My AutoTerm Night-Heater diesel connection

Goldy

VIP Member
I decided to go for an autoterm diesel heater but wasn't looking forward to dropping the diesel tank. Someone suggested I could use a T-piece connected to the return pipe between the tank and adblue as the picture. It was so easy to fit the hardest part was attaching the rubber tube. Sofar everything seems to be working fine.aviary-image-1622059726500.jpeg
Screenshot_20210527-213516_Photos.jpg

I`m quite sure you`re not supposed to fit the fuel pipe in that way. It is supposed to be to the supplied stand pipe which is fitted to the tank sender unit. Check out Autoterm instructions.

The idea came from someone Autoterm Facebook page, they don't us them because they find it easier to drop the tank whilst on ramps. Plus the stand pipe is supplied with the kit, whilst the T-piece you have to purchase separately.

From the photo it looks like a very tight bend radius in the short length of black fuel hose. The hose will deteriorate with age and the sharp bend will be the weak point.

Nothing wrong with fitting in the return, you do not have to use a stand pipe - the only possible problem is if the return does not go sufficiently deep enough into the tank to draw on liquid rather than air. No one has yet determined exactly how far it goes down on our vans that I have heard of to date.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the tight bend on the hose - OEM preformed hose as supplied by Webasto and others.

Nothing wrong with fitting in the return, you do not have to use a stand pipe - the only possible problem is if the return does not go sufficiently deep enough into the tank to draw on liquid rather than air. No one has yet determined exactly how far it goes down on our vans that I have heard of to date.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the tight bend on the hose - OEM preformed hose as supplied by Webasto and others.
The fuel gauge was just above a quarter tank and it worked fine.

That looks like a great idea
Where did you get this from ?On the website the one you have shown says it’s for a Vauxhall ?
Can you use a normal plastic T or does it need to be like shown
Thanks
John

£15!!!!! They are having a larf for a £3 item.o_O
Plenty on Ebay. eg 7.89 ID6 Female Car Fuel Line Hose Quick Release Connector Bundy Tee Fitting | eBay You do have to soften , lubricate and stretch the rubber over the spigot if you are using 4mm fuel line and the correct rubber for it. It is a little easier if you are using 5mm and the correct rubber.
It was a pain getting the rubber over the tube, Eberspacher do one with two inside diameters to accommodate this.

Thanks all
I would assume that the fitting is the same on my T5.1 as it is on my T6 ?
Hopefully I will get around to fitting my (chinese ) heter this year.
Going to fit it to the underneath of the van as OEM fitting.

You can get a step-down joiner which makes it easier and doesn't put undue stress on the rubber. I have had to use them occasionally:
IMG_1721.JPG

From the photo it looks like a very tight bend radius in the short length of black fuel hose. The hose will deteriorate with age and the sharp bend will be the weak point.
That's not a tight radius

Thanks all
I would assume that the fitting is the same on my T5.1 as it is on my T6 ?
Hopefully I will get around to fitting my (chinese ) heter this year.
Going to fit it to the underneath of the van as OEM
Not sure it the Chinese heater pump would cope with the pressure

What pressure? - there should be no pressure to worry about. If there is positive pressure in any line that is teed off you cannot use it, the pressure in a return line is negligible for this purpose unless there has been a restriction placed in it after the tee.

Have you looked underneath yet to find it?

"Yes but not sure it works with vans without adblue"
Adblue makes no difference to the diesel return line.

Back