Motorbike in the back? Show us your set up......

I slept in my van with my KTM 525 EXC once... woke up with a massive headache from breathing in petrol fumes all night (the downside of a carbureted engine). My 390 Adventure being fuel injected is much better but I now prefer enough room in my Kombi to be comfortable, so the bike gets rolled outside and locked to the back wheel, it's too close to allow the wheel to be removed (I think I might wake up before that anyway). It gets a decent chain and padlock through the frame and disc locks on both wheels, I also strap it down with a tie down and a mahoosive tent peg so it doesn't blow into the van if it gets windy. All of this results in a huge buggeration factor if they want to nick it and in any case i'm always at events where there are dozens if not hundreds of more desirable and less well locked bikes :sneaky:

Im looking at getting a new motorbike but am not sure what ladder to get that wont damage the rear bumper. I've only got the two front tie down points (behind the front seats) will they be enough to secure a bike in transit?

Im looking at getting a new motorbike but am not sure what ladder to get that wont damage the rear bumper. I've only got the two front tie down points (behind the front seats) will they be enough to secure a bike in transit?
One of the aluminium ones as shown in post #7

Ramp quality depends on the weight of the bike, most will only support up to 350Kg, some less, and re the two tie down points, well, yes they will be enough to secure the bike to, but won't be enough to keep it from smashing through the front window in an accident.
I made a bike rack out of a sheet of 3mm steel and an Abikes Steady Stand, secured to 4 of the floor seat mounting points for the front wheel, and a set of Moto Clix restraints to hold the rear down and keep the handlebars from hitting the interior of the van.
PlateInPlace2.jpg

Nice :thumbsup:

I use something similar, it’s a canvas wheel sling, but I put it around the leading part of the front wheel to prevent it sliding forward in a shunt.

262B840F-6AEB-47E3-B81F-F4675C3DAACE.jpeg

I also use 2 ramps for loading. 1 for the bike and one for me to walk up, I find it much steadier and safer.
(OK it’s a Crafter but the method is the same)

2A7B1B24-F169-4CC2-9631-387321EDE041.jpeg

Thanks chaps, I purchased 1 ramp and some straps. Had a bit of a faff to attach the straps as the carabiner wouldnt fit on one side (I've removed some of the tie points on the floor due to campervan layout.) Having something to stop the front wheel moving seems like a great idea as I had to straighten it a couple of times.

20230304_145025.jpg

Bought some "Bike Binderz" to provide a way of securing my bike without the need for straps etc. Just had the two rails fitted to the van floor, and tried the bike with them for the first time.
Roll bike into van and into front wheel chock, put bike binderz over each foot peg and secure the pins; then pull the lever up to tension and secure the pin on the main unit. I need to adjust the height of the main assembly so it cinches the bike down lower/tighter, but other than that no issues and a breeze to use.
This is the ADV bike kit, which means I can use it on my featherweight enduro, or on a full size road bike (load limit is 360kg). All other similar products I have seen are only suitable for mx/enduro bikes.
Link here:
BB1.jpg

BB2.jpg

BB3.jpg

BB4.jpg

BB5.jpg

BB6.jpg

That looks really neat and tidy. Can I ask which wheel chock you are using as looks like its connects to the seat bases? I'm using a Warrior for my setup but isn't fixed and can move around.

That looks really neat and tidy. Can I ask which wheel chock you are using as looks like its connects to the seat bases? I'm using a Warrior for my setup but isn't fixed and can move around.
Hi,
If you check out the “Show us your motorcycles” thread, I provided all the details there. (Page 41)
I just bought a generic wheel chock, two used seat mounts from e-Bay and then had the arms fabricated in steel that bolt to each side of the chock. Painted them black to match the chock with a rattle can of ‘Smoothrite’.
Scott.

Last edited:
Back