Mud Flaps for tailgate vans... recommendations??

Got after markets.. Not happy with the fit of the rear, planning on trying some others.. I will post where I got these from.. They look good, and do the job, but not up to my quality for fitment... Hate the OEM rear ones.. Wtf fitting 1/2 way along rear bumper.. That's pants!

I very much agree with the above. I bought some rubber sheet which I cut to proper size. In the rear I had to give them a special cut to make them fit well and flat inside wheel well (see picture). For inner fixing point in rear there is a bolt at right spot, just made a L-shape fixture for the flap (in picture at two inner screws).

In front nothing special. Just made sure that there is enough space behind the plastic mudguard at fixing points.

As they are closer to the wheel as OEM there is slight risk that when backing up they get under the wheel (mainly because of snow up here). Because of that I used small screws (5x16mm) to fix them into plastic mudguard in wheel well. The idea to use small screws (without a nut on the other side) is that they will rip off relatively easily if the flaps get stuck under wheel. Well, never happened with my previous one or this one either.

Especially proud I am of the front ones. They prevent sand blast to lower front corner of the front door, and the front doorway stays free of dirt. The four fixing screws make the flap follow curve of wheel arc. When the door is closed they are almost unnoticeable – I’m happy with these. Actually with these OEM tyres the flaps could be narrower, these were “designed” for my winter which come further out by 20 mm.

The length of the flaps is a compromise... and matter of taste, of course.

Of course they would look better with a T6Forum-label on them… :)

1) Rear - right, 2) Front - right, 3) Front - right - door open
Mud flap rear_a.jpg Mud flap front_a.jpg Mud flap front_b.jpg

The dealer fit rear ones, can look a bit 'dealer fit'!! You can see the screws on them - the front mudflaps are the same, whether dealer or factory fit. You can order the factory spec rear ones and fit them, but you need to remove the bumper to fit, as they screw on from behind. They do look a lot better when fitted though.

Last edited:
The dealer fit rear ones, can look a but 'dealer fit'!! You can see the screws on them - the front mudflaps are the same, whether dealer or factory fit. You can order the factory spec rear ones and fit them, but you need to remove the bumper to fit, as they screw on from behind. They do look a lot better when fitted though.

Thanks, so you are saying the factory rears look better as they have no screws showing?

Last edited:
I had factory front and rear on my t5, the front is fine but the rear are screwed directly into the plastic bumper. I took them off while fitting a tow bar and realised I could be in trouble if the screws were over tightened or the flap was bent by a curb or something because once screws pull through then you can't tighten them again. Also you end up with a dirty bumper up to the flap then a relatively clean one after. only fitted fronts to my t6.

Quick question please - are T5 & T6 rear bumpers basically the same?
I ask because I have bought a pair of rear mudflaps from veedubtransporters but the packing is clearly marked as 'T5'.
TIA :thumbsup:

Yeah I have them, rears aren't that great a fit.. See their fitting video, but if you do fit them, soak first in hot water.. I used existing wheel arch screws (torx) to fit mine..

I think they help, living down a gravel road vehicles quickly get splattered, van got dirtier without them than it does with them. Doesn't mean there is no splatter at all just less!

I have some aftermarket flaps fitted they do help a little, but they don't require any holes drilling in the paintwork or adhesive. They are properly shaped to fit too.

I had factory fit mud flaps all round on my T5, one of the front ones came of when the van got stuck in mud so i removed both fronts; then following somebody running into the back of my van, the body shop forgot to fit the rears when they changed the bumper, so in the end I had no mud flaps.
I honestly could not tell the difference in terms of dirt on the van, so I didn't bother with them on the T6, it was about the only option I haven't got:)

Last edited:
Looks good. Are these fitted to a tailgate van, or barn doors? Apparently there's a difference in bumper design between the two. Thanks

Back