Ocean lowering: B8 shocks or B14 coilovers?

michaelc

hi chaps. I have a t6 ocean and it rolls around like a drunk after a skin full. I am running 18 inch wheels and would like information from anyone who as fitted the 30mm lowering strings and then the B14 shocks on at30 chassis. are the B14 coil overs a better bet along with the H&R anti roll bars. I know its a van, but it rides like a pig at the moment. I don't want to end up with something that is rock hard, just more controlled.
what are your views.

There are 2 options:
The B12 kit which is a combination of an unadjustable B8 damper and a spring - usually a 30mm spring but you can go to 50mm
The B14 which is an adjustable damper and spring combined.

thanks for replies, but saying I know which one I would put money does not answer the question. so in truth know one on this forum knows. thanks anyway

thanks for replies, but saying I know which one I would put money does not answer the question. so in truth know one on this forum knows. thanks anyway

Hi Michael. Sorry you didn't find my post helpful. There are quite a few threads discussing B14s at length - hopefully you've found these.
I have a T32 bought new in May 2017. I looked into suspension options very thoroughly before committing to the B14s for my van. As standard I found the damping to be very poor - I like to feel that the mass of the vehicle is well under control. To me this is 'comfortable' (though the ride may feel firm) and generates more confidence. The B14s make a huge difference in terms of body control - and I think the ride compromise is an acceptable one. But the B14s will not change the inherent handling balance - the van will still be set up to understeer.
A few weeks later I then fitted the H&R anti roll bars, set to their STIFFEST setting (I think this point is very important). These made a frankly staggering difference to the handling balance. My van now feels very neutral and very enjoyable to drive. I don't think the H&Rs made any significant impact on ride quality.

Hope you find this a little more helpful ;)

i found that my B14's have given my caravelle a very car like ride, as @YellowHound mentions, it will feel firmer but comfortable and the shocks match the dampers perfectly.

thanks, so let me get it correct. you went for the B14 coil overs and then the HR anti roll bars. I know that the van will not drive like my car, but at the moment there is next to know control of the body mass at all and it feels like a rudderless boat. Its a pity that VW can produce something so expensive that needs a small fortune later to get right.

I guess VW has to cover all bases with the factory set up and of course it’s a van which has to take abuse. I looked at all the threads and asked the same questions the other week. The opinion is fairly clear that B14 are the way to go (mine is booked in) I’m not going for anti roll bars as well due to cost but people definitely recommend them. Hope that helps too

This is for a California so there is only one base to cover. Its just an example of VW cost cutting. are you going for the coil overs??

This is for a California so there is only one base to cover. Its just an example of VW cost cutting. are you going for the coil overs??

I’m sure I’ve read a post somewhere on here where someone just fitted the H&R ARB and was pleased with the difference. Have a search and you’ll find it. If body roll is your concern, it make the difference that you’re after.

I’m sure I’ve read a post somewhere on here where someone just fitted the H&R ARB and was pleased with the difference. Have a search and you’ll find it. If body roll is your concern, it make the difference that you’re after.
This is what i was going to suggest as a possibilty
ARB will help reduce body roll
B14 will firm the suspension but also lower it (min 40mm i think)
Other dampers are available (like the B8 or B12 kits) that could produce better handling without lowering it ?

At the end of the day any amount of lowering reduces (potential) spring travel length and would therefore make it stiffer ?

Hi Michael. Sorry you didn't find my post helpful. There are quite a few threads discussing B14s at length - hopefully you've found these.
I have a T32 bought new in May 2017. I looked into suspension options very thoroughly before committing to the B14s for my van. As standard I found the damping to be very poor - I like to feel that the mass of the vehicle is well under control. To me this is 'comfortable' (though the ride may feel firm) and generates more confidence. The B14s make a huge difference in terms of body control - and I think the ride compromise is an acceptable one. But the B14s will not change the inherent handling balance - the van will still be set up to understeer.
A few weeks later I then fitted the H&R anti roll bars, set to their STIFFEST setting (I think this point is very important). These made a frankly staggering difference to the handling balance. My van now feels very neutral and very enjoyable to drive. I don't think the H&Rs made any significant impact on ride quality.

Hope you find this a little more helpful ;)

Hi Yellowhound - great reply. My T32 is currently on std shocks with sportline springs (dealer fit). I would like to go a little lower, but I think the standard shocks won't take it (not without destroying ride quality). Did you lower your van too?

Hi Yellowhound - great reply. My T32 is currently on std shocks with sportline springs (dealer fit). I would like to go a little lower, but I think the standard shocks won't take it (not without destroying ride quality). Did you lower your van too?
To go lower with comfort you need to go with b14's. I have a T32 and it has totally transformed the ride, like a different van.

It rolls more because it is top heavy with all the crap fitted IE the cupboards, gas etc my beach handles not a lot different and I'm on 18" wheels but its a van at the end of the day not a car so need to be driven accordingly. Yep lowering and stiffening will help but no way will it handle like my old Mini classic which was in essence like driving a Kart on the roads. Got to admit I'm seriously thinking of lowering mine a bit just to cut out the wallowing.

@DaveF Yes my van is lowered but only by the minimum available with the B14 kit. So my B14s are set to their 'highest' which is something like a 50mm (or is 40mm?) drop from where it would sit as standard. Lowering wasn't my reason for fitting the kit - I simply didn't like the uncontrolled 'sitting on top of a pogo stick' response of the van.

@DaveF Yes my van is lowered but only by the minimum available with the B14 kit. So my B14s are set to their 'highest' which is something like a 50mm (or is 40mm?) drop from where it would sit as standard. Lowering wasn't my reason for fitting the kit - I simply didn't like the uncontrolled 'sitting on top of a pogo stick' response of the van.

Sounds like this is the kit for me then....thanks. I don't find mine too bouncy though, but I would like some better handling too. I run it on 18's because I don't want to lose the drivability by fitting bigger wheels.

Sounds like this is the kit for me then....thanks. I don't find mine too bouncy though, but I would like some better handling too. I run it on 18's because I don't want to lose the drivability by fitting bigger wheels.

I would think carefully about what aspect of the car's ride/handling you want to change though. The H&R anti roll bards transformed the handling balance of my van whereas the B14s did not. As std, as with almost all vehicles, it is set up to understeer (quite strongly in my opinion - but then it is a van). The H&R bars shifted the handling balance of my van away from understeer to a much more neutral balance.

I would think carefully about what aspect of the car's ride/handling you want to change though. The H&R anti roll bards transformed the handling balance of my van whereas the B14s did not. As std, as with almost all vehicles, it is set up to understeer (quite strongly in my opinion - but then it is a van). The H&R bars shifted the handling balance of my van away from understeer to a much more neutral balance.

Yep, I would go H&R too - I don't want the van slammed, but I would like it a little lower - which I don't want to do with stock suspension as I think it'll become too uncomfortable.

Back