Lowering & 4-wheel Laser Alignment - How I Done It -

Its that time again . . . New Boots and another Hunter session . . . (slight drift to the left this time)

20200130_113540.jpg 20200130_114005.jpg 20200131_155320.jpg 20200131_155332.jpg 20200131_155353.jpg 20200131_155534.jpg

New Venue this time, check them out > Welcome to AllTyres | Tyres | Alignment | Brakes | Batteries

Great set of guys, Dell & Scott.

make the effort into:
checking ALL Tyre pressures.
checking all other tyres
Torque down all bolts to spec
use cleaning wheel to remove old debris,
added anti-seize to alloy/hub join,

20200131_155810.jpg

Its that time again . . . New Boots and another Hunter session . . . (slight drift to the left this time)

View attachment 59640 View attachment 59641 View attachment 59642 View attachment 59643 View attachment 59644 View attachment 59645

New Venue this time, check them out > Welcome to AllTyres | Tyres | Alignment | Brakes | Batteries

Great set of guys, Dell & Scott.

make the effort into:
checking ALL Tyre pressures.
checking all other tyres
Torque down all bolts to spec
use cleaning wheel to remove old debris,
added anti-seize to alloy/hub join,

View attachment 59646

Another great write up session @Dellmassive I noticed on the first hunter set up the guys dialled in "no load" and the recent one was "full load".
Is there any method behind the settings? I am just about to have mine done and was going down the "no load" settings as advised by a few knowledgeable owners on here. :):thumbsup:

thats a very good point . . . . the guy did ask me if i was carrying a load . . . . ? i just told him that the van was at its normal weight . . .

they have asked me to drive it for a few days/a week to see if the drifting has been resolved . . . . ill ask when i take i back.

i think the "NO LOAD" is the preferred setting reading between the lines.

thats a very good point . . . . the guy did ask me if i was carrying a load . . . . ? i just told him that the van was at its normal weight . . .

they have asked me to drive it for a few days/a week to see if the drifting has been resolved . . . . ill ask when i take i back.

i think the "NO LOAD" is the preferred setting reading between the lines.
Cheers, thought I would ask in case it was a special trick or something. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I hope it sorts your issues.

Great detail on this thread , Well done , however excessive lowering is the cause of alignment shifts and normally these cant be adjusted out .

Powerflex make a range of camber and castor adjustment bushes but often even they aren't enough in really low vans ( they get almost a full degree of adjustment )

In the T 32 you can fit Camber CAM bolts to the hub bracket which can adjust Negative camber to get clearance on big tyres and wheels .

The biggest problem is toe in on the rear axle after excessive lowering . The axle does pivot on a line across the vehicle but excessive drops induce toe in and this cant be adjusted out , The rear wheels move to the front which is actually shortening the wheel base as well

Normal lowering up to 40 to 50 mm shouldn't cause any wheel alignment issues at all .
Also important note here is that excessive drops cause excessive stress on drive shaft C V joints ,

What would you say is excessive drops?.
Anything below 50 mm is considered excessive . , If you take the official H&R range of springs at 40 mm and Eibach at 30 mm these are all T UV approved it should tell you that these types of drops are normal .

Hi from down under :)
Noted with interest Dellmassive wheel alignment print outs: Aug 1918 (From factory & after) & Feb 2020. How come the Feb 2020 reading for front right camber changed nearly 1 deg? (I would believe the 2020 reading).

I have been doing lots of reading up on Transporter suspension (I am retired). I claim because your van is lowered the suspension resembles a fully loaded van all the time, I say the front toe should be set at '0' and the rear at 0 deg. 25min. each side. Note the way the factory had the rear toe.

See the attached VW Service instructions chart. p191.

DSC00352.JPG

Attachments

• vw-t6-running-gear-axles-steering-eng (6) SUSPENSION by VW 2019 GENUINE.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 49
It is easy, just make sure you get 4 wheel alignment done by someone with the right kit (such as hunter) and knows what they are doing.
When I lowerd mine took it to kwik fit who have hunter gauges. Manager told me they couldn't do it. Could only adjust it to factory settings as it had been lowerd the settings are different and they didn't have them!

When I lowerd mine took it to kwik fit who have hunter gauges. Manager told me they couldn't do it. Could only adjust it to factory settings as it had been lowerd the settings are different and they didn't have them!
Hunter is good equipment but it cant guarantee the operators capability , TO say the lowered van has different settings > What planet ?

E7E108DE-1495-43BF-9DD0-D8001C507DE2.jpeg
Had the tracking checking today after Steve @CRS Performance sorted my suspension last week and these are the results.

The guy recommended that the toe in on the rear was left as it was to counteract the camber change caused by the lowering. From what he said I understood that toe could be corrected but camber couldn’t. He said that with the camber and no toe in the camber would rub the inside edge of the tyres but with the toe in the wear would be even across the tyre. Therefore, I went with his recommendation and no adjustments were made. Any thoughts on this?

It’s a fairly fully loaded camper conversion T28 102 btw

image.jpg
for comparison, this is the readout after getting the 30mm springs with std shocks fitted during conversion. Note the caster. Was told at the time that there was no adjustment for this. Toe is in spec though but I have gone a little lower this time

Rang nearest Hunter equipped garage to get booked in after having coilovers fitted on our full camper and asked about having them do it specifically at a 'no load' setting mentioned on here. The guy on the phone seemed unsure and stated they would need to know what to set the rear to!? I tried explaining what id read on here but still insisted that they would need to know a setting for the rear.
Which leads me to ask how important is the 'no load' setting? Am i wasting time and money if I turn up and they just use the auto settings? Am I missing something?

Back