50 mpg. FINALLY CRACKED IT!!

Also don't forget this is a brand new vehicle. Every new vehicle I have owned has taken 4 to 5 thousand miles to bed in before performance and mpg get somewhere near what I expected.

Pete
Bet that's it. Seem to remember ours was same when we got it.

Mpg has many variables,
We get better mpg when on flattish roads with little traffic to hold you up, tail winds, and driving at a steady speed around 60mph, motor up to operating temperature.
When driving on hilly roads, high speeds or into headwinds , motor not up to operating temperature, mpg will be nowhere near as high.
Because someone posts they got 50mpg it doesn't mean that they get it every trip, only when conditions were favorable. Don't forget a T6 van weighs between 2-3 Ton depending on load., campervan conversion etc.

Thanks Grainfoot, what is regeneration / how do you know its happening?
A regen is when the filter is cleaned of the soot it catches by burning it off. You may get a burning smell and increase in engine revs and noise.

Because someone posts they got 50mpg it doesn't mean that they get it every trip, only when conditions were favorable. Don't forget a T6 van weighs between 2-3 Ton depending on load., campervan conversion etetc
Absolutely, and won't/don't ever drive the way I did to get 50 mpg.

I still maintain that my fuel economy is disgraceful and usually averages 30mpg, which considering I don't over 60 mph, the van doesn't do short trips, and it's completely empty is a joke.

On this very thread there is the same van as mine with a heavy camper conversion which averages 37mpg!!

If I converted mine to a camper I'd be lucky to get 27mpg.

I'm in absolute T6 heaven now, as I NEVER zero the trip after filling up, and de-selected the mpg readout on the MFD.

I literally, have NO IDEA what its fuel economy is, I just drive it with a smile on my face, and put fuel in when it needs it.

I've done 20 odd thousand miles since it was new 5 years ago, so I'm hardly a big fuel user no matter what the mpg.

So, I saw this thread the other day, and today have done around a 100miles to the in laws and back. Steady driving there and back, not going above 60mph on mainly A roads and little town driving. I'm very happy about what the dash said, 150manual with a dtuk box fitted. 20220223_154617.jpg

Reactions: CAB
That display tells you the current consumption - go to page 2 for the overall consumption, that is more relevant.

Mine is a 102 5 speed gearbox and was doing 70 in cruise for 100 miles down the A1 averaging 26mpg which is pretty bad. Would be much better if the gearbox was 6 speed as the revs in 5th were at 2300. Once I drop the revs to 2k (just under 60mph) the MPG is nearer 37. I think it's impossible to average 50mpg in my van.

I drove from Scotland to Leeds via Bolton yesterday, doing 60 on the M74 & M6, M62. Most I managed to get was 41.5mpg. I think I'll have to go some to get above 45!

17 plate Shuttle LWB 150bhp auto.

Today heading into west London, roughly 100 miles each way. 204 dsg at 60mph on cruise, on the way in was just over 40mpg there was quite a head wind and some early rain, on the return journey I got 46mpg at 60, then 65 for the last 40 miles, with a dry road and some wind assistance. With the right conditions I’m sure I can eek 50mpg. 60mph isn’t for everyone I know, but it works for me, I like to arrive relaxed.

yeah but you've done 35 miles at 35mph, I could do that on tickover in 6th with my foot off the gas pedal.

yeah but you've done 35 miles at 35mph, I could do that on tickover in 6th with my foot off the gas pedal.
Yeah that’s the average speed but I didn’t drive at 35mph for 35 miles, it’s a mix of M25, traffic and town driving. If I could find a road that enables no stopping or traffic for 35 miles I am sure I could get better mpg

Mine is a 102 5 speed gearbox and was doing 70 in cruise for 100 miles down the A1 averaging 26mpg which is pretty bad. Would be much better if the gearbox was 6 speed as the revs in 5th were at 2300. Once I drop the revs to 2k (just under 60mph) the MPG is nearer 37. I think it's impossible to average 50mpg in my van.
That’s so odd. 102, 5speed here too. Normally get 38 calculated from a run. Had an indicated 52mpg over a 100 mile run yesterday, although that was 60mph most of the way.

Back