lost with solar panel options

hey all, I am lost with what solar panel to install.

I was recommended this option Solar set 12V/160W with high performance module from Carbest - VW California TEAM but with my limited knowledge, I am hesitant to pay nearly a $1k on an item I have no experience with.

I also read many blogs recommending renogy 200W 200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel. any feedback?

Thanks
As an example, I have a Victron 170W and smart MPPT controller plus fitting kit ect. and it`ll not cost $1K !!! That`s frightening!

As an example, I have a Victron 170W and smart MPPT controller plus fitting kit ect. and it`ll not cost $1K !!! That`s frightening!
guess it is the price to be independent :( it seems there is no way out of it as long as I am looking for quality product

@Toufic_13

more info here:

hey all, I am lost with what solar panel to install.

I was recommended this option Solar set 12V/160W with high performance module from Carbest - VW California TEAM but with my limited knowledge, I am hesitant to pay nearly a $1k on an item I have no experience with.

I also read many blogs recommending renogy 200W 200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel. any feedback?

Thanks
That panel looks very much like
The factory fitted one that came with my Reimo roof. It lasted 18months before it failed. The replacement Carbest panel lasted 2 years before that too failed. I’m now on panel 3 which is a rigid panel. Re. MppT controller, I wouldn’t fit anything but a Victron.

That panel looks very much like
The factory fitted one that came with my Reimo roof. It lasted 18months before it failed. The replacement Carbest panel lasted 2 years before that too failed. I’m now on panel 3 which is a rigid panel. Re. MppT controller, I wouldn’t fit anything but a Victron.
is there a specific reason why it failed?

£120 for 100w panel

View attachment 153029

and

£224 for 50A DC-DC + MPPT.

View attachment 153030

and you get discount from the link:

I can get you a discount at Renogy United Kingdom

thank you so much for this detailed reply and for the discount

Buy a cheap flexi panel and it will fail. Our original motorhome still has the 300 watts worth of flexi panels on fitted in 2013. The van lives outside 247 here in Spain! Without problems, still giving loads of amps. I fitted a 200watt flexi panel to the camper van we have now, back end of last year without worries about failing.

Buy a cheap flexi panel and it will fail. Our original motorhome still has the 300 watts worth of flexi panels on fitted in 2013. The van lives outside 247 here in Spain! Without problems, still giving loads of amps. I fitted a 200watt flexi panel to the camper van we have now, back end of last year without worries about failing.
do you mind sharing the brand? thanks

do you mind sharing the brand? thanks
Sure, this is the current one on my camper. Took about 2 hours start to finish fitting time. Worst bit drilling the hole........ As I'm in Spain a little cheaper than UK prices, but here is a UK link, however shop around. Today as I write this in the camper I'm getting 10amps from sun (sometimes get up to 12amps) at 11:25am using Victron MPPT. This morning used electric kettle 3 times, cooked breakfast on induction hob, all via inverter. The battery is already fully charged.

With an efficiency of 18.75%, the cells of the monocrystalline panels are embedded in a multi-layer structure. The upper layer is a plastic polymer called ETFE which is highly resistant to corrosion and weathering. The lower layer of the structure is composed of an aluminium sheet to contain and disperse heat generated by the cells. The aluminium also makes the panel very strong, making it ideal for nautical applications where it is possible to step on the panel. NOT recommended standing on. 4 mm thickness

Built with 7 layers, including the ETFE surface, the best surface in terms of efficiency and durability, and a PCB sheet that stiffens it, making it more robust and better at dissipating heat.

IMG_1811.jpeg
Above the worst bit............ drilling the hole
IMG_1813.jpeg
Stuck done with air gaps left running across - not front to rear.
IMG_1816.jpeg
As you can see, the pimples collect the light from different angles, so even with roof down can collect solar from sun at early morning and late evening.

Last edited:
Hi i am looking at some flexible panels, they state 18v and not 12 v would this be an issue? i will be using it with a 100 |30 amp Victron mppt

Thanks
Daniel

Hi i am looking at some flexible panels, they state 18v and not 12 v would this be an issue? i will be using it with a 100 |30 amp Victron mppt

Thanks
Daniel
That’s how it should be, but I suggest you do more research. @Dellmassive has done exhaustive research & written a thorough paper on the subject.

@Qnapper Do you live in Spain? I am in the EU. Maybe you could provide a link for EU site for your panel? Are you happy with it yeah? I like that there is just one hole saw hole to drill. I will probably lay down some vinyl wrap under it to allow for easy replacement should it die in future. The 200W version seems to be unavailable rn on the link you sent above.

Back