MPG - Shuttle 102PS

Hi everyone, bit of advice please.

A few months ago I bought a 68 plate diesel Shuttle, 32,000 miles with FSH. I’ve had it remapped by Pendle tuning, it was 102 bhp, now 164. It has 20” alloys.

We are only managing around 24.1 mpg. Most of the driving is local - short runs with the engine not getting up to temp but even on a recent camping trip to Edinburgh, it still stayed the same. We were fully laden (me, wife, 3 kids, roof box) and on the 200 mile round trip, it was still on 24.1.

I have reset the trip and it’s crept back to 24.1.

I had a 66 plate 150bhp T6 Kombi a few years back as a work van and flogged the life out of it and managed to get late 30’s / early 40’s.

Is this all I should expect from the Shuttle?
@1975T

Stupid question but have you got it on trip 1? If you're on trip 2 and it hasn't reset for a long time it will not change much as the average is over however long since it was reset (or 100 hours I think). Trip 1 is each journey + about 2 hours after engine switched off.

Hi everyone, bit of advice please.

A few months ago I bought a 68 plate diesel Shuttle, 32,000 miles with FSH. I’ve had it remapped by Pendle tuning, it was 102 bhp, now 164. It has 20” alloys.

We are only managing around 24.1 mpg. Most of the driving is local - short runs with the engine not getting up to temp but even on a recent camping trip to Edinburgh, it still stayed the same. We were fully laden (me, wife, 3 kids, roof box) and on the 200 mile round trip, it was still on 24.1.

I have reset the trip and it’s crept back to 24.1.

I had a 66 plate 150bhp T6 Kombi a few years back as a work van and flogged the life out of it and managed to get late 30’s / early 40’s.

Is this all I should expect from the Shuttle?
With lots of short journeys and the engine regularly not getting up to temp, are you sure it's not a DPF regen issue? This can result in dire mpg figures.

Admittedly, it shouldn't be an issue on a 200 mile trip, but I drove a Passat home from southern France non-stop (except for the ferry bit, obvs!) and the very next day the DPF light came on. :rolleyes:

Brookfold 1 - I reset the trip about a week ago and over the course of that week the mpg was low initially and slowly crept back up to the 24.1 it was on before the reset which makes me wonder if it is correct or of it just gets stuck on the same figure?

Bav - apparently Pendle did a DPF clean before they did the remap (about a 1000 miles ago)? Can you explain DPF regen please?

Reactions: Bav
Can you explain DPF regen please?
The thread linked to by @Ads_Essex (and written by @Dellmassive) provides a an excellent explanation of DPF regens and associated issues - much better than I could provide. As you will see, the info from VW suggests that your use case (predominantly short journeys with the engine rarely getting up to temp) is not ideal for the DPF - hence why I mentioned it.

So I finally got round to working out the actual mpg. It turns out that the 24 mpg my T6 states it’s doing is actually around 35mpg based on a real world calculation. I’m much happier now at 35 mpg over 24 as fuel is expensive enough at the minute :thumbsup:

Reactions: CAB
So I finally got round to working out the actual mpg. It turns out that the 24 mpg my T6 states it’s doing is actually around 35mpg based on a real world calculation. I’m much happier now at 35 mpg over 24 as fuel is expensive enough at the minute :thumbsup:
Incredible that it’s so far off! If anything, my VW report higher mpg.

Back