My T6 is pulling to the left (RHD)

One thing to consider here.

All steering systems are designed to return to the centre when you let go of the wheel.

If the steering wheel was put on the steering rack during production and the rack was somehow not in the central position, when the van is then built and the tracking set, it will be set with the steering wheel straight but the steering rack not in the central position, so when you let go of the steering wheel, what might be mistaken for it pulling in one direction, might just be the steering rack trying return to its central position.

I could be wrong as it may be castor angle that solely returns the wheels to straight.

Do you notice that, when the van pulls to the left, that the wheel keeps turning, or just turns a tiny amount and then stops turning?.

If the above is the case, you could try noting how much the steering wheel is out, and then take it to be tracked but set the wheel to the out of straight position noted during the tracking.

It seems that if my theory is correct, and the steering wheel is out, then as you drive, you are constantly ,'fighting', the steerings desire to want to drive straight.

I'm basically saying that if you had a wide enough road and drove with no hands on the steering wheel and it stayed in the same out of straight position, then if you just re-tracked the wheels to drive straight,(leaving the steering wheel in it out of straight position), then the steering shouldn't want to pull to one side.

Last edited:
In my experience, it's the castor angle that returns the front wheels to the straight ahead position.
The steering wheel is straight ahead when driving, but using a small amount of input to keep it there. When released it turns to the left as the second pic, but occasionally when braking it carries on turning left as the 3rd pic. This also happens in reverse as well.
It's also easily affected by road camber and bumps.

4A10A748-DF69-436A-9145-1EB9D0B8A0EF.jpegA34DA39C-EAC5-484C-B56F-42DF48F5EC28.jpegC8219852-8E15-46F4-9F4D-DEBBD46A3DA4.jpeg

These pics were taken on my drive, just in case you're wondering.

In my experience, it's the castor angle that returns the front wheels to the straight ahead position.
The steering wheel is straight ahead when driving, but using a small amount of input to keep it there. When released it turns to the left as the second pic, but occasionally when braking it carries on turning left as the 3rd pic. This also happens in reverse as well.
It's also easily affected by road camber and bumps.

View attachment 80934View attachment 80935View attachment 80936

These pics were taken on my drive, just in case you're wondering.
If I was experiencing your issue I would wind out the nearside track rod 5 or six turns and wind in the offside track rod the same amount and see what happens.

Technically the wheels will still be tracked correctly and the steering wheel will be off to the left slightly.

This is only what I would do as I like to try everything possible if I've got an annoying fault.

It may be even simpler.
Just check how many threads are showing on both track rod arms.

Be interesting if theres more showing in the offside than the nearside.

To be honest, it's not my problem to rectify. The dealer has had the vehicle multiple times to sort the issue under warranty but not managed anything other than to annoy me.
I'm about to get VWFS UK involved, and see what reaction that achieves.

To be honest, it's not my problem to rectify. The dealer has had the vehicle multiple times to sort the issue under warranty but not managed anything other than to annoy me.
I'm about to get VWFS UK involved, and see what reaction that achieves.

I hear you.

Its frustrating and disappointing enough that you have a clear problem with a new vehicle, but that is made so much worse by the main dealers lack of effort/expertise to rectify it.

You just want your van to drive straight,.
Not a big ask really.

im having similar issues @sparkywig - if you can find out how to get in contact with them properly, i would like to know how. Cant find a contact form or email...
I've had my van in for a clunk 3 times - im sure i know what it is but the technician says its fine.
My dads has the same pulling problem as yours, but its a sportline (with the suspension to boot..) - can i ask if you had any other issues with your van before rplacement of th sub frame? Any clunks under heavy ish braking etc?

Mine had the Sportline lowering springs fitted from the dealer, and there are no other running gear issues.
After further questioning the subframe hasn't been replaced, but realigned. I'm going back tomorrow to see a manager.

