My AutoTerm Night-Heater diesel connection

After fixing white plastic fuel pipe from this t-connector to the return hose it needs to be run over to diesel heater on driver's side. It would go above the exhaust heat shield. Is this safe? I mean hopefully the pipe won't be melted or deteriorate over time with heat from exhaust pipe below.
I'm thinking of threading the white diesel heater fuel pipe into a rubber fuel line hose for extra protection.
Why go above the exhaust? Just go down along and up, that way it is nowhere near the exhaust.

Also, as said above, there is a non-return valve in the return on the T5, T6 and T6.1 pumps which means that the return line method should not be used on these pumps.

The return pipe connects to a plastic tube about 7cm long on my 2015 T6.

Problem is, there's a non return valve built it. This must mean the heater draws fuel from the vehicle fuel filter. This won't last too long.Mine works

Exactly what I did - it was absolutely fine when inspected a year later. The outer pipe is clipped to the chassis though.

Please be aware of my previous posts regarding use of the return pipe to supply the heater. There is a non-return valve built into the fuel 'pick up' in the tank, on the return pipe. This will make the use of the return pipe as a fuel supply to the heater very unreliable.
I've never had any issues

Mine worked too, but became unreliable, especially when used for a longer spell.

As discussed with 'oldiebut goodie', perhaps the low draw of a diesel heater means fuel can, at times, get past a mechanical one way valve.

I hope it continues to work fine for you. Fitting a pick up tube is relatively easy, should you need to take that route in future.

Worth remembering to run the heater for a while once a month or so. The only issue I've had with mine (fitted with stand pipe in the 'normal way') is that if it hasn't been used for a while, it doesn't start straight away due to fuel supply - I assume due to air bubbles forming veeeerrrrrry slooooowly over time.

Why go above the exhaust? Just go down along and up, that way it is nowhere near the exhaust.

Also, as said above, there is a non-return valve in the return on the T5, T6 and T6.1 pumps which means that the return line method should not be used on these pumps.
Here was me thinking I didn’t Have to disconnect the adblue and drop the tank after all. Currently, I have a small diesel tank inside the campervan That supplies the diesel heater. Looks like that is staying for the time being.

Exactly what I did - it was absolutely fine when inspected a year later. The outer pipe is clipped to the chassis though.

Please be aware of my previous posts regarding use of the return pipe to supply the heater. There is a non-return valve built into the fuel 'pick up' in the tank, on the return pipe. This will make the use of the return pipe as a fuel supply to the heater very unreliable.
I was thinking that I didn,t have to drop tank. I,ll be sticking to the small tank inside my van for the time-being

I was thinking that I didn,t have to drop tank. I,ll be sticking to the small tank inside my van for the time-being
It really isn't a major job. I avoided it, presuming it would be a long drawn out process - it's a couple of hours at most.

Just make sure you nearly empty the tank ( 0 miles range worked fine for me), and watch a video or two of the job before you start.

The pickup tube was about £4 on eBay, and is very well made in stainless steel.

It really isn't a major job. I avoided it, presuming it would be a long drawn out process - it's a couple of hours at most.

Just make sure you nearly empty the tank ( 0 miles range worked fine for me), and watch a video or two of the job before you start.

The pickup tube was about £4 on eBay, and is very well made in stainless steel.
A job for the first warmer day in Spring I think :)

on the T5.1 is it the blue pipe that is the return ?
there is 2 pipes just before the tank ,hopefully drop the T in this location
Thanks
Yes, it's the blue pipe.

Please read previous posts - the built in non-return valve will very likely cause issues when drawing fuel this way.
Much better to lower the tank, and install a separate pick up tube.

Thanks for the reply
I only want to do this at the moment as I have a full tank 80 Ltrs and want to use the heater on a stop over soon.
It’s only a temporary fix until I can empty the tank and drop it down.
I already have the pipe for a permanent solution
Would this work as a one off fix until can do it properly?
Just don’t want a tank of diesel in the van but if it will not work I will have to do it

Thanks for the reply
I only want to do this at the moment as I have a full tank 80 Ltrs and want to use the heater on a stop over soon.
It’s only a temporary fix until I can empty the tank and drop it down.
I already have the pipe for a permanent solution
Would this work as a one off fix until can do it properly?
Just don’t want a tank of diesel in the van but if it will not work I will have to do it
Yes, it will work as a temporary solution. My heater would draw fuel for a while, but it ran dry after varying amount of time. Starting the engine would reinstate the supply again, but the pump would have to be primed again!!

Great thanks for getting back to me
At least it will be a temporary solution and keep us warm

Yes, it will work as a temporary solution. My heater would draw fuel for a while, but it ran dry after varying amount of time. Starting the engine would reinstate the supply again, but the pump would have to be primed again!!
I believe it's only suitable for T6 adblue van's, I've had no issues with mine.

How many hours are you running the heater for each time is more relevant. Maybe you are not using up all the fuel in the return system.
Or maybe you have a faulty non-return valve?

Back