Ex-RAC wiring - comparison needed.

Race0360

VIP Member
Hi
Bought a T6 2017 ex RAC transporter. Took me over the christmas period just to remove the additional wiring to get it back to standard before over the next 4 months to convert it. The 2nd battery has been disconnected, turn around and Red wires have been taped up and earth wire has been removed and left in glove box. I take this was done for safety reasons.

Can someone tell me how this can be put back together.

Would it be Turn the battery around first.
The 4 small red wires taped together connect to positive battery terminal in left of photo.
Reinstall the earth lead and earth on relay.
The larger red wires taped together on the right in photo which after checking are live leave taped together and secure them safely.
I have checked battery voltage across terminals and its 13.2 volts so it a good battery.
The wiring across terminals I have put in to run temporary led lights in the back so I can work on it without flattening main battery.
The converter and router are not connected in any way to the second battery or its wiring. These have been disconnected and will be removed at weekend.

Any help would be appreciated or photos of any fitted.

Bat 2.jpg

Bat 3.jpg

Here's the link to the wiring diagram for the 2nd battery (available in VIP section):

One of the large red wires connect to the 60a fuse in your photo. This goes to the +I've terminal on the 2nd battery for charging.

The 100 relay is split charge relay.
I can't find details of fuse holder H to see what your 3 fuses in the centre are for. They probably connect to some of the thinner red wires that have been taped up.

Actually looks like they are for the towbar (643 is towbar relay).
Thanks to @mmi and @Skyliner33 for info here:
Post in thread 'Help Identifying Fuses Please' Help Identifying Fuses Please

Does that loose earth wire go to the 100 relay? If yes, it connects to the same chassis ground point as the battery earth strap.
You should be safe to turn the battery around and connect the earth strap. and then confirm each red wire before you connect them up.

Reactions: mmi
Hi
The 3 large red wires on the right of photo are all crimp soldered together and was bound together with a factory cloth binding

It has a factory tow bar fitted to vehicle

Just been out to vehicle. I have un clipped and pulled the large 3 red wires out. It now appears to be one red wire that is loop up to appear as 3. Now its in the open in full view its got a ring connecter on the end which would attach to positive terminal. it will runs to 60a fuse.
The 4 small red wires that are factory crimped together I think should not be linked to battery as they are live.

Think the best option now is to connect the now single large wire to battery which in turn will go to relay. Connect 2 earths back up. the 4 small red wires factory crimped together is insulate and secure safely. Finger crossed.

Bat 4.jpg

Bat 5.jpg

I stated
The 3 large red wires on the right of photo are all crimp soldered together and was bound together with a factory cloth binding.
This is incorrect. it's the 4 small red wires on the left of photo

With the charging relay connected do you see a voltage increase accross the battery terminals when you start the van?

I stated
The 3 large red wires on the right of photo are all crimp soldered together and was bound together with a factory cloth binding.
This is incorrect. it's the 4 small red wires on the left of photo
Where do those 3 wires go; to the fuse panel or under the cab matt towards the front of the van?
Do they have 12v?

Got day off tomorrow so will crack on with it in daylight and try and solve it. I will be in touch tomorrow with the the problem solved I hope. thanks for you advice

Thanks Paddy for your info.
Striped all out to see exactly what is what. The 4 small red wires crimped together showed 0.4 volts. they ran up to relays, so I reinsulated them and secured them to loom. The large red one went to the relay and +Battery terminal. The brown wire went - battery terminal to earth on body and earth from charging relay to body.
2nd Battery voltage was 12.6. Started her up and across rev range it was went up and down with revs 14.2 -14.7 volts so it is now been charged.
Connected my fused temporary Led lights, Reinstalled battery rubber cover.

Once again thanks for your guidance.

Bat 6.jpg

Bat 7.jpg

You should check your towbar lights are working correctly. Wiring diagram shows 2 wires connecting to 2nd battery: sh15(30a. Prob the green one beside the relay) and sh4(blue one beside the 2 yellows .
You could remove those fuses and do continuity test to confirm.

It was a Old RAC van, They only had the bar fitted. Electrics was run off the own independent system which I have removed and later the towbar will be removed.

Does anyone still have an EX RAC T6 with secondary battery wired up? I stupidly removed the battery and RAC wiring without taking a picture first. Now I have a number of issues that could possibly be related. No connection to NOX sensor, No connection to particular filter and no rear lights (Brake lights work though). Any help is appreciated.

No battery is still connected at the moment it's just on the other side but I have had it in and out since I got it and haven't had any issues with lights, have you unplugged the other connections and not plugged it back in right?

The only connection I do have on the battery though is the positive and negative from the relay, I have removed the others and have no issues.

Back