Marks on rear Brake discs

Fluff34567

Swiss member
T6 Guru
Hi, I have a 4m caravelle and noticed the rear disc braking surface is rusty on both discs. I haven't looked at the disc face thats on the inside. Faces are I would describe as glazed rust, not shining raw like the front.

Does the brake system use a shuttle valve to distribute different brake pressure front rear or is it normal ?

You're clearly not driving fast enough, and braking far too early! Drive it like you stole it! Being serious however, I think that modern vehicles' systems distribute more force to the front discs as the front of the vehicle becomes heavier during braking, to avoid the rear wheels locking up and skidding. Obviously ABS will come in at this point too. Mine (not 4M) are evenly shiny, and if I ever start to drive it like I stole it, the passenger seat voice activated autopilot soon chips in!

Load it up in the rear..... really heavy stuff and it`ll help too. Unladen vans are all the same.

Once the rust sets in there is no real way to recover them without replacement.
I am sure that the disks I had from the factory were poor quality as the replacement Brembos are fine and I have left it standing more than ever in the last 12 month.

Agree with that. One of the threads referenced above was mine and it’s been fine ever since - even with much less used since last March

Once the rust sets in there is no real way to recover them without replacement.
I am sure that the disks I had from the factory were poor quality as the replacement Brembos are fine and I have left it standing more than ever in the last 12 month.
Yes, I fully understand that, it was more for light surface rust to assist in keeping it at bay. " Brake discs rusty"... its open to interpretation.

Reactions: Loz
Does anybody know what causes these marks on the rear discs.
Can is making a grinding noise when brakes are pressed very softly.

DFDF8AB7-E2F7-4744-A38B-1F5CC7F00ACB.jpeg

904459E7-2C62-4FAD-A889-97516089D99E.jpeg

those disc rotors look scored, lipped and pitted.

how many miles in the van?

when were rear pads/discs changed?

its normally two sets of pads per disc change (rough average)

check the pad to see how much meat left on them? . . . post a pic?

but as above, could be time for new pads and discs.

Could just be a bit of corrosion - T6 rear discs seem to be prone to this.
I would check your pads, and if there is plenty of pad left, then do some heavy braking somewhere safe to see if the discs clean up.
It’s hard to tell from the photo how big the wear lip is.

Pete

I’m going Into the garage in the morning for new discs and pads. Just to be sure.
As im away for two weeks from Saturday,
What discs and pads to people recommend?

I’m going Into the garage in the morning for new discs and pads. Just to be sure.
As im away for two weeks from Saturday,
What discs and pads to people recommend?
EuroParts are usually discounting Bremo

OEM or decent Patent.

I've always used Pagid . . but i have a set of Brembo to try next.

some more info:

Brembo and some silicone grease for me = non squeaky brakes. Nothing worse than your bus actually sounding like a bus.

Just goes to show don’t take what they look like on the outside. Both discs binding and scored badly on inner side of disc. All new fitted now and drive alike new.

4C149C40-0580-410A-B570-7D5AD35B4C05.jpeg

D5D079BC-0A09-41DD-9DD0-AA23EEE34657.jpeg

D301D325-27B5-4225-BA87-0525E710D9DD.jpeg

Just goes to show don’t take what they look like on the outside. Both discs binding and scored badly on inner side of disc. All new fitted now and drive alike new.

View attachment 126381

View attachment 126382

View attachment 126383
Hopefully those pads are chipped from levering them over the lip on the disc and weren’t damaged in service?
From the photos I estimate the discs are still inside the wear limit but the corrosion pitting finally got them.

Back