Dellmassive ’s post above and it will answer your questions and show its under the passenger bench seat

Have a look at @Dellmassive ’s post above and it will answer your questions and show its under the passenger bench seat
I have done but he’s got a double bench seat and I’ve got 1+1 so not sure if it differs. I’ve currently got a T6 with a double bench and it’s under there as Just the same as @Dellmassive. Has anyone else got twin captains up front with the battery option?

The second battery is under the passenger single captains seat too

more pics over here:

Back