Thinking About Fitting Rear Drums,??

chriscroft

15 years of VW T 'ing
VIP Member
T6 Legend
2 1/2 years old; 36k miles, took it in for a new cam belt tensioner and cam belt (under warrantee , rattling tensioner)
Whilst it was in, I asked them to look at the brakes, as the pad warning light has come on briefly a couple of times.
Rear brake pads shot; fronts still 50%; oh and rear discs heavily corroded , and need replacing.

So just for fun had the argument that giving they show very little signs of wear, it is not wear & tear; and therefore VW must have used sub-standard material/design in their manufacture......Warrantee Claim!!!!!.....

Oh no brakes aren't covered... they are a wearing part.......but they aren't worn.......
Oh it's Environmental Wear....... You must live in a very Corrosive area!........ A Bloody field in the middle of Lincolnshire 30 miles from the coast, there is no industrial activity, no car congestion, just a few tractors, cows, sheep and potatoes.

Anyway I guess because we travel very lightly loaded, and rarely tow, the rears just don't enough use to keep them polished.

So I've had new rear pads fitted, refused new rear disc ( I was sulking :(); but looking at the rear discs now, I guess they will eat through the new pads very quickly

Front discs; top picture (17" chassis)
Rear discs; bottom picture

Should I consider getting some rear drums fitted???????:mad:, given that i don't use this van/vel in it's intended way. Could it be a forum first????. In the good old days, garages would offer a disc skim for £35/corner, bring back the good old days.
I wonder if it will be better or worst with PHEV/All-electric; with regenerative braking the discs will get even less maintenance use?????

IMG_0219.jpg IMG_0218.jpg

I remember a few years ago my Disco 3 needed new discs all round. Land Rover quoted me £90+vat each just for the discs, but they were on back order. My local motor factors had Lockheed ones (Land Rover OEM) on the shelf for £35+vat

Back