Motor Caravan Internal Features - Minimum install to meet speed limit requirements

goldeneye243

T6 Guru
Current build is a T32 highline with full width rib bed and pop top roof - No table, or cooking facilities. Double front seat, so that should cover storage??

Are there any space efficient (and cost efficient) ways of making it qualify as a motor caravan? It would be handy to be out of the grey area for speed limits and ferry trips etc...

Do not want to sacrifice much space if at all possible!!

Any thought welcome...

Current build is a T32 highline with full width rib bed and pop top roof - No table, or cooking facilities. Double front seat, so that should cover storage??

Are there any space efficient (and cost efficient) ways of making it qualify as a motor caravan? It would be handy to be out of the grey area for speed limits and ferry trips etc...

Any thought welcome...
Try the search function, plenty of info available including the official DVLA guidance.

I don't think I worded my post terribly well - I know what the requirements are but I'm looking for practical implementations of how to satisfy the requirements without losing too much space in the van (and getting benefit from them!)
Have a read of the previous link and use the SEARCH function. Unless you have a High Top van (pop tops don’t count) it can’t be classified as a Motor Caravan’, that’s it DVLA are not open to discussion, end of…..
If you want a campervan then go ahead, the best you can expect is Van with Windows.
If you just want to save space try looking a removable pods and / or rear seats on rails.

Have a read of the previous link and use the SEARCH function. Unless you have a High Top van (pop tops don’t count) it can’t be classified as a Motor Caravan’, that’s it DVLA are not open to discussion, end of…..
If you want a campervan then go ahead, the best you can expect is Van with Windows.
If you just want to save space try looking a removable pods and / or rear seats on rails.
OK - Clearly still not clear enough!!

I didn't say that I wanted to change the V5 - That has not been possible for years.
As my van is a T32 it is (probably) not classed as a dual purpose vehicle, but can be classed as a motor caravan for other aspects if it meets the requirements

"It is important to remember that even if the vehicle’s body type is not changed to ‘motor caravan’, the vehicle can still be used for this purpose as long as the keeper is satisfied the converted vehicle meets the required internal features for motor caravans."

Mine does not have
A table
  • they shall be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation area, mounted independently of other items
  • a table mounting arrangement shall be secured as a permanent feature, although the table top may be detachable
  • permanently secured seating must be fixed to the floor or sidewall and available for use at the table
Or cooking facilities

Your conversion must have a minimum of a single ring cooking facility or microwave, which shall be secured directly to the vehicle floor or side wall as a permanent feature.

If the cooking facility is fuelled by an on-board gas supply:

• the fuel reservoir must be secured in a storage cupboard or the reservoir secured to the vehicle structure
If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply:
  • the fuel supply pipe must be permanently secured to the vehicle structure
As you say one option would be a pod (incidentally if removable it would presumably not be permanent) but I do not want the space taken up with a pod generally.

I'm interested to know if there are any neat solutions to this (other than a pod)

We need a “head in hands crying” or a “flogging a dead horse” reaction emoji! This subject is done to death in links @DXX sent through.

* reaches for SWMBO’s “Mummy’s Little Helpers” tablets!

We need a “head in hands crying” or a “flogging a dead horse” reaction emoji! This subject is done to death in links @DXX sent through.

* reaches for SWMBO’s “Mummy’s Little Helpers” tablets!
Is it still not clear? Did you bother reading my post?

I'm looking for neat ways to comply that are not a pod - Not debating the situation with DVLA!

@DXX didn't post any links and I know it will not get reclassified, just looking for suggestions of solutions other than a pod.

@goldeneye243 the only reclassification you could possibly get is van with windows. Any cooking or table facilities will not allow you to change any aspect of your vehicle classification other than van with windows. Even officially recognised converters are struggling to get vans classified as anything else other than van with windows. A permanent high top is about the only way for reclassification at the moment with graphics that distinctly identify it as a motor home/camper van as well as bed, table, cooking facilities. Also being a T32 unless it was registered as either M1 or N1 (I forget which is which) you won’t be able to change the speed restrictions. Regarding ferry trips just book it by what it appears to be not what the V5 says. But to sum up - there is no way to comply

So for clarity - the speed limit bit isn't important ?
I'm not sure which regs you are trying to meet to achieve this.

Pete

The speed limit is important - My van is not a dual purpose vehicle due to the weight.

My understanding is that if I have a table and cooker installed (I already have bed and seats), then magically it viewed as a motor caravan (even if classed as a van with windows on the V5) and can go quicker (which is clearly ridiculous) but would need to be challenged if pulled over.

It would be convenient to have a stove and table built into the van and I am looking for ways to achieve it other than the standard pod as the extra space is actually very useful.

Post 6 hopefully explains what I mean.

Stop over thinking things, I've got a kombi as my work van, not classed as dual purpose so I should stick to lower limits as with my previous vans going back nearly 20 years, do I drive them any differently to a car - no. Has it ever caused me any problems - no. Adding whatever you need to add to still have to go through the rigmarole of challenging a ticket will cost time and money, driving sensibly and slowing down once in a blue moon is free.

The speed limit is important - My van is not a dual purpose vehicle due to the weight.

My understanding is that if I have a table and cooker installed (I already have bed and seats), then magically it viewed as a motor caravan (even if classed as a van with windows on the V5) and can go quicker (which is clearly ridiculous) but would need to be challenged if pulled over.

It would be convenient to have a stove and table built into the van and I am looking for ways to achieve it other than the standard pod as the extra space is actually very useful.

Post 6 hopefully explains what I mean.
These people have the answers

You’re not going to get it reclassified as a motor caravan and you’re not going to get the speed restrictions changed either. Done.

Is it still not clear? Did you bother reading my post?

I'm looking for neat ways to comply that are not a pod - Not debating the situation with DVLA!

@DXX didn't post any links and I know it will not get reclassified, just looking for suggestions of solutions other than a pod.
Thankfully, I would consider myself literate and recognise when I have read enough. It is also obvious from posts after mine that confusion reigns regarding your intent and aspirations other than “please conjoin with me to cobble together a potential line of defence that I could use in an attempt to challenge a Notice of Intended Prosecution as I wish to travel faster than I am allowed to!”

Don’t let that stop you from stomping your feet and throwing tantrums though!

Any thought welcome...
I get your question, but the bits you need are supposed to be fixed, so portable kit isn’t going to work, a pod also doesn’t count.

So is it space you cant give up in your quest?

I’ve had a few beers & a glass of red or two, so here goes.
Forget the DVLA, you need to comply with the Construction & Use regs 1979. These define the properties of a “motor caravan”. If you meet the requirements of the regs, then you are good to go. You need to satisfy yourself that you have met the requirements & are confident to stand up in court and argue your case. The salient points are, permanent, living accommodation, table, seating, cooking, storage.
If you are trying to skirt around the regs by getting a commercial vehicle under the radar, then you need to be prepared to argue your case.
In any case, regardless of the classification, if you are carrying commercial goods, then it’s all bets off.

Back