New Kenwood DNX516DABS Sat Nav, Any Good?

Right they've got the parking sensors to work, and the steering wheel controls, the dab works on the m25 but is useless in Sussex. Sat nav seems to take an age to find satellites in the morning 20 mins at times. I'm wondering if they haven't connected an aerial. What comes in the box? Can anyone tell me? I can then ask if it's had everything fitted it should have had.

Right they've got the parking sensors to work, and the steering wheel controls, the dab works on the m25 but is useless in Sussex. Sat nav seems to take an age to find satellites in the morning 20 mins at times. I'm wondering if they haven't connected an aerial. What comes in the box? Can anyone tell me? I can then ask if it's had everything fitted it should have had.
Sorry mate mine was all done for me as part of my conversion. I can actually see my aerial on the windscreen on the passenger side.
Normally it doesn't take long to find satellites except yesterday morning where it took about 10 mins so ill keep an eye on it.

the dab works on the m25 but is useless in Sussex
Hi @Rik the DAB reception on the A27 is particularly crap as I've found out in recent weeks. However, I had my Alpine unit rebooted (it needs to be setup correctly from the get go or reception of both DAB and GPS is appalling) recently and at least the GPS is working better now. It is a pain to jump between FM and DAB on the Sussex coast but a regular necessity on the A259 near Hastings!

Good luck sorting it out :)

Sorry mate mine was all done for me as part of my conversion. I can actually see my aerial on the windscreen on the passenger side.
Normally it doesn't take long to find satellites except yesterday morning where it took about 10 mins so ill keep an eye on it.

@Twoguns you've actually confirmed what I thought that there is meant to be an aerial. My t4 has an infotainment system in it I put in myself and it has an aerial that I mounted on the dashboard as per the instructions. When I go back in I'll be asking where they've hidden the bloody thing.

Hi @Rik the DAB reception on the A27 is particularly crap as I've found out in recent weeks. However, I had my Alpine unit rebooted (it needs to be setup correctly from the get go or reception of both DAB and GPS is appalling) recently and at least the GPS is working better now. It is a pain to jump between FM and DAB on the Sussex coast but a regular necessity on the A259 near Hastings!

Thanks @Jules it did work markedly better yesterday outside of Sussex. Hopefully it's using the same aerial as the gps so once I get that where it needs to be well see an improvement.

@Jules i live in Hastings and the A259 is a pain for picking up reception

Guys!!!!!! I would stay clear of this unit as my second unit that replaced the original one has had the same "Start Up Error" and no longer works. This is two units that have failed in less than two months.

Conversion company has agreed with me that its not fit for purpose and will replace it with possibility a Pineer or Alpine.

Jesus, I'm glad I read this post.. Sorry to hear of your massive PITA Twoguns.. I'm upgrading my unit and now know which to definitely avoid..

Jesus, I'm glad I read this post.. Sorry to hear of your massive PITA Twoguns.. I'm upgrading my unit and now know which to definitely avoid..
Don't blame you, and too top today off. I had my Sixth Engine Management light come on in the same journey as this unit packing in so I'm pretty pi**** off with this van/conversion to be honest.

Yeah - I've read your posts. I agree you've had a nightmare with yours. It's clear you're due some good luck with it.

Guys!!!!!! I would stay clear of this unit as my second unit that replaced the original one has had the same "Start Up Error" and no longer works. This is two units that have failed in less than two months.

Conversion company has agreed with me that its not fit for purpose and will replace it with possibility a Pineer or Alpine.

Go for the Pioneer F88DAB it's a great unit.

Go for the Pioneer F88DAB it's a great unit.
Been on the phone to @Absolut5, first off what a nice knowledgeable guy and he's convinced me that the Pioneer is the way to go. So once I get my van back from the dealer and as long as the Engine Management light stays off longer than five mins I'll pop down and get him to swap the Kenwood for the Pioneer.

Been on the phone to @Absolut5, first off what a nice knowledgeable guy and he's convinced me that the Pioneer is the way to go. So once I get my van back from the dealer and as long as the Engine Management light stays off longer than five mins I'll pop down and get him to swap the Kenwood for the Pioneer.

Jason? Yeah, he's a great guy, he loves the F88DAB, that's the reason I got one. They really know their stuff with T5/ T6

Jason? Yeah, he's a great guy, he loves the F88DAB, that's the reason I got one. They really know their stuff with T5/ T6
I thought you had the Kenwood? Have you changed it for the Pioneer? If so did you have snags with the Kenwood.

I thought you had the Kenwood? Have you changed it for the Pioneer? If so did you have snags with the Kenwood.

I have the Kenwood in the T5, Pioneer in my Golf, I'm probably going to move the Pioneer into the T5 at some point.

The Kenwood just isn't as well thought out and doesn't sound as good.

I have the Kenwood in the T5, Pioneer in my Golf, I'm probably going to move the Pioneer into the T5 at some point.

The Kenwood just isn't as well thought out and doesn't sound as good.
So the Pioneer in your opinion is better than the Kenwood too.

So the Pioneer in your opinion is better than the Kenwood too.

The Pioneer is a better unit without a doubt, however aesthetically the Kenwood is that it's made to fit the T5 / T6 so in that respect looks 'factory' which is why I tried it out, it also displays Navigation on the dash which is rare for an aftermarket unit.

I'm not a fan of the sticky out buttons on the Pioneer, would have preferred a cleaner look

picture.jpg

The Pioneer is a better unit without a doubt, however aesthetically the Kenwood is that it's made to fit the T5 / T6 so in that respect looks 'factory' which is why I tried it out, it also displays Navigation on the dash which is rare for an aftermarket unit.

I'm not a fan of the sticky out buttons on the Pioneer, would have preferred a cleaner look

picture.jpg
On the plus side the buttons are programmable made mine red like in your pic to match the rest of the controls in my Suzuki fitted with the Pioneer F88dab

Back