New Kenwood DNX516DABS Sat Nav, Any Good?

Thanks for the replies guys lots to think about and even more options of different units.
I think I'll have a good play with their Kenwood unit when I drop the van off with them Tuesday before I make my mind up.
@RS83 if you could let me know how you get on with the unit over the next two days I would be truly great full and thanks for the info so far.

I have this unit, here's a quick review.

The built in Garmin navigation does display on the DIS, not quite as well as the VW RNS510 though. Air Con, Steering wheel controls, heated seats and parking sensors display on screen, though not flawlessly, the unit needs you to 'Agree' to terms every time it switches on from cold so you can't see the parking sensor display until you've pressed it.

The unit is as expected, it has all the bells and whistles but not quite the class of the VW RNS510 and is much harder to use, I'm fairly techy and some of the Garmin functions I had to read the manual for, just not thought out that well. The whole user interface is flashy and quite American. The unit responds quickly to touch and no problems with the touch screen usage.

Will post a full review soon but initial thoughts are, if you want a factory fit then its easily the most advanced option available, it has CarPlay, Android, Sat Nav, Bluetooth Calling, USB / HDMI input. DAB+, Spotify built in (unlike CarPlay this works wirelessly) Camera inputs, Dual Zone audio and much more.

If you're not fussed about the Factory fit, then you might want to consider an standard aftermarket unit, as there's plenty of ones available for under the price of this, for example the Pioneer F88DAB, although this is now a pretty old unit and the CANBUS unit has to be brought separately (£130) and a fitting kit too (£35) so that adds up.

Any questions let me know.

I have this unit, here's a quick review.

The built in Garmin navigation does display on the DIS, not quite as well as the VW RNS510 though. Air Con, Steering wheel controls, heated seats and parking sensors display on screen, though not flawlessly, the unit needs you to 'Agree' to terms every time it switches on from cold so you can't see the parking sensor display until you've pressed it.

The unit is as expected, it has all the bells and whistles but not quite the class of the VW RNS510 and is much harder to use, I'm fairly techy and some of the Garmin functions I had to read the manual for, just not thought out that well. The whole user interface is flashy and quite American. The unit responds quickly to touch and no problems with the touch screen usage.

Will post a full review soon but initial thoughts are, if you want a factory fit then its easily the most advanced option available, it has CarPlay, Android, Sat Nav, Bluetooth Calling, USB / HDMI input. DAB+, Spotify built in (unlike CarPlay this works wirelessly) Camera inputs, Dual Zone audio and much more.

If you're not fussed about the Factory fit, then you might want to consider an standard aftermarket unit, as there's plenty of ones available for under the price of this, for example the Pioneer F88DAB, although this is now a pretty old unit and the CANBUS unit has to be brought separately (£130) and a fitting kit too (£35) so that adds up.

Any questions let me know.
Hi @reserves, I picked my van up from converters yesterday and today had a good play with it. The one problem I'm having is the microphone does not seem to work. I can hear people talking but they can't hear me. I've tried to find an option for micro phone settings but no joy. I'll get in touch with the converter Monday but can you suggest anything or have you got a similar problem?
It's the same when connected via Bluetooth and CarPlay.

Hi @reserves, I picked my van up from converters yesterday and today had a good play with it. The one problem I'm having is the microphone does not seem to work. I can hear people talking but they can't hear me. I've tried to find an option for micro phone settings but no joy. I'll get in touch with the converter Monday but can you suggest anything or have you got a similar problem?
It's the same when connected via Bluetooth and CarPlay.

Hmm, no problem for me. There's a screen where you can change the mic settings, it's in the Bluetooth setup. You can change volume / sensitivity etc.

Or could be a faulty mic?

Hmm, no problem for me. There's a screen where you can change the mic settings, it's in the Bluetooth setup. You can change volume / sensitivity etc.

Or could be a faulty mic?
Does yours work through CarPlay (connected via USB lead)

Does yours work through CarPlay (connected via USB lead)

My phone(samsung) or my wifes(iphone) would not connect with via USB..

I have safe mode wiped all caches on phone. Reset MFD setting, unpaired, repaired.. switch off, switch on..
Check/change and rechecked all setting in and out of placing calls.

