New member needing double seat advice

Blackstar

T6 Pro
Hi, new member and first (probably of many!) question please, sorry if it's too basic.
I'm trying to spec a new T6.1 from our local VWVC in Newcastle and do not understand the seat configurations. We'd like the double passenger seat in the front to swivel. Is it best to spec that from new (if you can) or let a conversion company do this?
Am I right in assuming that would give me 3 seats in the front (and 5 seats after camper conversion) and therefore not to necessary for the drivers to swivel?
Thank you for your help, Ian

You can’t specify a double swivel from the factory. You can however fit an after market swivel to a double seat.

Thanks for the quick reply Deaky. So I'd just buy the van as standard spec seats and get the conversion company to do it?
Keeping the drivers seat static and the swivel double, is that a popular configuration? I want to be able to seat 5 (4 adults & a child) after conversion.

Watch a few youtube videos on different types of swivel bases because some of them look a real pain to turn
Definitely don't go for the cheapest option :thumbsup:

Watch a few youtube videos on different types of swivel bases because some of them look a real pain to turn
Definitely don't go for the cheapest option :thumbsup:
cheers, no certainly not the cheapest option. I'll be getting it fully converted by a company so will check which one they use. I also wondered if it was a mistake not to get the drivers to swivel? Seems an extra expense if it's mainly just the two of using it and I've heard you lose the seat height adjustment if it swivels.

It depends what furniture you have fitted, you might end up with something behind the drivers seat and not be able to swivel it anyway?

It depends what furniture you have fitted, you might end up with something behind the drivers seat and not be able to swivel it anyway?
Yes I wondered that, gives more space I suppose. I think I'll stick to the double seat swivel only.

Note that you lose height adjustment if you go for a swivel on the drivers seat, that's the nugget of knowledge that's important. And there's the faff of turning it anyway, I hear

A good condition single passenger seat will fetch 800/900 pounds 2nd hand, whereas 2nd hand doubles only fetch a couple of hundred.

If you spec'd your new van with a single passenger seat, you could make some money on its sale in place of a double.

Just a thought.

The thing to remember if you spec a single passenger seat is that you can't safely swap it for a double later down the line as you will only have a single passenger airbag in the dash
If you spec a double seat - you get a double airbag
I swapped my double for a single, but there's only me & the wife as my kids are grown up so no need for the double

Reactions: .50
I would spec a factory drivers swivel, they always used to be cheaper when ordered with a van than many aftermarket swivels. Not sure if VW have clocked onto this and jacked the price up though?

The thing to remember if you spec a single passenger seat is that you can't safely swap it for a double later down the line as you will only have a single passenger airbag in the dash
If you spec a double seat - you get a double airbag
I swapped my double for a single, but there's only me & the wife as my kids are grown up so no need for the double

Ah, I didnt know that.
Cheers.

Many thanks for all your help and advice. As I want 5 seats after the camper conversion I think I’ll stick to the basic seat configuration and get the conversion company to fit a good swivel to the double seat. Hadn’t realised that wasn’t an option from VW themselves. I’ll stick to a non swivel drivers seat.
I think from reading many posts on here that the main extra I’ll get is the LED lights. Have these on my Audi and they do make a difference. I’ll probably forgo the power close on the sliding door to help costs. Is it best to start another thread to ask the benefits/usefulness of a rear wash wiper on the tailgate?
Thank you all once again.

Blackstar - If you're sticking with the double seat, I would also recommend the Vankraft reclining / folding bracket which transforms the comfort of the seat (and it's a very easy DIY mod). Use the search button to read all about it.

Many thanks for all your help and advice. As I want 5 seats after the camper conversion I think I’ll stick to the basic seat configuration and get the conversion company to fit a good swivel to the double seat. Hadn’t realised that wasn’t an option from VW themselves. I’ll stick to a non swivel drivers seat.
I think from reading many posts on here that the main extra I’ll get is the LED lights. Have these on my Audi and they do make a difference. I’ll probably forgo the power close on the sliding door to help costs. Is it best to start another thread to ask the benefits/usefulness of a rear wash wiper on the tailgate?
Thank you all once again.
Does this answer your question? o_O
06A4FC79-DB88-45EA-A2EB-93ECC539C7BA.jpeg

Blackstar - If you're sticking with the double seat, I would also recommend the Vankraft reclining / folding bracket which transforms the comfort of the seat (and it's a very easy DIY mod). Use the search button to read all about it.
Thanks Ayjay, I'll look into that bracket.

Hi there, would also recommend the Vankraft bracket have just fitted and been told its much more comfortable than the very upright original would also recommend fitting the back board to the seat at the same time, we had the Kiravan swivel fitted and works well, good luck

Back