Drilling for diesel heater fuel pipe.

Kevgold45

Hi everyone hope you can help! I installed a Chinese diesel heater under the drivers seat of my 2016 T6 last year and just ran it of a separate fuel tank. I wanting now to drop the fuel tank and connect it straight to the tank but was wondering where is the best place to drill for the fuel line? Photos would be brilliant if possible. Also how easy is it to drop the fuel tank ? Thanks again

Do you mean drill into the fuel tank or the end under the seat? If u are talking about the fuel tank, just use a stand pipe and drill through the sender unit.

Sorry my fault i meant do i feed the fuel pipe under the van on the outside or bring it in the van and drill the floor near the tank. thanks

Usually you route the fuel pipe under the van, to meet the heater. If you have the heater inside the van, the combustion air, exhaust, and the fuel pipe would all go through the mounting plate and come out under the floor.

Not that I enjoy helping a crap Chinese heater install.

Hard to tell if you have mounted the heater through the floor on the driver's side or not with the talk of diesel pipe inside the van. Assuming that it has been installed safely you just run the fuel line across under the van to the tank.
Drilling instructions in the Webasto manual. Also the fuel line routing instructions.

stand.JPG

Under an hour to drop the tank, remove the ad-blue filler completely;

20210306_121947.jpg

Drop the tank from below. Remember to try and have the tank low on fuel before attempting this;
20210306_122812.jpg

Remove sender, drill and fit pickup as @oldiebut goodie posted above;
20210306_125414.jpg

Route the pickup fuel pipe in the recess clips in the top of the tank. Re-assemble;

20210306_132646.jpg

Remember to cut the pick up a couple of inches above the bottom of the white plastic pickup which is spring loaded against the bottom of the tank. You don't want the heater draining your main fuel tank!

Total time to do, including ramps, jacking up, tea breaks, etc was around 3 hours.

View attachment 143271

Drop the tank from below. Remember to try and have the tank low on fuel before attempting this;
View attachment 143272

View attachment 143273

Route the pickup fuel pipe in the recess clips in the top of the tank. Re-assemble;

View attachment 143274

Remember to cut the pick up a couple of inches above the bottom of the white plastic pickup which is spring loaded against the bottom of the tank. You don't want the heater draining your main fuel tank!

Total time to do, including ramps, jacking up, tea breaks, etc was around 3 hours.
That's is awesome, thanks so much for the help and pics, I can't wait to do it at the weekend

Hard to tell if you have mounted the heater through the floor on the driver's side or not with the talk of diesel pipe inside the van. Assuming that it has been installed safely you just run the fuel line across under the van to the tank.
Drilling instructions in the Webasto manual. Also the fuel line routing instructions.

View attachment 137566
Cheers for the help, much appreciated

Doing all that work is one way, but a much easier way is to tap into the existing fuel line which is what I did. See here.

View attachment 143271

I’m needing to do this for floor rail fittings, and a diesel heater. Is there a tip for avoiding getting covered in ad-blue? Or do you just catch it in a container and pour it back afterwards? Mine is a new van so it’s full of adblue.

I’m needing to do this for floor rail fittings, and a diesel heater. Is there a tip for avoiding getting covered in ad-blue? Or do you just catch it in a container and pour it back afterwards? Mine is a new van so it’s full of adblue.
The ad blue isnt taken out, just unhook the filler cap end behind the flap and then drop the main fuel tank. When you remove the fuel sender unit, just allow the diesel to run off back in the tank.

View attachment 137566
'Not that I enjoy helping a crap Chinese heater install.':):):):)

On 6.1 vans you can get an inline coneector which means you dont have to remove the tank or drill the tank, from Eberspacher:thumbsup:

I have this install, on Saturday. I have both the dip pipe into the tank and a T piece. I was unsure how well the fuel feed would work pulling the fuel through the existing pipe rather than direct from the tank. Those who have taken off the fuel pipe using a T, have you had any issues? I'm unsure about introducing air into the system.
Thanks

On 6.1 vans you can get an inline coneector which means you dont have to remove the tank or drill the tank, from Eberspacher:thumbsup:
I had seen these, and I am tempted. However I also read (on this forum) that there is a non-return valve which means that connection only runs until the fuel lines above it are empty, rather than drawing from the tank. Or is it different on the 6.1?

Last edited:
Both the T5 and the T6 have the non-return valve and I don't see that the T6.1 would be any different. As you are then drawing the fuel back from the engine there is a finite amount that you can use - if you want to run the heater for extended periods you are going to run out of juice as has been reported. Obviously the person that first tried this return line usage never tested for long periods. ( I can vouch for the fact that the valve in a T5 pump return does prevent fuel being drawn from the tank - I tested one )
Therefore you can only use a Tee-piece if you already have a fuel line for a factory coolant heater in place - you cannot use the pressurized line from the pump to the engine.

Thanks @oldiebut goodie this is great info. I have a Shuttle with a secondary coolant heater installed.
It does bug me that with the secondary heater someone has not figured out a cheap and simple process to just get that secondary heater working to blow air through the van's vents.

The problem with the coolant heater is that it is firstly run from the vehicle battery and secondly it is too powerful for solely heating the interior - it is a 5Kw heater.

The T piece is supplied form Webasto (and Eberspacher) and we have a tech document stating how to fit in the return line. I have not tested to check if it has a non return valve, but the couple we have used have been fine, (will check on the next T6 we do) We do tend to use stand pipes however rather than the T piece. Cheers

Back