I dont have Voice recon.. so that function is not available..

Will disconnect battery tomorrow and see if that sorts issue..
Failing that it'll be a trip to VW.

It worked with the standard unit. Looks like they installed a new mic, so the new Kenwood head unit is not using the original mic. @reserves are you using the factory mic or has a separate one been added?

Yes, separate mic. The factory one will not work with the Kenwood, it also won't fit.

Mine works fine, in Carplay and as normal.

The mic connection isn't complicated, it just plugs in the back so very strange if it's not working, could try resetting the unit, or failing that another mic

My phone(samsung) or my wifes(iphone) would not connect with via USB..

I have safe mode wiped all caches on phone. Reset MFD setting, unpaired, repaired.. switch off, switch on..
Check/change and rechecked all setting in and out of placing calls.

I dont have Voice recon.. so that function is not available..

Will disconnect battery tomorrow and see if that sorts issue..
Failing that it'll be a trip to VW.
Sounds like a trip to VW for you. Mine worked perfectly with Bluetooth on the standard unit.

Yes, separate mic. The factory one will not work with the Kenwood, it also won't fit.

Mine works fine, in Carplay and as normal.

The mic connection isn't complicated, it just plugs in the back so very strange if it's not working, could try resetting the unit, or failing that another mic
@reserves Does the MFSW controls for the phone work with your Kenwood? As I just tried pressing the phone button on the steering wheel and nothing happens. With the standard unit pressing the phone symbol activated the phone controls.

MFSW didn't operate my old Kenwood system in the Cali; I'd call it only partially integrated.
We had one partly because it came with BT phone kit; now even the standard stereo (which we have) has far superior BT and streams wirelessly really well.

@reserves Does the MFSW controls for the phone work with your Kenwood? As I just tried pressing the phone button on the steering wheel and nothing happens. With the standard unit pressing the phone symbol activated the phone controls.

All the buttons work except the phone one but as I haven't removed the factory bluetooth module yet it still operates this. Once I remove the factory Bluetooth I'll see if the button works. The stereo does have a learning steering wheel button feature but I'm not sure how that works as all mine worked straight away.

Cheers @Polzeylad and @reserves for the info.
I'm a little disappointed now with this Kenwood as I thought as it's a VW approved unit all the functions should be avilable. Then again, I should of known if it's associated wilth VW it probably won't know it's arse from its elbow when it comes to accessories and options.
I'll have another play with the mic settings and if no joy it will be a call to the converter Monday.

All the buttons work except the phone one but as I haven't removed the factory bluetooth module yet it still operates this. Once I remove the factory Bluetooth I'll see if the button works. The stereo does have a learning steering wheel button feature but I'm not sure how that works as all mine worked straight away.
Hi, try removing your factory Bluetooth module as this may be interfering with Kenwood stopping mic from working, maybe worth a try as I seem to recall a few years ago had this problem at work with a golf

Hi, try removing your factory Bluetooth module as this may be interfering with Kenwood stopping mic from working, maybe worth a try as I seem to recall a few years ago had this problem at work with a golf
What's making me now suspect the mic is that it still does not work when Bluetooth is off and I'm connected via USB with CarPlay.

@reserves have you got front parking sensors? If so do they automatically come up on the screen when the sensors are activated as mine don't. I have to go to main menu and select parking camera then it eventually comes up. I've worked out how to get the rear camera to automatically come up when in reverse but not the front sensors.

Chances are the Mic cable has come out at the back of the new stereo, very easy for this to happen as it is pushed back in, it is a bit tight behind !

Chances are the Mic cable has come out at the back of the new stereo, very easy for this to happen as it is pushed back in, it is a bit tight behind !
Just reading the manual (that's right a male reading a manual, probably first time) I have found that the "Mute your voice" graphic has a red line through it all the time to indicate it's muted. Tapping it does nothing so I wonder if this is a indication that the cable is out or the mic is screwed.

I don't have the mic issue, I was just replying as my 'Phone' button on my MFSW still operates the factory phone as expected until I unplug it.

Everything is working as expected on my install.

Back