Do please let me know how it goes.
I get a mixed bag of reviews about heritage in bristol..
I've complained of a clunking several times.. no fault found. but its there... im not an idiot. i have acess to a ramp and have been offered several mechanics jobs over the years... I got a good idea as to what it is but...
My dads sportline is doing exactly the same as yours though. Me and the guys have been scratiching our heads a little but im tempted to try some of the easy things like just counting threads on the track rods before going down a heavy route of sub frame alingment... unfortunately, i do a better job than some who have been doing the job for a long time. Just because youve been doing job for 20 years doesnt mean to say that you have been doing it well........
You wouldnt think its the sub frame because you know, thats something thats not supposed to move and be SET UP RIGHT OUT OF THE FACTORY.... or at least CHECKED once all suspension work is completed.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, as per my post, if the technician is not fully competent then the job will always be sub standard. alas, sometimes, they are told to do things in a specific manner due to managerial stuff.
A student is only as good as his teacher, until the student can teach the teacher... or something like that.

Interesting topic this one, I’ve had exactly the same issue with pulling to the left. After an alignment check it showed up the castor was in the red but the rest was all ok.
VW told me that they wouldn’t do anything with it as is put on different wheels that were 8.5 not 8J as original.
last week I finally changed the wheels and put on some t6 sportline’s. Immediately it improved the drive. Still pulls to the left just a touch, but I couldn’t believe the difference it’s made.
I was planning on going in for a full alignment next and then if it’s not improved try and take it further down the warranty route.

Have you had any further luck with yours?

No, still pulls to the left but not quite as bad. VWUK say that they can't get involved at this stage.
Not sure what to do next, maybe have a full alignment done where they know what they're doing. Any recommendations in the Bristol area?

Hey, been very, very very busy...
Had my velle realigned by my usual guys. Improved much.
The sportline.. well, I had they say in heritage that the sub frame is misaligned without any sort of quibble. Having it back in a month to sort it... said everything was just wrong. Camber, castor.. all wrong. Approved tyres and wheels as well...
I'm tempted to put my velle in on with their aligned And see what they say..

I take my clunking issue back as well.
It has improved with adaption on gearbox and a chap I trust and I had a chat about it all and he explained that the clunk I was getting was normal as well.
We talked about it further (in nerd car terms Involving angle input, sway, toe, thrust and various other stuff for 15mins..) and it's just how vw have set it up. It's not harmful, just too soft for my liking, but, it makes sense for making a slightly more cushy ride..

The gearbox wasnt disengaging quick enough for my driving and not engaging in the right fashion and along with my very cat like braking equals a slight control arm clunk due to how soft the rubber is.
He also said he thinks they arnt tough enough either and replaces them with some polys - said it's a 5 to 6 thing.. I believe him fully.
I'd say I feel stupid but I dont personally quite agree with the set up but understand and see why it has been done.

I to have purchased a 2018 T6 DSG 150 KOMBI with 10,000 on the clock and guess what it pulls to the left and guess what the dealer has come straight out with the same bull**** replies I've seen posted in this thread. I insisted on them tracking it and apparently it is not out (it was digital) suggests to me maybe suspension springs or steering. I'm a fighter and due back at the dealer on Friday and will take it up with them. I also have VW UK involved. I agree with previous post, the dealers do bugger all before selling vehicles on. Its a shame. I'll keep you posted on my final outcome
Hi ha e resolve the issue with the pulling left? I have bought 69 plate with 2000 miles and have the same problem, already was at the VW dealer had new tires fitted had tracking done today the Master technician did 2 times and still it pulls to the left. I had transporters and Caravel never had experience this issue even with 200k on clock. Please let me know. Thanks

When people say their vehicles pull to one side I always want to know if this is during steering input as in holding the wheel straight ahead as this can be totally different to actual vehicle wheel alignment being the steering wheel can be out of align to the road wheels, vehicles will naturally track straight with no steering input due to having castor, if pulling occurs it’s normally rear alignment that causes this
I know it’s hard to get your head round
Obviously having correct wheel alignment is a must to give correct handling characteristics and correct and even tyre wear
Personally any garage not using four wheel alignment systems nowadays in my opinion should not be touching wheel alignment old style Dunlop tracking gauges should be hung on a harvesters wall with all the other shit old tools

Also critical that all ball joints and bushes in the steering and suspension are in good serviceable condition otherwise having wheel alignment is pointless exercise

Back