MPG 150 DSG

It's hardly getting warm on such short trips, so fuel consumption will be poor.

The fan running is it trying to do a regen. It's probably been trying to do one for a while and you stop it mid cycle each time. It need a good run to let the regen complete.

Oh OK that makes sense how do you know when it dose a regen our vauxhall insignia tells you to keep driving

Idle speed increases, the exhaust gets hot and stinks of hot brakes and the fans come on. The van doesn't tell you it's doing it, but if it smells hot and the fan is running after you've stopped, it will just try again next time.

I do do 6 miles a day for work 4 on a motorway at 70mph 2 on A road at 40mph getting 26 mpg on the trip computer . Is that normal? Also my fans seams to be on when I turn van off most journeys
Seems reasonable for that type of run this time of year.
Also, if fans are running it’s probably not completed a regen, a long run would help. 6 miles the van won’t be getting warm enough.

Last edited:
I do these sort of miles during the week for work at the moment same engine as yours average 29mpg but it is what it is try not to get to hung up about fuel end of the day I love the van and I need fuel to drive it

The fan running on when stopping is the give away. Basically it’s not finishing its regen hence eating fuel.

Going to take it for a run tomorrow let it do a regen but I guess it is what it is thanks for your help

i normally run circa 35-41mpg in a 150 manual

i filled up on saturday morning before driving from boston to whitby for a hardcore windy fishing trip

pushing the wind all the way ( 50mph +north / north west ), my mpg on since start dropped from 35 ish to just over 24mpg
reset for the run back south sunday morning with the wind dropping and from behind, mpg was up to 33 mpg

when you have the aerodynamic properties of a box of bricks, external elements seem to have a very adverse effect

With our 150 manual swb. Display averages 36-40 mpg. Not checked how that compares to real life recently. It does drop a lot when doing regen, down to 28/30 sometimes

I used to get really bent out of shape about my vans MPG, especially reading about all these guys getting late 30,s early 40,s whilst driving normally. (I got to 50mpg once but it was ridiculous painful). I am now in T6 heaven, as I never reset the trim, and have deactivated the average mpg on the MFD.
When the tank is empty, I just fill it up, and no more lamenting on whether I've used £10 worth of fuel more than the last tank. BLISS

I used to get really bent out of shape about my vans MPG, especially reading about all these guys getting late 30,s early 40,s whilst driving normally. (I got to 50mpg once but it was ridiculous painful). I am now in T6 heaven, as I never reset the trim, and have deactivated the average mpg on the MFD.
When the tank is empty, I just fill it up, and no more lamenting on whether I've used £10 worth of fuel more than the last tank. BLISS

I'm like that, life is too short to worry about it.

Get about 400 miles on a tank when plodding round town and I'm sure it'll be nearer 500 on a long trip, good enough for me.

My other car is a V8 m3 so I'm used to it :D

MIne's just done 300 miles in 2 weeks on a full tank (£85), premium fuel, 100% urban.
57 litres = 15 gal = 20mpg.
The van did 3 regens during this time.

102E6 with 50-100kg payload.

Changed all filters and recently changed oil.

I'm not flooring it and just can't understand why my mpg is so low. Anyone any idea what could be causing such poor mpg?

MIne's just done 300 miles in 2 weeks on a full tank (£85), premium fuel, 100% urban.
57 litres = 15 gal = 20mpg.
The van did 3 regens during this time.

102E6 with 50-100kg payload.

Changed all filters and recently changed oil.

I'm not flooring it and just can't understand why my mpg is so low. Anyone any idea what could be causing such poor mpg?
When mines doing a regen it eats diesel

My 150 dsg kombi day van does around 26/28 mpg according to the mfd on 20”s driving like a nun around town..,
My question is if I put 16”s on will it make much difference to the mpg?

1651174894530.png

Don’t know the answer but I think it will make a lot of difference.
I’m on 18” and 255/45 tyres, 150 dsg. Average 33.
My 2009 2.5Tdi 130 on 16” 215/65 was slightly better, 35mpg.
Difficult to compare 2 different engine and box (2.5 was manual) but I bet if I move to 16” alloys I would probably get again 35mpg if not more.

Hi Everyone just looking at purchasing a new 22plate 150 DSG high-line T6.1 T30 Kombi (twin doors) I Know this is a very vague question but if driven sensible what sort of miles are you getting to full tank?

I’d be using this for my work at lot of motorways, weight wouldn’t be too heavy just photography lighting gear.

I currently have a Seat Alhambra 1.9 150bhp which I’m looking to replace and I get around 600-650 to a tank!

Thanks P

Mine's a 204, MY2019 full camper conversion with a lot of extra weight doing mostly short journeys round town, and I get low 20's:oops:, increasing to mid 30's on a run when I don't have my work kit in it. I get the impression that there's not a huge difference between figures for the 150's and the 204's. I'm still under 10k on the clock and some posts suggest that it improves as you get towards 15k, but I just don't buy some of the claims on here of 50MPG - unless they're sat inside running the diesel heater and the missus is round the back, pushing....:oops: If that's you, at least have the decency to take the handbrake off.....:uh run:

Mine is a 204, 2017, long wheelbase, DSG and 4motion... Probably the heaviest of all models. Generally loaded with 2 adults, 2 kids, a medium dog a lot of heavy equipment, camping gear, bed frame, water tank,.... So a big heavy machine and probably as full as they get. I would don't consider myself a fast driver.
Most of the mileage I do is on French motorways, so that is 80 mph solid on the regulator, where I get 30 to 33 mpg (depending on wind, hills versus flat terrain,....) Urban will be 30 top, and it will drop into the mid 20's for short urban distances. UK motorways I can get 35mpg, sometimes a bit more.
40s could potentially be feasible in flat terrain, without traffic and staying well below the speed limit and at constant speed.
As for those getting 50mpg... NOT WITH MY VAN!! well, maybe downhill with a tailwind...

Back