Diesel fuel leak- help much appreciated

manicism

VIP Member
Have noticed as the ground is wet some rainbow patches following the route I take to park into my space.

On inspection underneath the t-piece and about 15cm up each pipe seems to be covered in diesel.

Attached a few images. Is how the night heater been teed normal? Seems odd to just stick a smaller pipe into a bigger pipe and rely on compression when both pipes are soft.

Not obvious on the T where the leak is coming from.

Trying to work out if this is an issue for my converter or VW.

Helpfully, the under tray seems to have gone in the recent standing water, didn’t know that until I looked under this morning. Any thoughts on part number/where to get this for T6.1 swb DSG? Thought it would be straight forward to find online.

IMG_0877.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg

IMG_0879.jpeg

Standard heater fuel line fitting - they will never leak if done correctly with the correct sized pipe and rubbers.
I can't work out what they have teed into though - this is not the recommended method of fitting for our vans (Neither in the return nor in the engine feed) The tank needs dropping and the correct standpipe fitting in the tank pump/sender unit.
They have either teed into the engine feed which is a no-no as it is pressurized or they have teed into the return which has a non-return valve in. Neither can be used.

Trying to work out if this is an issue for my converter or VW.

I’d say there is zero chance of VW taking any responsibility for an item that has been modified, plus it’ll be weeks before they’ll look at it anyway.
Who is the converter? Maybe others with the same conversion have the same issue.

Standard heater fuel line fitting - they will never leak if done correctly with the correct sized pipe and rubbers.
I can't work out what they have teed into though - this is not the recommended method of fitting for our vans (Neither in the return nor in the engine feed) The tank needs dropping and the correct standpipe fitting in the tank pump/sender unit.
They have either teed into the engine feed which is a no-no as it is pressurized or they have teed into the return which has a non-return valve in. Neither can be used.

Thanks @oldiebut goodie think you have confirmed that the smaller gauge white/clear pipe is the supply the heater which is in the direction it is heading. I just wasn’t sure. And that this not normal part of the VW fuel system. I also assumed normal to use its on lift stand pipe direct from tank.

Last edited:
I’d say there is zero chance of VW taking any responsibility for an item that has been modified, plus it’ll be weeks before they’ll look at it anyway.
Who is the converter? Maybe others with the same conversion have the same issue.

Cheers @DXX dont necessarily want to name converter at this stage as everything else is very good and want to give them a chance to correct/fix. But they are not small and complete 2/3 conversations per week. So can’t imagine they are installing wrong, as would see a lot of issues.

I am not convinced the leak is coming from any of the joints as all joints are soaked and further up against gravity. The heater install could be a red herring.

The black fuel line is the feed which supplies the engine of fuel. It appears they have unplugged the connector and plugged in a 'T'. if this is the case, it should be fully reversable.

I guess they tap in here as then they dont have to drop the tank, which makes the heater install a load quicker, the problem is, as there is a pump in the tank its going to have a hard time sucking fuel. IF VW were installing a factory heater, they would have a 3rd fuel line from the tank, specifically for it. The correct way to retrofit a heater is to drop the tank, remove the sender unit drill a hole in it and fit a new pickup pipe, then feed the diesel heater from there.

The 'T' that have fitted may be the cause of the diesel leak, however there are several other reasons you could have diesel over your tank from faulty filler necks to breathers etc.

If they have used the engine feed you will mess up your heater - it will deliver far too much fuel or stop the heater fuel pump whilst the engine is running. Whatever they have done is a failure unless you already have a coolant heater and they have used the feed for that to tee from.

T6 heater should have its fuel feed from an individual connection on the tank sender unit not teed to any other pipe UNLESS you already have the auxiliary water heater already fitted that it can be teed to the feed for that.

Back